+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: About Jon and Kate Plus Or Minus Eight

Re: About Jon and Kate Plus Or Minus Eight

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4051844;
    Ok, I'm going to give you a break on this.
    Thank You! I appreciate that!

Maybe her intentions were good, and she was simply ignorant.
    Or maybe she's always craved fame and wealth, and is just lying to everyone.
    I've been surprised to learn that there are quite a few people who do believe that she planned the whole thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;4051690;
    She took the fame that resulted from it and ran with it...
    She sure did.

Would she have done the same thing five years ago? If that Dickensian Spirit had appeared to her, and showed her all those tabloids and snapping cameras?

Just a little over 10 years ago, she was single.

Do you think she'll feel the same way she does today 10 years from now?

The book was the latest evidence of her denying her children's rights.
    Which one? I admit total ignorance on this subject, I haven't read any of them.

But thanks to you both for reminding me, we're only about 8 years away from that first Twin Tell-All!

Which one will go first, Mady or Cara?

...She is a grown woman
    Yes, she is, but even so, she and Jon both have reminded me of some of those young athletes from small towns, who overnight have all this money and fame - even faster than it happened to Kate.

Jon has obligingly complied with all the obligatory cliches. I think the only one he has omitted (so far) is the DWI and additional babymamas, but it's still early days.

Kate is now never seen in public without the extensions and faux lashes and Weapons Grade makeup, and has eagerly embraced the popular reality show footwear convention of All Stilettos All the Time.

...knows exactly what she is doing...
    I think that may be where we have to agree to disagree. I'm not sure she does.

That lack of media management training I keep bleating about (though by now, I'm sure she's had some) is sort of a symbol - it represents (at least what I perceive) as this not-terribly-sophisticated, ordinary woman hurtled into this extraordinary situation for which she is totally unprepared.

And she's there, in this extraordinary situation, not because of anything about her, but because she was an ordinary woman in another extraordinary situation.

That all this occurs against the backdrop of the meteroric formation and rise of the reality show genre itself is what makes the story even more fascinating (to me, anyway).

As has been the case all along, no matter how much we all like to debate and opine about her motives and antics, hair disorders and personality disasters, it's not really about her at all - it's about the story!

Take away the story, and you got nothin'. Take away the story, and she's got nothin'.

Whatever her intentions were, it is today that matters...
    ...She should act like the poor suffering single mom she claims to be...
    You've hit on another subject of both high amusement and sometimes exasperation - that goes way beyond the Kate Saga -

All over the internets, and cheek-by-jowl with the views of people who are with you 100% on that, are people expressing their disapproval of what they perceive to be Kate doing that very thing!

That's going to happen There's going to be a certain level of damned if you do, damned if you don't pretty much any time any public figures "break up."

If she expresses sadness, there are eye-rollings and "Really, dude?"s (not sure how to punctuate that) because - and I've thrown a dollop of this same snarkpudding, too - she is not universally perceived to have been exactly breathlessly and deathlessly in love with and enchanted by her husband during the years of her marriage which were televised.

There is also the fact that she is, compared to the bulk of her viewers, rolling in more money than most of us are ever likely to see, and apparently reveling in her new glamourous lifestyle. That's so going to cost her some "pity the poor jilted, struggling single mom" points, on many scorecards.

But if she does anything short of openly sobbing into the camera and burying her face in a discarded Ed Hardy shirt to which his scent still clings, then people like me, who have never met her OR Jon, make snide little insinuations that she does not appear to lack air when he is not present. (really awkward attempt to translate an only-vaguely-translatable line from an old, old pop song. me falta el aire cuando - oh never mind. I have to take Pills.)

Maybe her intentions were good, and she was simply ignorant...Or maybe she's always craved fame and wealth, and is just lying to everyone.
    ...she wanted that brood...
    Maybe she did. I don't have any way of knowing either way.

But if she did, I think it's not unlike the fame - a reality for which she was totally unprepared.

I keep remembering her going on about her neatcleanfreaky OCD, and thinking "Whoa! Could there BE a worse fit, for someone even living in the same house with 8 small children?"

I was a psychology minor in university, and she does show signs of narcissistic personality disorder. Of course, I'm not qualified to diagnose her, (heck, it was just a minor, and I never met her!), but there is signs that she may have a personality disorder. May have.
    Do you think Jon has one too? Or is he just a garden-variety tool?

Either way, I hope you're wrong.

Because if you're right, that would mean that I've been making snarky comments about a person/people with an illness. And of course, it's all about me. And how I feel. Plus it would be really bad timing because I've really been working on being more patient with people who don't understand that

...if she wants anyone to buy what she is selling.
    Oh, people will buy it. We will buy it.

Whether we buy it to put it up on the mantel and admire it and tell all our friends and relatives that's how they should be, or whether we buy it to hang it on the wall and throw darts at it, we are so buying it.

