+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Woods' Accident

Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3759378;
    Actually, it is illegal to drive under the influence of any controlled substance. And Ambien is a controlled substance. Therefore, if he had taken it, it would be a violation of the law.
    Also, I think it may be illegal to drive under the influence of even an over-the-counter medication, if it impairs driving (and especially if the person causes an accident). It may vary by state, though.

There have also been efforts to make it illegal to drive with less than 4 hours of sleep, although I'm not sure which states actually have that on the books. That one would seem difficult to enforce, unless the driver owned up to it (to a law enforcement person).
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

I hate that this has happened and feel badly for all involved. Hope it is nothing bad that caused the crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3759203;
    How did he hit a neighbor's tree if the accident occurred on his property? Let me do that and refuse to answer the door and talk to the cops. "Unk is sleeping and can't be bothered. He'll get back to you." How long do you think it would take for them to come drag me out of the house and force a BAC test on me. Tiger Woods is not above the law. I like Tiger Woods and respect him as an athlete. He is definitely one of, if not the best golfer in history. That does not buy him a free pass. That's what pisses me off. He could be sleeping with the Queen of England for all I care. If he indeed was under the influence of a prescribed narcotic it is still illegal to operate a motor vehicle.
    Then maybe Tiger's neighbor should have him arrested for wrongful assault on a tree with a Caddy If his tree is that important. I have yet to hear any reports on the neighbor worrying about anything more than Tiger. So again why should anyone else? Who says he is getting a free pass? The man hasn't been accused of anything other than taking out a tree and last I look that wasn't a criminal offense. Why must everything someone famous does have to have be explained until the world feels it knows the truth anyway?

I don't recall my neighbor being put under such scrutiny when he took out his own garage with a moving truck trying to back it up late one night.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3759399;
    The man hasn't been accused of anything other than taking out a tree and last I look that wasn't a criminal offense
    A property damage automobile accident is a criminal offense. Failure to control I believe would apply in this case.

Why must everything someone famous does have to have be explained until the world feels it knows the truth anyway?
    When famous people are given special privileges it has a tendency to piss of those of us that are held accountable to the standards applied to everyday society.

I don't recall my neighbor being put under such scrutiny when he took out his own garage with a moving truck trying to back it up late one night.
    Had your neighbor knocked a down a tree in your yard how would you have felt?

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3758996;
    T
    And for two reasons to break out the back window was a smart thing to do. One, it keeps the broken glass away from a supposed unconscious Tiger. And two, there is a switch near the back that unlocks the front doors so all she had to do was flip the switch and run to the front door and let him out.
    So her story DOES work.

She didn't say she ran to the front door--the story was that she dragged him out the back.

But was it was the talk of the neighborhood? If not, the place where you live is unlike any I've ever seen. Around here, such an event will at minimum draw a small crowd, and it might even end up on tv if it's a slow local news day. And, I'm guessing that your neighbor isn't even a celebrity let alone as popular and well known as Tiger.

I'm still betting there's a lot more to the tale than we are hearing right now or may ever know.
    Last edited by queenb; 11-30-2009 at 06:23 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3759205;
    According to the incident report there was no alcohol involved. If there had been ANY evidence of DUI of ANY narcotic the cops would have done drug testing at the hospital.

If blood was drawn for such testing and DRE tests done we do not yet know about them.

BTW--results of chem panels for drugs tend to take some time to do--unlike what is seen on CSI-type shows on tv. So we'll just have to wait to hear about anything like that.

ETA--as far as I know it is not yet illegal to drive while sleeping under the influence of hypnotic drugs like Ambien.
    Ambien is not a narcotic Unk.

There was a Kennedy who's a Congressional rep that got in a car accident in D.C. while on Ambien. This was a few years ago. I don't remember what happened to his case, but that's when all the warnings about Ambien being responsible for sleep walking/eating/driving and other things started appearing.

From what I understand those that have had the issue with the sleep walking, etc., have no idea that they have done anything until they "wake up" the next morning and find evidence of cooking and eating full meals, taking off out of their houses, etc. It's actually scary some of the stuff I read. I got prescribed it before this stuff came out and it did nothing for me. I still didn't fall asleep which is when I was told that it does not work on 25% of the population. But now, no way would I take it after some of the crazy stuff people have done while taking it.

So if it was Ambien, then who's liable for the accident? The drug company? The dr. that prescribed it?

Queenb, the neighborhood he lives in has other celebrities. I believe that some of the Orlando Magic Pro Basketball team live there, as do quite a few famous tennis players and other sports stars. If it's like other high end/celebrity neighborhoods, I doubt they do congregate in the street at 2:30 and talk. They save it for their high end cocktail parties.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-30-2009 at 07:26 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3759224;
    I didn't think any reports had been released. Do you have a link to these?
    Unklescott--Hi. I saw that on most of the news shows I watched yesterday and overnight. CBS News had it. So it should be at their website cbsnews dot com.

Also the photos of the car crashed that are being shown are from TMZ so there's a good chance the report is on their website too.
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 11-30-2009 at 08:26 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3759469;
    Ambien is not a narcotic Unk.

There was a Kennedy who's a Congressional rep that got in a car accident in D.C. while on Ambien. This was a few years ago. I don't remember what happened to his case, but that's when all the warnings about Ambien being responsible for sleep walking/eating/driving and other things started appearing.

From what I understand those that have had the issue with the sleep walking, etc., have no idea that they have done anything until they "wake up" the next morning and find evidence of cooking and eating full meals, taking off out of their houses, etc. It's actually scary some of the stuff I read. I got prescribed it before this stuff came out and it did nothing for me. I still didn't fall asleep which is when I was told that it does not work on 25% of the population. But now, no way would I take it after some of the crazy stuff people have done while taking it.

