+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: About Jon and Kate Plus Or Minus Eight

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

Re: About Jon and Kate Plus Or Minus Eight

Sadly, if Kate was likeable, it would matter to us less that she's lacking in talent or charisma. I, for one, would probably be rooting for her. Instead, she takes herself too seriously and is too harsh and unkind to be likeable. Therefore, many of us are anxious for her to fail and get the heck off tv. Soon, please.

FORT Fogey

The Pennsylvania House Labor Relations Committee heard testimony today on Rep. Thomas Murt's Bill #2515, to reform child labor laws, which is an outcome of the state's investigation into the Gosselin kids being filmed for reality TV. Former child stars Paul Peterson, Alison Arngrim and Jon Provost were there to testify on their own experience as child actors, and that children on reality TV need to be protected in the same way that child actors are protected. Representatives from the Screen Actors Guild also attended. For the Gosselin kids' sake, I hope the PA legislators will put the best interests of all PA kids, not the entertainment industry, first.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4067521;
    The Pennsylvania House Labor Relations Committee heard testimony today on Rep. Thomas Murt's Bill #2515, to reform child labor laws, which is an outcome of the state's investigation into the Gosselin kids being filmed for reality TV. Former child stars Paul Peterson, Alison Arngrim and Jon Provost were there to testify on their own experience as child actors, and that children on reality TV need to be protected in the same way that child actors are protected. Representatives from the Screen Actors Guild also attended. For the Gosselin kids' sake, I hope the PA legislators will put the best interests of all PA kids, not the entertainment industry, first.

I just heard Alison Arngrim speak at a book festival. She felt Pennsylvania might soon have even tougher child labor laws than California, so their testimony must have gone well. Arngrim has worked with PROTECT, an organization that lobbies for better child protection laws, for a number of years now and has been through some tough fights, so I would guess that if she feels the bill has a good chance of passing, it does. She also mentioned that the last child labor laws passed in Pennsylvania were passed in 1915, and they got kids out of the coal mines. It just didn't occur to anyone that so much filming involving kids would end up happening in Pennsylvania, so there weren't any laws on the books to control it. However, the Gosselin situation has really brought the lack of such legislation out in the open, and Pennsylvania seems anxious to address the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4069617;
    I just heard Alison Arngrim speak at a book festival. She felt Pennsylvania might soon have even tougher child labor laws than California, so their testimony must have gone well. Arngrim has worked with PROTECT, an organization that lobbies for better child protection laws, for a number of years now and has been through some tough fights, so I would guess that if she feels the bill has a good chance of passing, it does. She also mentioned that the last child labor laws passed in Pennsylvania were passed in 1915, and they got kids out of the coal mines. It just didn't occur to anyone that so much filming involving kids would end up happening in Pennsylvania, so there weren't any laws on the books to control it. However, the Gosselin situation has really brought the lack of such legislation out in the open, and Pennsylvania seems anxious to address the issue.
    I would love to have seen her. In her book she talks about her work for child protection laws. She says that being "Nellie" has opened alot of doors for her and people listen. She is a true hero in my book.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Re: Kate on the cover of People. I read in several different places that the cover pic was either not her body or was heavily photoshopped. I looked at it, and it certainly did NOT look like the body they have shown in pap pics of her jogging, etc. Even based on seeing her in bikinis on the beach that does not look like her body.

Personally, I could really care less if she has had a boob job or what her body looks like. I just don't like the fact that with her, everything has a spin or is a lie. Nobody who interviews her ever asks the tough questions or gets anything other than what sounds like a predetermined answer from her designed to make her look less horrible. I also dislike the way she takes potshots at Jon. Recently she did this on Regis and Kelly's show.

Have any of you heard that there was a hearing wherein Jon tried to stop the kids from being filmed, but he was not successful? The judge granted all filming rights to Kate for the kids. I read his response and he said he respected the judge's decision but did not agree with it or something to that effect. He seems to really understand now that it is not in his kids best interests to have them on a tv show. I hope he is soon successful and does not give up trying to get those kids off tv.

