+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Woods' Accident

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Re: Tiger Woods' Accident

I don't know. I think its a bit confusing. When exactly is it ok to avoid a police officer? I'm not sure all kids would know the difference....or have parents that will tell them the difference. Not all kids have those kinds of parents.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

I agree with the posters that say he is taking the heat to protect his wife. If he had an affair, I guess he feels he owes her at least that much? And, of course, he hates publicity about his personal life. I noticed there are additional women coming forward to claim "affairs" with him over the last few years. This might be far from over for him.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3760278;
    I don't know. I think its a bit confusing. When exactly is it ok to avoid a police officer? I'm not sure all kids would know the difference....or have parents that will tell them the difference. Not all kids have those kinds of parents.
    It's a shame that not all kids don't have those kind of parents, but it really isn't the responsibility of the various sports and entertainment figures to do the raising for them. I heard the same argument from my co-worker over the Michael Phelps pot smoking issue, to which I had to respond, too bad. Few, if any, of these people do what they're doing for the specific purpose of being role models for the kids of people who are too lazy to do their own parenting.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3760275;
    What do the children have to do with this? Second time in as many weeks that I've seen this self-serving argument brought up in connection with a celebrity "scandal" and it's just as irrelevant as it was the first time.

If the kiddies ask they can to be told that Tiger Woods has a constitutional right to NOT talk to the police and people are not guilty of something just because they choose to exercise their rights. If they're too young to get the "constitutional right" part they're too young to even care about the news. It's a great lesson and it's what I'm going to tell my kid if she asks although I doubt she'd care. Not everything is or should be about the proverbial kids.
    Perfectly stated!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3760287;
    It's a shame that not all kids don't have those kind of parents, but it really isn't the responsibility of the various sports and entertainment figures to do the raising for them. I heard the same argument from my co-worker over the Michael Phelps pot smoking issue, to which I had to respond, too bad. Few, if any, of these people do what they're doing for the specific purpose of being role models for the kids of people who are too lazy to do their own parenting.
    I agree that it is unfortunate that not all kids have great role models for parents. But I do think that entertainers do take on a bit of responsibility whether they want to or not. Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus....whether parents like it not, kids want to be like them. Rihanna stated that she realized that little girls looked up to her and she didn't want them to think that being hit by a man was ok. Good for her.

I respect Tiger for wanting to keep his private life...private. But I think that by avoiding the police he went a little too far. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3760291;
    I agree that it is unfortunate that not all kids have great role models for parents. But I do think that entertainers do take on a bit of responsibility whether they want to or not. Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus....whether parents like it not, kids want to be like them. Rihanna stated that she realized that little girls looked up to her and she didn't want them to think that being hit by a man was ok. Good for her.

I respect Tiger for wanting to keep his private life...private. But I think that by avoiding the police he went a little too far. That's all.
    So instead of exercising his legal rights to not talk to the police about an accident that needed no further explanation... he instead talks to the police and tells them that 1) he had an affair, possibly multiple, 2) he had a fight with his wife, which led to 3) his wife committing domestic assault. Would THAT be better for the kids to hear in the press?

I'd rather the kids learn about constitutional rights, thank you very much.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Whether we like it or not, athletes like Tiger Woods get thrust into these Herculean and rather mythic proportions because of their prowess. And he is probably at the very top of the list as far as endorsements, etc. Fans, and their adulation, propel these individuals into these multi million dollar contract endorsements. Without fans, they wouldn't be worth the kind of money that they command.
    So, while I do feel he has a right to his privacy, he should have just gone ahead and issued a statement at the outset, even if it was just a rather banal one. BY refusing to say anything, he's just looking like he has something to hide and that just fuels speculation.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Constitutional rights are important for kids to know, but I also think it's important to remember that kids do look up to these people, and some try to emulate them.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3760294;
    So instead of exercising his legal rights to not talk to the police about an accident that needed no further explanation... he instead talks to the police and tells them that 1) he had an affair, possibly multiple, 2) he had a fight with his wife, which led to 3) his wife committing domestic assault. Would THAT be better for the kids to hear in the press?

I'd rather the kids learn about constitutional rights, thank you very much.
    No, no, no.... He certainly doesn't need to do all that. He just should have talked with the police. What is the big deal? I mean....all couples get in fights, people get in accidents....but not everyone avoids the police. If there was domestic abuse against...lets say Venus Williams, would you want the jerk who hit her to get questioned by the police? Or should he avoid them? I think there is a double standard going on here.

Turns out the cops gave him a ticket ....a $168.00 ticket. Big whoop. But because he has been shady....THAT is what is keeping him in the news. I don't think he has the best PR person on board.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3760301;
    Whether we like it or not, athletes like Tiger Woods get thrust into these Herculean and rather mythic proportions because of their prowess. And he is probably at the very top of the list as far as endorsements, etc. Fans, and their adulation, propel these individuals into these multi million dollar contract endorsements. Without fans, they wouldn't be worth the kind of money that they command.
    So, while I do feel he has a right to his privacy, he should have just gone ahead and issued a statement at the outset, even if it was just a rather banal one. BY refusing to say anything, he's just looking like he has something to hide and that just fuels speculation.
    PERFECTLY said!

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3760301;
    We (well, not me) thrust them up there. If we (again, not me) don't care for their personal lives then we have the right to turn off the tv and go outside and play. And they have the right to live their own lives as they see fit. It is not their responsibility to raise other people's kids.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread