+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ricky Martin comes out of the closet

Re: Ricky Martin comes out of the closet

It's a non-issue to me, except that in my fantasy world, we could have had something together someday.

I'm not a Ricky fangirl, but he's very attractive. We only had a dalliance, anyway, way back when "La Vida Loca" was a thing.

And yeah, I don't like the idea of him "coming out" just to promote his book ($).
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

There were vacation pictures of him on a beach with his partner years ago. I think this is non news

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3866055;
    I've assumed it for years and admit I was extremely disappointed when I first realized it but only b/c I had a major crush on him. I don't know if anyone remembers, but he was part of the Puerto Rican group, Menudo, and they were HUGE down there. And he was their main star so I can see where it'd be difficult for him to 'officially' come out.
    I was a Charlie Rivera girl myself. Yes, I just admitted to liking Menudo back in the day.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Does he need money? Is that why he came out of the closet? Like MacKenzie Phillips claimed to have had an affair with her father just when her book came out? It seems as if it is all about the money.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I doubt Ricky needs money, he's got enough $$$$ holed up to last a lifetime. His mother was an accountant and his brothers involved in the business end of his empire.

It could be that someone was going to "out" him in some tabloid, but hopefully it was because, as he said, he wanted to be real with his life and set an example for his children.

It's not really surprising news, but I'm happy that he able to be his authentic self and not have to cater to his handlers, etc. He's a wonderful man who fights for the rights of exploited children in various countries. His foundation works with organizations around the world to protect children's rights and to keep them out of the clutches of human trafficers.

I remember seeing him on Oprah a few years ago talking about the human trafficing problem after the tsunami hit, they would try to claim orphaned children to sell into the sex trade.

If he plans on making a "comeback" anytime soon it might be a great idea to come out now. Not a huge shocker so not taking as much of a risk as some may be if they were to come out (I mean come on, I was more shocked to learn there wasn't a santa claus than I was to hear this bit of news). Back when he was having huge crossover appeal with "Livin la vida loca" and the two or three other songs that hit huge then (after that great Grammy performance), Barbara Walters did an interview with him where she pushed pretty hard about his sexuality. Even she said she regretted pushing so hard. Some say that damaged his crossover appeal. I don't know. I think it was one of those things where a certain type of music will break through and then the next cd comes along and they can't recapture that magic in a bottle. Sort of like Sean Paul, who had that cd that just had hit after hit after hit,and anything after that has not come close to getting that back again. They do well, especially in their own genre, but not the same as having your stuff played on every station known to man.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner;3865499;
    ^ I don't think Elton was in the closet.

Like Rock Hudson, everyone knew about Ricky long ago. It sure hurt his career.
    In the '70s, he was. That's the way I remember it anyway. Came out in the early '80s, I think. Like '82, or something. But ya, who knew?

FORT Fogey

Back in the 90's I didn't suspect that he was gay. He was the way all pop singers were back in the day. I'm really happy for him that he came out. Good for him. It wasn't really necessary. It was basically confirmed when he had his baby. Straight men don't acquire children in that way. And then those pictures of him with his boyfriend...
    I certainly don't think this will hamper his career. I hope the best for him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123