Meanwhile their boring, pathetic show will be on again November 7th, I believe it is. I hope there aren't many more episodes. I keep waiting for the show to just be over. This episode is supposed to cover the Alaska trip. I remember thinking the kids looked very tired and sad in photos taken during the NY and Alaska trips. I feel so sorry for them. I won't be watching but may catch it on youtube, if I can stand to listen to the shrew and her shrieking. I also just can no longer stomach the way she treats the kids.

You mean that show is still on???
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I hate to seem unkind, but until Jon Gosselin actually gets a job, he doesn't have much credibility with me. I will not enumerate the obvious reasons why. Kate, on the other hand, will never actually have to work another day in her life. Yes, she can thank her kids for that. And her kids are the beneficiaries.

I really do not care a whit if she's had plastic surgery, spends hours in beauty/tanning salons, sleeps with her bodyguard (or anyone else), or has a bajillion turnstile nannies. None of this is actually anyone's business but hers. She is the one providing for that huge brood, and she's done a good job of it. Their financial future is secure. Personally, as a successful career mom, I have no problem letting her off the hook for not being around wiping their noses and baking cookies. Not every mom is equipped or inclined to do that. That's why God made nannies. TLC reports that Twist of Kate is still in development. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. Either way, she and her family are in good financial shape.

I met her a couple of weeks ago at a symposium for Team Ministries in PA. She's running a marathon for them this month. All of the photos you see in the tabloids of her running and sweating, lately, is for this. In person, this woman looks healthy and seems centered. Bottom line, she's in great shape. I know that some people cannot entertain the idea of a healthy and centered Kate Gosselin, but that was my impression.

I think Jon should go back to college. He never graduated. I think Kate should pay for it. Jon has been out of IT for years, and that is a career where an absence of 2 years renders your skills obsolete. He's been absent a lot longer than that and he never had the proper credentials to begin with.

He should correct this now, if he cares about providing for his kids. Kate should bankroll him. Just my opinion.

I think his most recent litigation was nothing more than a show of force to strong arm TLC into giving him some air time, in his own show if possible. It didn't work. He vacillates way too much for me to think he cares about his kids being on TV. He has sold those kids out time and time again. This is just manipulation, in my opinion. He needs to grow up and get a career that he's actually employable in. No one wants him on TV.

And the same is true about his kids. They are just not that watchable anymore. That's a good thing for them. They will fade into obscurity where they belong. Hopefully, their mom will, too. I hope all the Gosselins will enjoy their newfound ordinariness and obscurity.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4093956;
    She is the one providing for that huge brood, and she's done a good job of it. Their financial future is secure.
    Hi Poppy. This is one of many paths that diverge among those who support Kate and see her as a "career" woman, and those who believe she is exploiting her children and want to see them regain their privacy, dignity and some semblance of private lives. Kate is not providing for that "huge brood". Her "huge brood" has been providing for her (and Jon, too) and all her celebrity acoutrements since the day they were born. And "they" have done a good job of it. Without her children, she would have no wealth or celebrity. She has no discernible talents, and she is unkind, ungrateful, and completely self-absorbed. Beyond everything else, she is a cruel and detached mother who alternately ignores and then mocks, humiliates, and threatens her children, all while putting them in harm's way. The evidence of all her bad behavior has been documented in living color on TV, and in her own words in interviews.

There are many women who have careers and need the services of a nanny or other childcare. But there are relatively few who would resort to selling their children's privacy and childhood to gain fame and fortune.

As far as the financial future of the children, I highly doubt it is secure. She was forced to start putting a paltry amount of money aside for them when all the bad press started about the PA DOL investigation and the child labor laws. Also, in some of her last interviews she explicitly said that there isn't enough money for them for college. So either she is lying, or her children's financial future is not secure.

Excellent post Mushy

I only read this thread, not post, but one thing has bothered me for some time. I wish the thread title was Jon OR Kate plus eight. The way it's worded now always makes me think that one of the kids isn't going to be around to make up the plus or minus 8.

+ Reply to Thread