+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: About Jon and Kate Plus Or Minus Eight

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: About Jon and Kate Plus Or Minus Eight

Why in the world would anyone wish 8 children on grandparents who have already done their share in the world? Not even an aunt or uncle, actually. The people who brought these children into the world are the ones who are, rightfully, doing the job. An occasional visit to Granny, Grandpa, Uncle, and Auntie is what is fair. Anyone else would need a whole crew to oversee and deal.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

The people who brought these children into the world are the ones who are, rightfully, doing the job.
    The problem is, neither Jon nor Kate are "doing the job" of responsibly parenting their kids. In fact, these days the kids probably see more of the hired help (their nannies) than either one of their parents. Both of them are too busy pursuing their delusional perception of a "career" or finding new ways to market their kids like commodities. No one knows what extended family members may or may not be willing to do to help these kids, but the financial responsibility for their care would remain with their parents.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4035138;
    The problem is, neither Jon nor Kate are "doing the job" of responsibly parenting their kids. In fact, these days the kids probably see more of the hired help (their nannies) than either one of their parents. Both of them are too busy pursuing their delusional perception of a "career" or finding new ways to market their kids like commodities. No one knows what extended family members may or may not be willing to do to help these kids, but the financial responsibility for their care would remain with their parents.
    In fairness, I think both Gosselin parents are pursuing projects which do not include their offspring. I aslo think that the popularity of thieir children is on the wane - they are just not that cute anymore.

Saying that they are bad parents who should not have custody is not realistic. Nothing they are doing rises to the standard of abuse necessary to lose custody of your kids. And, seriously, most children see more of the nanny/babysitter than they do of mom and dad, because mom and dad are out in the world hustling to make a living.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

I think both Gosselin parents are pursuing projects which do not include their offspring.
    Both parents agreed to the filming of their children for K+8, so they are indeed willing to pursue projects that include the kids. We don't know what if anything is being paid to Jon by TLC for his permission, but I don't doubt he's been compensated. True, the kids aren't cute little toddlers anymore, and the twins will soon be old enough to flat out refuse to participate. I don't think anyone really believes the kids would be taken away from their parents, but for many of us the concept of the kids being raised away from the cameras and their greedy parents is an ideal for their well-being.
    most children see more of the nanny/babysitter than they do of mom and dad, because mom and dad are out in the world hustling to make a living
    Most kids aren't put in front of the cameras and paparrazi hustling to make a living for their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4036272;
    Both parents agreed to the filming of their children for K+8, so they are indeed willing to pursue projects that include the kids. We don't know what if anything is being paid to Jon by TLC for his permission, but I don't doubt he's been compensated. True, the kids aren't cute little toddlers anymore, and the twins will soon be old enough to flat out refuse to participate. I don't think anyone really believes the kids would be taken away from their parents, but for many of us the concept of the kids being raised away from the cameras and their greedy parents is an ideal for their well-being. Most kids aren't put in front of the cameras and paparrazi hustling to make a living for their parents.
    I believe that the nanny issue was raised by another poster, as in "they see more of the nannies than the parents." That, I contend, is true for most children.

I would point out that Kate Plus Eight is not a series and it doesn't involve the daily filming those kids were used to. It's also quite finite in terms of lifespan. Twist of Kate doesn't include them.

I'm happy to hear that no one really thinks that the Gosselins are likely to lose custody of their kids.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4036204;
    In fairness, I think both Gosselin parents are pursuing projects which do not include their offspring. I aslo think that the popularity of thieir children is on the wane - they are just not that cute anymore.

Saying that they are bad parents who should not have custody is not realistic. Nothing they are doing rises to the standard of abuse necessary to lose custody of your kids. And, seriously, most children see more of the nanny/babysitter than they do of mom and dad, because mom and dad are out in the world hustling to make a living.
    I agree about the kids not being so marketable anymore.

I do however think that Kate, in particular, has the
    opportunity to spend time with her children which she chooses to spend elsewhere, having manis and pedis and spa treatments and so on. I feel she is a neglectful parent who probably even borders on being abusive at times. She does not appear to enjoy being with her children.

FORT Fogey

I believe that the nanny issue was raised by another poster, as in "they see more of the nannies than the parents." That, I contend, is true for most children.
    Yes, I said previously the Gosselin kids probably see more of the hired help (their nannies) than either of their parents. I don't know if that's true for most children, but I do know it's not true for most children to have been the primary breadwinners for their family since they were babies.
    I would point out that Kate Plus Eight is not a series and it doesn't involve the daily filming those kids were used to. It's also quite finite in terms of lifespan.
    The kids often travel for filming, like the recent episode filmed in Alaska, as well as the trip to Florida, and the current trip to Bald Head Island in NC, which adds travel days, also filmed, to their work schedule in addition to the days on location. While not a series, they are still spending far more time in front of the cameras than just a couple of days a month.
    Twist of Kate doesn't include them.
    No kids, but the show's premise requires Kate traveling around the country, which means even more time away from the kids. According to a recent article on top-paid TV personalities, Kate is paid $250,000/episode of K+8. Even if there's only 4 episodes a year, that's a million bucks. She was reportedly paid a 6-figure salary for appearing on DWTS. Very few moms who have to travel for their jobs have the luxury of turning down work that takes them away from their kids. For Kate, spending time away from her kids is a choice, not a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4036348;
    According to a recent article on top-paid TV personalities, Kate is paid $250,000/episode of K+8. Even if there's only 4 episodes a year, that's a million bucks. She was reportedly paid a 6-figure salary for appearing on DWTS. Very few moms who have to travel for their jobs have the luxury of turning down work that takes them away from their kids. For Kate, spending time away from her kids is a choice, not a requirement.
    I don't see why this is a problem? She's already a multi-millionaire. Good for her! Why shouldn't she make more? If Kate were a man, I doubt anyone would be accusing her of choosing more income over time with the kids. Not everyone is inclined to favor time with their children over career. For those who are not, this is a complete non-issue. It's not one or the other (kids or money) and It's the 21st century. Women have choices. They are morally-neutral choices, in my opinion. Choosing career over time with your kids does not mean you value money over them, or their welfare.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I also believe that the primary custodial parent deserves some "me time" away from the children. There is nothing wrong with mani/pedis, exercise classes, etc. Raising children is hard, and you should be doing some things to try to preserve your adult sanity.....plus, it teaches your children that it is important to be nice to yourself....as long as it does not get excessive. Taking care of yourself helps you to take care of others.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I don't see why this is a problem? She's already a multi-millionaire. Good for her!
    Not everyone is inclined to favor time with their children over career.
    This is not about a hardworking mom who used her own skills/talent through hard work and perserverance to become a multi-millionaire. Kate's journey to motherhood is well documented. In her own words, she's said that she wanted to become a mother so much she was willing to undergo fertility treatments not once but twice, and the second time endanger her own life and that of her babies to carry all of them as long as she could. A harrowing story indeed. It doesn't make sense to me that any woman would subject herself to such extremeties to become a mother if she wasn't inclined to favor children over career. Kate's entire branding strategy has been based on Kate as mother to 8 children, not Kate the high-powered multi-millionaire career woman. It was that concept that sold TLC on doing a TV show and the rest, as they say, is history. And that concept continues as the basis for K+8 (challenges of a single mom parenting 8 kids) and Twist of Kate (Kate visiting other moms). Motherhood is the theme that dominates everything she does--books, TV appearances, interviews. Throughout her stint on DWTS there were constant reminders that she was "just a mom," often mentioning her children/waving to them on camera, using her exhaustion as a mother of 8 as an excuse not to practice, etc.
    Choosing career over time with your kids does not mean you value money over them, or their welfare.
    It's not an either/or choice for Kate. Her career IS her kids. Without them, she would still be a nurse in Reading PA, earning well below multi-millions.

+ Reply to Thread