+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Woods' Accident

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

I'm just tired of the feeding frenzy that the media is whipping together!

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3768210;
    Here's some specific info about the first major corporation to completely drop Tiger as their representative--

"Accenture, the giant consulting firm, ended its six-year marketing relationship with Tiger Woods on Sunday, showing once again that in advertising as in sports, there are no sure things.

Mr. Woods had been featured in Accenture campaigns with the tagline, “Go On. Be a Tiger,” splashed in business magazines and airport waiting rooms since 2003. Since most consumers have no idea what a company like Accenture does, Mr. Woods became the human face of the corporation and a means to extol the corporate virtues of performance and risk-taking.

In a statement Sunday, the company said Mr. Woods, 34, was “no longer the best representative” for its advertising. The action came more than two weeks after a bizarre car accident involving Mr. Woods, who is married, led to a series of embarrassing revelations about affairs he has carried on with other women. Then on Friday he announced that he was taking a hiatus from golf.

Accenture is the first of Mr. Woods’s many sponsors to withdraw its support completely. Gillette has said that it would remove its Woods-related advertising for now and other sponsors, like AT&T, PepsiCo and Nike, have said they will wait to see when and how Mr. Woods returns to golf before making any permanent decisions. EA Sports, which has a line of best-selling Tiger Woods video games, is also standing by the golf star."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/14/bu...o.html?_r=1&hp
    Check out who Accenture was before they changed their business name. This is the pot calling the kettle black.

Tiger has many issues to deal with but they are his personally and public bashing is not warranted imo.

Kao

Considering the treacherous waters that Accenture dips into on a daily basis, they probably did him a favor!

Tag Heuer is standing by Tiger. Good for them, because this scandal has reached ridiculous levels. This is an issue between he and his wife.

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

I don't agree with the notion that companies that drop Tiger Woods at this point are doing so as some sort of punishment for his behavior. In some cases, I think it makes good business sense. He has some endorsements because of companies who want to be identified with his athletic excellence (Nike being a logical example) and I would expect they'll stick with him. But there are others who associate with him to increase awareness of their product, and for them, Tiger is not really of much use right now.

Any endorsement that relies on him playing golf (having a logo on his shirt sleeve or golf bag) would be losing the exposure their paying for during his indefinite leave. So why continue to pay for it? If you look at the way that Accenture used him in advertising, I think that comes into play. In their airport ads, Tiger's face was used to draw attention to the message. You notice Tiger before the logo, and then look for the message. Well if seeing Tiger's face prompts a person to say "Hey, did you hear the latest joke?" instead of looking at the message from Accenture, then again, it's a waste.

Endorsements are business relationships, not friendships. A decision to drop him or stick with him is not made from a standpoint of endorsing or punishing his behavior. I think its simply a question of whether or not the company still benefits from exposure gained through the partnership.

The latest news is they are now being investigated by CPS. I guess weeks after the fact, they are all concerned that the children were near when the 'incident' happened. Frankly, I just think they want their names in the news, too. If they were that concerned, they'd have been there the next day. As if Elin isn't dealing with enough.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by pminn1608;3768446;
    Check out who Accenture was before they changed their business name. This is the pot calling the kettle black.

Tiger has many issues to deal with but they are his personally and public bashing is not warranted imo.

The tournament that Tiger usually plays in for Accenture has given millions of dollars to charities in our area in the past.

These are the people who ultimately will suffer from what Tiger has done.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3768583;
    The latest news is they are now being investigated by CPS. I guess weeks after the fact, they are all concerned that the children were near when the 'incident' happened. Frankly, I just think they want their names in the news, too. If they were that concerned, they'd have been there the next day. As if Elin isn't dealing with enough.
    A legal advisor on one of the morning shows said that ANYONE could call Florida's CPS with a "complaint" and that CPS HAD to respond to check it out--with no proof opof the validity of the complaint.

In other words this could be someone who has no idea of the living arrangements of the children just trying to give Tiger a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3768634;
    The tournament that Tiger usually plays in for Accenture has given millions of dollars to charities in our area in the past.

What did Accenture do for it's employee's under it's previous name.
    The PGA does wonderful work for charities, we have a PGA tournament in our community every year and yes, Tiger has played here.

I think Accenture needs to keep their mouth shut with regard to Tiger.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3768634;

Why would the charities suffer, if Accenture is still the sponsor then they will continue to give the money. The tournement is a very lucrative one for the players so I am sure the top players will still show up for the prize money that is given.

FORT Fogey

I thought this was an intersting insight into how Tiger's activities could be kept quiet for so long--

"Unlike other professional athletes, who travel with teammates, golfers can
    insulate themselves from prying eyes if they choose. Like other high-end
    golfers, Woods usually travels by private jet. When he takes a car anywhere,
    he usually drives himself
    . The lack of privacy common to team sports isn't
    an issue.

"There are guys on the tour who have never met one another because they play
    at different times of the day
    ," said Feinstein. In 2007, he watched Nick
    Watney, who had just won his first PGA Tour tournament, gingerly approach
    Woods to introduce himself.

The night before the 2003 British Open, said Feinstein, Ben Curtis
    introduced himself to fellow pro Mike Weir. "So what brings you here?" Weir
    asked Curtis, who went on to win the tournament.

"The top players often stay in rented homes, and many even bring their own
    chefs to events, so there are fewer and fewer instances where, say, even at
    a major tournament, we'd run into them in town or at a restaurant as we once
    did,"
    said Jeff Babineau, editor of the Orlando-based Golfweek magazine.
    "Compare this to earlier eras when writers might dine or have a beer with
    Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklaus on the eve of rounds at major tournaments."

Babineau's office is about 10 minutes from Woods' home in Isleworth, a
    private golf community in Orlando where other sports stars and celebrities
    live. But even before Woods' domestic troubles became known, he was rarely
    seen around town. "He's left alone," Babineau said."

How Tiger got away with it....for so long - alt.gossip.celebrities | Google Groups

+ Reply to Thread