So if it was Ambien, then who's liable for the accident? The drug company? The dr. that prescribed it?
    MRD--hi. You're right. There are different classes of controlled substances and the laws that do apply are specific to the different classes of the substances.

I think there was some litigation about Ambien in terms of the responsibility--but I can't remember how far the litigation has gotten so far.

Just a reminder to everyone that each state has its own laws so that each state will have different laws for each class of controlled substance.

FORT Fogey

Here's a portion of Florida law concerning "controlled substances." This is the section that addressses definitions under Florida law regarding 'controlled substnces.'.

November 30, 2009 Search Statutes: 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1997

The 2009 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
    CRIMES Chapter 893
    DRUG ABUSE PREVENTION AND CONTROL View Entire Chapter

893.02 Definitions.--The following words and phrases as used in this chapter shall have the following meanings, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) "Administer" means the direct application of a controlled substance, whether by injection, inhalation, ingestion, or any other means, to the body of a person or animal.

(2) "Analog" or "chemical analog" means a structural derivative of a parent compound that is a controlled substance.

(3) "Cannabis" means all parts of any plant of the genus Cannabis, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant or its seeds or resin.

(4) "Controlled substance" means any substance named or described in Schedules I-V of s. 893.03. Laws controlling the manufacture, distribution, preparation, dispensing, or administration of such substances are drug abuse laws.

(5) "Cultivating" means the preparation of any soil or hydroponic medium for the planting of a controlled substance or the tending and care or harvesting of a controlled substance.

(6) "Deliver" or "delivery" means the actual, constructive, or attempted transfer from one person to another of a controlled substance, whether or not there is an agency relationship.

(7) "Dispense" means the transfer of possession of one or more doses of a medicinal drug by a pharmacist or other licensed practitioner to the ultimate consumer thereof or to one who represents that it is his or her intention not to consume or use the same but to transfer the same to the ultimate consumer or user for consumption by the ultimate consumer or user.

(8) "Distribute" means to deliver, other than by administering or dispensing, a controlled substance.

(9) "Distributor" means a person who distributes.

(10) "Department" means the Department of Health.

(11) "Hospital" means an institution for the care and treatment of the sick and injured, licensed pursuant to the provisions of chapter 395 or owned or operated by the state or Federal Government.

(12) "Laboratory" means a laboratory approved by the Drug Enforcement Administration as proper to be entrusted with the custody of controlled substances for scientific, medical, or instructional purposes or to aid law enforcement officers and prosecuting attorneys in the enforcement of this chapter.

(13) "Listed chemical" means any precursor chemical or essential chemical named or described in s. 893.033.

(14)(a) "Manufacture" means the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, cultivating, growing, conversion, or processing of a controlled substance, either directly or indirectly, by extraction from substances of natural origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis, and includes any packaging of the substance or labeling or relabeling of its container, except that this term does not include the preparation, compounding, packaging, or labeling of a controlled substance by:

1. A practitioner or pharmacist as an incident to his or her administering or delivering of a controlled substance in the course of his or her professional practice.

2. A practitioner, or by his or her authorized agent under the practitioner's supervision, for the purpose of, or as an incident to, research, teaching, or chemical analysis, and not for sale.

(b) "Manufacturer" means and includes every person who prepares, derives, produces, compounds, or repackages any drug as defined by the Florida Drug and Cosmetic Act. However, this definition does not apply to manufacturers of patent or proprietary preparations as defined in the Florida Pharmacy Act. Pharmacies, and pharmacists employed thereby, are specifically excluded from this definition.

(15) "Mixture" means any physical combination of two or more substances.

(16) "Patient" means an individual to whom a controlled substance is lawfully dispensed or administered pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.

(17) "Pharmacist" means a person who is licensed pursuant to chapter 465 to practice the profession of pharmacy in this state.

(18) "Possession" includes temporary possession for the purpose of verification or testing, irrespective of dominion or control.

(19) "Potential for abuse" means that a substance has properties of a central nervous system stimulant or depressant or an hallucinogen that create a substantial likelihood of its being:

(a) Used in amounts that create a hazard to the user's health or the safety of the community;

(b) Diverted from legal channels and distributed through illegal channels; or

(c) Taken on the user's own initiative rather than on the basis of professional medical advice.

Proof of potential for abuse can be based upon a showing that these activities are already taking place, or upon a showing that the nature and properties of the substance make it reasonable to assume that there is a substantial likelihood that such activities will take place, in other than isolated or occasional instances.

(20) "Practitioner" means a physician licensed pursuant to chapter 458, a dentist licensed pursuant to chapter 466, a veterinarian licensed pursuant to chapter 474, an osteopathic physician licensed pursuant to chapter 459, a naturopath licensed pursuant to chapter 462, or a podiatric physician licensed pursuant to chapter 461, provided such practitioner holds a valid federal controlled substance registry number..........."

Here is Tiger's official statement from his website. Pretty vague.

As you all know, I had a single-car accident earlier this week, and sustained some injuries. I have some cuts, bruising and right now I'm pretty sore.

This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me. I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again.

This is a private matter and I want to keep it that way. Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible.

The only person responsible for the accident is me. My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me. Any other assertion is absolutely false.

This incident has been stressful and very difficult for Elin, our family and me. I appreciate all the concern and well wishes that we have received. But, I would also ask for some understanding that my family and I deserve some privacy no matter how intrusive some people can be.

+ Reply to Thread