Because "what she is selling" is the story - and this story sells itself!
    Last edited by bahurupiya; 08-30-2010 at 10:13 PM.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

I caught a bit of the show last night, haven't watched it in a few years (not that I regularly watched it). Wow what an unpleasant person she has turned into. If I were on vacation with her, I would be sick! Yuck!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The incident described below is pretty much DIRECTLY about Kate Plus Eight, as well as the other reality shows on the air about gigantic families.

Discovery TV Gunman Demands Halt to 'Parasitic Human Infants,' Credits Al Gore with ‘Awakening’

By Kathleen Gilbert

Update 17:37 01/10/10 - Reports indicate that police have shot and killed James Lee, and released the hostages.

SILVER SPRING, Maryland, September 1, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Shots have been fired and at least one hostage taken at the Silver Spring headquarters of the Discovery Channel by what appears to be a crazed radical environmentalist.

The armed man has reportedly demanded that Discovery Channel executives run programming geared toward stopping the propagation of "parasitic human infants" in order to save the planet from global warming and pollution.

James J. Lee, identified by law enforcement as the gunman, hopes to force the network to discourage overpopulation and the "human filth" of new children, particularly among immigrant populations, according to a document apparently authored by Lee.

Discovery Channel employees first noticed Lee in February 2008, when he was arrested during a protest at the Discovery building.

Lee, a San Diego resident, has said he experienced an ‘‘awakening” when he watched former Vice President Al Gore’s environmental documentary ‘‘An Inconvenient Truth," reports MSNBC.

Police Wednesday afternoon were engaged in negotiating the release of what has been reported to be as little as one and as many as three hostages by Lee, who was seen with a possible explosive device strapped to himself. No injuries have yet been reported.

A list of demands published on savetheplanetprotest.com, signed as "the demands and sayings of Lee," seeks programming from the TV station showing "how people can live WITHOUT giving birth to more filthy human children since those new additions continue pollution and are pollution."

"Saving the Planet means saving what's left of the non-human Wildlife," it states. "That means stopping the human race from breeding any more disgusting human babies! ... It is the responsiblity of everyone to preserve the planet they live on by not breeding any more children who will continue their filthy practices."

The manifesto emphasizes that immigrant populations and their "anchor baby filth" must also be stopped, and that Darwin's theory of evolution and the Malthusian theory of overpopulation must be reiterated "until it sinks into the stupid people's brains until they get it."

In addition, the document insists that the channel must "stop all shows glorifying human birthing" and "the false heroics behind those actions."

"In those programs' places, programs encouraging human sterilization and infertility must be pushed. All former pro-birth programs must now push in the direction of stopping human birth, not encouraging it," it says, adding that civilization and "all its disgusting religious-cultural roots and greed" "must be exposed for the filth it is."
    If someone had busted into TLC/Discovery to protest how the kids are exploited (not just on Gosselin's show and the similar programs, but also stuff like Toddlers & Tiaras), I might spare a second to think about it. But this nutbar went in the total other direction--treating the kids as the disease and TLC as the carrier.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4053147;

If someone had busted into TLC/Discovery to protest how the kids are exploited (not just on Gosselin's show and the similar programs, but also stuff like Toddlers & Tiaras), I might spare a second to think about it. But this nutbar went in the total other direction--treating the kids as the disease and TLC as the carrier.
    I wonder if he was hatched a full grown male?

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4053147;
    crazed ...gunman...said he experienced an ‘‘awakening” when he watched...Al Gore’s environmental documentary...list of demands...immigrant populations and their "anchor baby filth"...
    Something about the way the "demands" are worded makes it smell more like an attempt to discredit and/or seed negative associations in the public perception of groups and individuals with strong pro-adoption, environmental, green, etc focus, who advocate practices and lifestyle changes that would not generate additional revenue for "key industries."

Go ahead - call me overly suspicious - or you can just pet the sig.

Returning to Jon and Kate news, radaronline has one of their famous pdfs up today.

This one purports to show "Jon's personal notes" taken during phone calls with Kate, including one where he allegedly threatened to contact the local child protection authority about an incident where, he says, she injured Mady's arm by yanking it or pulling it, and apparently Mady was subsequently seen with an injured arm.

The notes were obtained as a result of Jon's former rebound boo, Hailey Glassman, throwing him under the bus.

And on to last night's episode of Kate & 8, or whatever its name is.

It seemed to me that especially in light of the entourage she has now, the NYC trip was little spotty in the planning department, not sure whether that was the fault of TLC, Kate, or both.

Did no one think to check the weather report, or tell her that Manhattan gets, um, hot in the summer?

Only when she emerges from the store does it occur to Kate that when the temperature is in the 3 digits, ice cream will melt on the way back to the bus?

After explaining in voiceover that she's taking the kids to Chinatown "for the culture," the next scene features Kate pointing out to the kids that the signs in the store windows are "in Asian."

Wow. I noticed she didn't pay much attention to Jon when he talked, but I thought she had gotten the part about it being, like, a continent.

