+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: What celebrity death really affected you?

Re: What celebrity death really affected you?

The murder of John Lennon was the first. I was in college and had just heard the news when our dorm had a fire drill. It was all anyone talked about as we stood on the street on a freezing Boston night. There was a public vigil a few days later that I attended and was amazed at how quiet Copley Square was at that moment.

The second was Michael Jackson.......he was a huge part of my childhood and that one really hurt.

Marvin Gaye- I was young but my parents played Marvin Gaye music often. Was horrible to learn of his death and how he died made it even worse.

Princess Di, JFK Jr.-I remember being quite saddened by those 2

Aaliyah-R&B singer-just so young and seemed like a really sweet, down to earth girl who had gotten everything on track after dealing with R Kelly. Her family seems sweet and amazingly close.

Of course Michael Jackson. Grew up on his music, probably my first celebrity crush when "Thriller" came out. "Dancing Machine" was the first record I ever drove my folks crazy to take me to get. Would play it and do the robot until my parents would practically lose their minds-lol.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

John Lennon. I was on the phone with a friend who had just moved to Vanouver when the news came on the radio. We ended up talking about it for a good part of the night and I ended up with an $80 phone bill (lot of money back then), which infuriated my parents to no end.

Haven't been really affected by any other celebrity deaths until quite recently with the passing of Grant McLennan (in 2006) and Alex Chilton (two months ago). Two tremendously talented musicians who had an enormous influence on quite a lot of the bands I love, both of who died far too young.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Elvis - since I can remember I loved his voice, and I still remember where I was when I heard the news on the radio. I hope future generations keep discovering his voice and legacy. He came up from 'nothing' - it's tragic, though, that some closest to him took such advantage.

I'd say John Lennon but at the time I wasn't that huge a fan of his. As I've gotten older I've come to respect his life work more and more. His work for peace and 'consciousness raising' for want of a better phrase, even more so than his music. But I love his lyrics. Working Class Hero says it all and then some.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I'd have to agree on Lady Di. There was a woman who used all her fame for good. People who crave the spotlight and take it for granted could take a lesson from her. I was 13 when she died, and still remember that moment when it came on the TV.

MJ; even though I grew up in the post Thriller, scandalous MJ era, who couldn't respect him? My sister was a huge MJ fan growing up. I felt really sorry for him that his life came to what it was in the spotlight but good for the fans for never losing sight of what an icon he was. Even though you know death comes sooner or later, you just think some entertainers will live forever.

John Ritter, Chris Farley, and Heath Ledger-all gone so soon before their time with so much to offer. I'm sure whether it was then or 50 years from their deaths they'd still be making movies and doing TV.

Lisa "Left Eye" of TLC and Aaliyah-was a big fan of both of these girls. Still have my TLC cds and can never get tired of listening to them. It was so tragic, because I believe they'd still be on the scene in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3905360;
    I find that a lot of them affect me as the older ones go, there goes more and more of my childhood.
    Well said mrd. I feel the very same way.

Jackie Onassis, May 1994. My mother loved her and JFK, I remember my mother crying for days, when he was assassinated. I was 6 yrs old. Even though we are Canadian, she had the President Plate hanging in the dining room in one of those gold plate hangers. We always had an interest in Jackie O and the news of her death made me feel deeply sad. It brought back the childhood memories.

Vincent Price, Sonny Bono and so many more already mentioned.

Pope John Paul II and Mother Teresa.

When Pope John Paul II died, I felt like something really good left this earth and it just felt a bit colder and bleaker.

When Mother Teresa died, it's like a protector was gone. Someone who looked out for humanity even ones she never met (with prayer.)

Two great saints of our time.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

John Lennon and Katherine Hepburn.

The Beatles were my first and only really big rock band crush. I had all of their music and even had my hair cut like their's. I still have the posters, fan magazines and collectable cards from the early days.

I always admired Katherine Hepburn. She did things her way in an era when women were suppose to follow meekly after the men and were suppose to not be smart enough or strong enough to handle their own business affairs or play any sports. She did it all and opened the gates to a lot of today's women.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Kao

River Phoenix, Lady Di and Michael Jackson.

Paul Newman's death really got me. My mom always loved him so I grew up watching his films and really felt an emptiness when he died.

River Phoenix's death was really really sad for me too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast