+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: About Jon and Kate Plus Or Minus Eight

Re: About Jon and Kate Plus Or Minus Eight

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4055660;
    Or, she just wants to be current. When she appears in the gossip rags, she wants to look like all the other 30/40-somethings in those publications. I subscribe to most of them, and Kate G's outfits are on the conservative side in comparison to many "stars" in the gossip mags - many of whom appear with their children. Maybe they are all starved for "male attention?"

So, her real problem is that we don't like her acting like a "star."
    But she hasn't done anything to be a star.....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4056030;
    But she hasn't done anything to be a star.....
    True! But the publications she appears in don't seem to have taken that into account. If I were her I would not be schlepping around town in sweats, either.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have seen Gwen Steffani, Jennifer Garner and Angelina Jolie in pictures on outings with their kids and they appear to be to be dressed more appropriately for the occasion than Kate usually is. And they are managing fewer children on those outing than Kate she is.
    Of course she wouldn't want to go to NY in sweats - too hot anyway - but what's wrong with nice walk shorts and more sensible shoes?
    In an interview she was asked why she always wore heels and her reply was that it's because they make you look skinnier. To me, it just looks pathetic to see her traipsing after children on tottering heels and a short skirt.

FORT Fogey

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have seen Gwen Steffani, Jennifer Garner and Angelina Jolie in pictures on outings with their kids and they appear to be to be dressed more appropriately for the occasion than Kate usually is. And they are managing fewer children on those outing than Kate she is.
    Right, I'm not buying the excuse that Kate's just dressing like other celeb moms. In addition to those you've mentioned, I can think of others such as Katie Holmes, Reese Witherspoon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Marcia Cross, Sarah Michelle Geller, Sandra Bullock, Liv Tyler, Jessica Alba, to name a few real celebs, who I think are much more representative of the way most celeb moms choose to appear in public with their kids. Kate's trashy appearance doesn't represent anything more than a famewhore's desperate attempt to get media attention.

Thanks, MizDaisy. Most of the names you mentioned were those who escaped my mind when I wrote my post, but whom I have seen photographed with their kids on outings. To be honest, I can't off the top of my head, remember one picture of a "star" out with their kids dressed inappropriately for the occasion. I'm sure they're prone to wear the (in my conservative eyes) slightly skanky fashions from time to time, I just don't see that typically when they're out and about with their kids at the park, for an example. And, up until recently, my daughter subscribed to a popular gossip rag so I've seen many a celeb candid.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4056227;
    Thanks, MizDaisy. Most of the names you mentioned were those who escaped my mind when I wrote my post, but whom I have seen photographed with their kids on outings. To be honest, I can't off the top of my head, remember one picture of a "star" out with their kids dressed inappropriately for the occasion. I'm sure they're prone to wear the (in my conservative eyes) slightly skanky fashions from time to time, I just don't see that typically when they're out and about with their kids at the park, for an example. And, up until recently, my daughter subscribed to a popular gossip rag so I've seen many a celeb candid.
    I'm not going to type out a hundred names here We get every weekly trashy gossip mag that's published (my son is a free lance writer/reviewer). They pile up in 3 places in our house: sunporch, powder room, family room. There are literally 80 - 100 photos every week of PEOPLE I'VE NEVER HEARD OF, 20/30/40-somethings dressed like hos. Frequently with kids. They seem to stalk people with kids, as a matter of fact. You don't see many photos of Angie, Reese, &co. except on the red carpet, lol.

These women are considered "stars." Don't ask me why. Some are in movies, some on broadcast TV, some on reality shows, and some are just dating/divorcing/living with men who are also considered stars (whom I have also never heard of). Some of their "street" wear definitely looks hooker-approprate. Kate Gosselin's photos - well, all I can say is I hope she gets paid for them. Yes, she has too much makeup on. She lives in stilettos. But I have never seen her in anything I would not wear to church on Sunday. And I do NOT dress like a skank. Can't say that for the others.

ETA: We also get Vogue, Marie Claire, Elle, Teen Vogue, The New Yorker and lots of other mags delivered here in our son's name. They seem to multiply daily.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 09-08-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

You don't see many photos of Angie, Reese, &co. except on the red carpet
    Not true. It's not necessary to subscribe to tons of magazines to see a wide variety of celeb moms, who aren't dressed like hookers, out in public with their kids . Photos of celeb moms with their kids are all over the Internet as well as popular magazines, including staples like Good Housekeeping, Ladies Home Journal that millions of ordinary moms routinely buy or subscribe to. Award winning moms like Nicole Kidman, Halle Berry (Oscar), Celine Dion (Grammy), Tina Fey (Emmy), to name a few, are often photographed not just on the red carpet, but with their kids as well, and those photos get wide distribution.
    I have never seen [Kate] in anything I would not wear to church on Sunday.
    Everyone's personal standards are different. But I suspect even Kate wouldn't show up in church with most of what she's been photographed wearing in the last year.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar

I feel like I started a fashion debate here, sorry. I guess my feeling when watching the episode I watched was that the clothes she was wearing did not work for her. She simply looked trashy. I've seen many women in high heels who can actually pull them off. I understand the geometry of shoes, but Kate looks like she is constantly falling forward in her heels, causing her to clomp down the street rather than walk elegantly. I've seen many women in sleeveless shirts before but when Kate raised her arm "something" was hanging out the armhole of the shirt. Not sure what it was, but it probably shouldn't been seen. Point being, Kate can look good if she wore the right clothing, but she and her stylists(?) have chosen to dress her to look like the other "stars" in the tabloids, and she ain't pulling it off. And to the point of what mother's should and should not wear, ultimately its none of my business. But she defends herself by saying she does everything "for her children" and then dresses in a style that says "look at me, my only worth to the world is as a trashy ho in the tabloids." Maybe she thinks people are watching her for her looks, but I don't think that's the case. She wants to play a role so she should wear the costume for that role. She can look good, even in "Mom" clothes, without looking trashy. Ultimately I think she's selling herself short.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy;4057310;
    I feel like I started a fashion debate here, sorry. I guess my feeling when watching the episode I watched was that the clothes she was wearing did not work for her. She simply looked trashy. I've seen many women in high heels who can actually pull them off. I understand the geometry of shoes, but Kate looks like she is constantly falling forward in her heels, causing her to clomp down the street rather than walk elegantly. I've seen many women in sleeveless shirts before but when Kate raised her arm "something" was hanging out the armhole of the shirt. Not sure what it was, but it probably shouldn't been seen. Point being, Kate can look good if she wore the right clothing, but she and her stylists(?) have chosen to dress her to look like the other "stars" in the tabloids, and she ain't pulling it off. And to the point of what mother's should and should not wear, ultimately its none of my business. But she defends herself by saying she does everything "for her children" and then dresses in a style that says "look at me, my only worth to the world is as a trashy ho in the tabloids." Maybe she thinks people are watching her for her looks, but I don't think that's the case. She wants to play a role so she should wear the costume for that role. She can look good, even in "Mom" clothes, without looking trashy. Ultimately I think she's selling herself short.
    My cousin is 47, the mother of two. She doesn't do short skirts, but likes tight jeans and sexy tops (no belly showing)... the woman was made to wear heals. She just moves effortlessly in them. All in all she manages to look sexy, young and fresh without looking skanky. One can put the clothes on but sometimes the clothes wear the person.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

She always looks like she's trying too hard. If you want to dress up so much, it should look effortless, and therefore, more appropriate and believable.

+ Reply to Thread