Everything they saw in Chinatown was "Asian."

Why you come to Chinatown? someone asks her.

It turns out that not only has Kate never been to a dim sum restaurant before, she has absolutely no idea what dim sum is.

"Do you want dim sum?" a server asks. Kate sits there with a blank look.

In voiceover, she explains that she thought the name of the restaurant was Dim Sum.

Although the restaurant staff are shown speaking English, and the dishes were pretty standard, like fried taro dumplings, or even "americanized," like bacon-wrapped shrimp, in her Confessional Kate tries to convey how confusing it was that they couldn't understand her, nor she them. She didn't know what she was eating.

Then there are clips of the children expressing similar reactions to the food. One of them even declares that Chinatown smells bad due to the large amount of "Asian food" there.

I know there was one episode at least where Jon made the kids pulkogi for dinner, and I'm pretty sure there was some kim chi visible.

Was that a once in a lifetime event, just staged for the show?

I mean, now they are being taught that there is a language called "Asian"...

OK, I'm obsessing, but to channel my inner Andy Cohen, Here's What:

Confession: There are some quaint customs at which I've never been able to suppress a smile, and use of the term "Asian" or "African" as if they were languages is one.

Ditto the related practice of generalized lumping together as one entity when referring to art, music, movies - anything - that comes from either of these huge continents, each comprised of an even huger and widely - and wildly - diverse collection of populations and every possible flavor of tradition and grouping, from linguistic to artistic to ethnic to literary to cinematic, sartorial, musical, cuisine-ical - you name it!

For example, there are, depending on whom you ask, somewhere between 600 and sump'm to over 1000 languages in India alone - and that's just one country in Asia!

So while I appreciate receiving my cardio-vascular benefit of hearty laughter from the episode, at the same time it was a little jarring.

I get that it's good for kids to learn about all the cultural traditions that combined to produce them, and that the whole lumping-together thing and the concept of a language called "Asian" is Kate's culture, but since her kids are also "Asian," couldn't she pick something else to pass on?

Maybe beach volleyball, or English muffin pizzas...
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

I cringed at the Dim Sum scene.... it was as if the kids were eating food from another planet (or she made it seem so). My stomache was rumbling wanting to have some. And it is sad, these children have an Asian heritage (and what a dimwit to not realize Chinatown is Chinese which in turn is Asian!!) that it seemed like anything Asian seemed to be treated condescendingly imho.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar

Who advises her on how to dress? She looked like a hooker in the NY episode. High heels, shorts, very low cut tank top with no apparent support (and something spilling out the sides under her arms), the hair and makeup. Yeesh. Combine that with the way she chews her gum and I expected her to be approaching sailors for drinks. I know people have defended her by saying everyone wants to look good, but this isn't a good look for anyone and especially not for a mother of 8 walking around NY with her kids. Regarding the show itself, who cares? Kate took her kids to eat out and then got on a boat or something. Wow, riveting.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy;4053466;
    Who advises her on how to dress? She looked like a hooker in the NY episode. High heels, shorts, very low cut tank top with no apparent support (and something spilling out the sides under her arms), the hair and makeup. Yeesh. Combine that with the way she chews her gum and I expected her to be approaching sailors for drinks. I know people have defended her by saying everyone wants to look good, but this isn't a good look for anyone and especially not for a mother of 8 walking around NY with her kids. Regarding the show itself, who cares? Kate took her kids to eat out and then got on a boat or something. Wow, riveting.
    Count me in as one who thought she looked "cheap". She didn't look like a mom but a ridiculous parody of a woman over 35 trying to look like a teenager and a bad one at that. She needs Stacey and CLinton!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4053570;
    Count me in as one who thought she looked "cheap". She didn't look like a mom but a ridiculous parody of a woman over 35 trying to look like a teenager and a bad one at that. She needs Stacey and CLinton!
    I have to say that, generally speaking, dressing like a slut is currently very much in vogue. I see it everywhere on both young women and "women of a certain age." Open any fashion mag, and you will see it there too. It's pervasive.

I am reminded of a quote from a Bill Mahr special, which I will attempt to paraphrase here: "You know who I feel sorry for these days? Whores. You gotta be sorry for them! I mean what can a whore wear anymore that advertises her trade? Even at red carpet events you see women whose outfits just scream, 'I'm seling this a$$.'"
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Some of her outfits are terrible.
    She's fit and healthy, but doesn't have a particularly nice figure, imo, she's very boxy.
    Short skirts, low tops, high heels, is not a combination that just anyone can wear.
    She needs some decent advice on how best to dress for her shape, because her choices don't enhance her at all.
    I saw her on the red carpet at the Emmys. She had quite a nice updo, but when she turned round to the side to show it to the camera when being interviewed whoever did her do for her used black bobby pins. You could clearly see the round ends sticking out. That slightly spoiled a pretty good looking hairdo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread