+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 735

Thread: Tiger Woods' Accident

  1. #101
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    303

    Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3760303;
    Constitutional rights are important for kids to know, but I also think it's important to remember that kids do look up to these people, and some try to emulate them.
    Yes, that's true. Since winning his first Master's Tournament in 1997, Mr. Woods has been the epitome of a good role model and superlative athlete. He has shown himself to be a fine son, husband and father as well as a philanthropist. Children would do well to emulate such a man.

  2. #102
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532

    Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3760320;
    We (well, not me) thrust them up there. If we (again, not me) don't care for their personal lives then we have the right to turn off the tv and go outside and play. And they have the right to live their own lives as they see fit. It is not their responsibility to raise other people's kids.
    Exactly. Even celebrities are people and people do all sorts of things without first thinking of somebody else's kids. Yeah, I know, hard to believe that everyone out there isn't singularly focused on making sure that they're always squeaky clean family friendly and problem-free for some parents' convenience.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

  3. #103
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,116

    Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

    How about a lesson for Tiger's OWN kids? A lesson in constitutional rights is good, but how about another lesson in accepting one's own personal responsibility? Both are good lessons, it doesn't have to be either/or. Frankly, I think the personal responsibility lessons are what are sadly lacking in the Gen X, or Y, or whatever generation we're on now, and would be way more valuable than teaching his own kids how to duck and weave around the fine points of the law.

    Tiger should have just made a simple statement on Friday morning including the basic facts of the incident, expressed regret for whatever it is that he's trying to hide now, and been done with it. Nobody would even care any more. I'm not even convinced that any of the things that have been speculated on this thread and in the media even happened. Now there's another woman coming out of the woodwork claiming a 31-month affair . . . sheesh.

  4. #104
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,147

    Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

    I totally agree that it is not an athlete's, or other celebrity's, job to raise and/or serve as role models for others.
    However, that is very much what these people become.
    We can pretend otherwise, but that is not the reality.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  5. #105
    Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Age
    35
    Posts
    21,532

    Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

    And what if his wife hit him and scratched him up? Why do we think that should be ok? I really don't get it.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

  6. #106
    Fort Regular angelic_one2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    8,613

    Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

    Quote Originally Posted by JordieGirl;3760322;
    Yes, that's true. Since winning his first Master's Tournament in 1997, Mr. Woods has been the epitome of a good role model and superlative athlete. He has shown himself to be a fine son, husband and father as well as a philanthropist. Children would do well to emulate such a man.
    I wasn't disagreeing about Tiger possessing these fine attributes. Emulating athletes and stars isn't always the best advice, is all Im saying.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

  7. #107
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532

    Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

    Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3760353;
    And what if his wife hit him and scratched him up? Why do we think that should be ok? I really don't get it.
    Nobody is saying that that would be okay. But it's Tiger's choice whether he wants to spill his guts about it to the news-hungry public just so they'd have something to flap their jaws about.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

  8. #108
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963

    Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx;3760332;
    How about a lesson for Tiger's OWN kids? A lesson in constitutional rights is good, but how about another lesson in accepting one's own personal responsibility? Both are good lessons, it doesn't have to be either/or. Frankly, I think the personal responsibility lessons are what are sadly lacking in the Gen X, or Y, or whatever generation we're on now, and would be way more valuable than teaching his own kids how to duck and weave around the fine points of the law.
    I don't understand.. how has he ducked personal responsibility? He hasn't denied the accident. He hasn't tried to claim that it wasn't his fault. He simply didn't want to 1) issue a public statement giving the greedy public all of the sordid details, nor 2) give the police any more details than necessary because it would then become a matter of public record. If anything, if the story being speculated about in the press IS true and he is staying silent keeping any details of a fight between he and his wife.. and alleged injuries at the hands of his wife then I actually think he is demonstrating amazing personal responsibility by 1) taking the blame and 2) protecting his wife.

    My belief goes hand in hand with.....

    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one
    Constitutional rights are important for kids to know, but I also think it's important to remember that kids do look up to these people, and some try to emulate them.
    Yes, kids look up to these people. And since Juls brought up Rihanna earlier.. I would rather my kids not have to see situations like that and I wish that wouldn't have been in the press as much as it was. Yes, it is great that she decided that she needed to be a role model for young girls.. but that was after the fact. There are any number of young boys that thought what Chris Brown does was now "cool" and "manly." If Chris Brown did it to his girl... then that made it okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls
    He just should have talked with the police. What is the big deal? I mean....all couples get in fights, people get in accidents....but not everyone avoids the police. If there was domestic abuse against...lets say Venus Williams, would you want the jerk who hit her to get questioned by the police? Or should he avoid them? I think there is a double standard going on here.
    And therefore my answer is sure, while I would like domestic assault to be investigated and prosecuted if it happened.. no, I don't think it is either your right nor my right to know the details. Tiger Woods was not being sought for domestic assault.. he was being sought for additional information about a car accident. A pretty straightforward car accident. He has paid his $164 fine and he has met his personal responsibility.

    Sure, this is a PR nightmare... but that's because of the salacious nature of the press and the public's insatiable belief that they deserve to know everything. It's not his fault. He gave a statement.. what a shame it didn't give you everything you wanted to know.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  9. #109
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,046

    Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3760303;
    Constitutional rights are important for kids to know, but I also think it's important to remember that kids do look up to these people, and some try to emulate them.
    It'sn not just kids. As an athlete I have admired Tiger for a long time concerning his attitude toward athletic endeavors and even have several of his pithy sayings in places where I can see them and use them to get myself going when I'd rather sit and watch tv.

    That said--I admire him in relation to how he approaches his ATHLETIC endeavors (especially training which is not much fun for any athlete) not for his family life which I consider to be private.

    I can tell the difference between the two. I hope other members of the public will be able to do so as well.

  10. #110
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,046

    Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

    Broadway--hi. You say in part--

    "And therefore my answer is sure, while I would like domestic assault to be investigated and prosecuted if it happened."



    The Florida police say that there has been no complaint made about Domestic Violence and therefore they are not pursing that.

    It sounds like Florida does not have a third-person complaint law.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.