+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: About Jon and Kate Plus Or Minus Eight

FORT Fogey

Re: About Jon and Kate Plus Or Minus Eight

I have to say that, generally speaking, dressing like a slut is currently very much in vogue. I see it everywhere on both young women and "women of a certain age."
    Yes, there have always been women who like to dress this way, even when it wasn't "fashionable." It's a look few if any women can do, although I'd say Dolly Parton is the queen of trashy dressing ("It takes a lot of money to look this trashy!"). But most moms who are accompanying their young children are NOT dressed like a hooker. That's why Kate's appearance is such a disconnect: she's trying way too hard to look like their trashy older sister.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

One of the most inappropriate get-ups I have seen her in was when she wore a short tight skirt and heels to go on a hot air balloon ride. Seriously?

As far as the shift away from modesty is concerned, I have a dress shop and last prom season a mom who was also a local high school guidance counselor told me something interesting. She said their students sign a pledge agreeing to adhere to minimum dress standerds to be admitted to prom. And every year as she chaperones, they have tons of girls turned away at the door because their butt cracks are showing. What makes it more interesting is invariably the girls' parents show up soon after causing a scene because their daughter was denied admittance. Her question (and mine) is, "Who wants their child going out with their butt crack showing???????"

I guess if a mom of eight can dress scantily, what does that leave for teens?

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Moms of little ones dressing trashy? Especially TV moms? Two words: Teresa Giudice. Seriously, she makes Kate G. look like Grace Kelly.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

Moms of little ones dressing trashy? Especially TV moms?
    Two reality TV moms who look like hookers don't represent anything more than famewhore behavior. Take a look at the photo on Kate's most recent book. No hooker-wear, hooker hair there! She's dressed and coiffed like millions of ordinary moms because that's the market the book was targeted to. I'm sure if Kate and her book publisher believed looking like a hooker would have helped book sales, Kate would have made Teresa look like Grace Kelly! As it turned out, I don't think anything would have helped the sales of that book--it (deservedly) crashed and burned fairly quickly after publication.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4053738;
    Two reality TV moms who look like hookers don't represent anything more than famewhore behavior. Take a look at the photo on Kate's most recent book. No hooker-wear, hooker hair there! She's dressed and coiffed like millions of ordinary moms because that's the market the book was targeted to. I'm sure if Kate and her book publisher believed looking like a hooker would have helped book sales, Kate would have made Teresa look like Grace Kelly! As it turned out, I don't think anything would have helped the sales of that book--it (deservedly) crashed and burned fairly quickly after publication.
    I borrowed her "letters" book from the library, and was truly appalled by it. It actually depressed me for about a week. The well written parts, the "loving" parts were obviously written by her co-author. The rest was Kate, speaking to each of her kids, exposing their fears, faults, and weaknesses.

If my mom did that to me, I'd have fantasies of setting her bed afire with her in it. No sh*t. I'd hate her and I'd need lots of time to get over it. God help her when her kids actually read it.

But I digress. There are about a thousand reasons to disapprove of Kate Goslin and to dislike her on a visceral level. Her choice of apparrel is not one of them, at least for me.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

I think Kate saw herself on tv as the "sweatsuit, dirty t-shirt wearing mom" in the earlier episodes who didn't seem to bother even combing her hair. After the tummy tuck and getting a new outfit to come home in, her vision of herself changed and she wanted to recapture her femininity and youth. To some level, there nothing really wrong with that. What irritates me is when she wears wildly in-apropriate attire for the occasion. It seems to reinforce the idea that what she feels about the image she wants to project is more important than dressing so that she can take care of her kids.

FORT Fogey

There are about a thousand reasons to disapprove of Kate Goslin and to dislike her on a visceral level. Her choice of apparrel is not one of them, at least for me.
    Yes, there are countless reasons to criticize Kate and I think all of them, including her choice of apparel, are fair game. To me, that's the price anyone who wants media exposure should expect to pay. She doesn't get a pass on the trashy clothes/ratty hair, any more than she would for poor parenting choices and nasty behavior. If you want to make a living in the public arena, there will be criticism, and it won't be selective. YMMV.

FORT Fogey

I was really hoping the ratings for Kate's show would be poor and that she'd go away. However, it seems as if that is not the case??? Does anyone know how her show is doing?

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4053983;
    I think Kate saw herself on tv as the "sweatsuit, dirty t-shirt wearing mom" in the earlier episodes who didn't seem to bother even combing her hair. After the tummy tuck and getting a new outfit to come home in, her vision of herself changed and she wanted to recapture her femininity and youth. To some level, there nothing really wrong with that. What irritates me is when she wears wildly in-apropriate attire for the occasion. It seems to reinforce the idea that what she feels about the image she wants to project is more important than dressing so that she can take care of her kids.
    there is nothing wrong with saying "Hey I need to clean up and dress better". But it is as if she is starved for male attention and feels dressing skimpy will get it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4055213;
    But it is as if she is starved for male attention and feels dressing skimpy will get it.
    Or, she just wants to be current. When she appears in the gossip rags, she wants to look like all the other 30/40-somethings in those publications. I subscribe to most of them, and Kate G's outfits are on the conservative side in comparison to many "stars" in the gossip mags - many of whom appear with their children. Maybe they are all starved for "male attention?"

So, her real problem is that we don't like her acting like a "star."

+ Reply to Thread