+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Director John Hughes - dead at 59

Director John Hughes - dead at 59

I just heard this on the news.
    Supposedly, he was walking around in NYC today and died from a heart attack.
    He's best known for directing all the 'bratpack' movies of the 80's.
    RIP, Mr. Hughes
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Re: Director John Hughes - dead at 59

Very sad, he made some awesome movies

Wow..... that's shocking... so young and such a talent. RIP!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Here's a story I just found on NPR.

John Hughes, Director And Screenwriter, Dead At 59
    4:54 pm

August 6, 2009

comments (6)

Recommend (10)
    byline goes here

By Frank James, updated

John Hughes, one of Hollywood's most successful directors and screen writers, whose movies during the 1980s and 1990s helped to define that era and became cultural touchstones, has died at age 59.

John Hughes in 1984. ( AP Photo)
    Hughes, who directed the "The Breakfast Club;" "Ferris Bueller's Day Off;" "Sixteen Candles", and "Planes, Trains and Automobiles," died of a heart attack during a walk while he visited family in Manhattan, according to reports.

I'll add more details as I get them.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

'80s teen flick director John Hughes dies in NYC

NEW YORK Writer-director John Hughes, Hollywood's youth impresario of the 1980s and '90s who captured and cornered the teen and preteen market with such favorites as "Home Alone," "The Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," died Thursday, a spokeswoman said. He was 59.

Hughes died of a heart attack during a morning walk in Manhattan, Michelle Bega said. He was in New York to visit family.

A native of Lansing, Mich., who later moved to suburban Chicago and set much of his work there, Hughes rose from ad writer to comedy writer to silver screen champ with his affectionate and idealized portraits of teens, whether the romantic and sexual insecurity of "Sixteen Candles," or the J.D. Salinger-esque rebellion against conformity in "The Breakfast Club."

Hughes' ensemble comedies helped make stars out of Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy and many other young performers. He also scripted the phenomenally popular "Home Alone," which made little-known Macaulay Culkin a sensation as the 8-year-old accidentally abandoned by his vacationing family, and wrote or directed such hits as "National Lampoon's Vacation," "Pretty in Pink," "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" and "Uncle Buck."

Other actors who got early breaks from Hughes included John Cusack ("Sixteen Candles"), Judd Nelson ("The Breakfast Club"), Steve Carell ("Curly Sue") and Lili Taylor ("She's Having a Baby").

As Hughes advanced into middle age, his commercial touch faded and, in Salinger style, he increasingly withdrew from public life. His last directing credit was in 1991, for "Curly Sue," and he wrote just a handful of scripts over the past decade. He was rarely interviewed or photographed.
    '80s teen flick director John Hughes dies in NYC - Yahoo! News

The Molly Ringwald "trilogy" (Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club) were the movies when I was in high school, but my favorite John Hughes movie has always been Some Kind of Wonderful. I know my teenage years wouldn't have been the same without John Hughes.

RIP Mr. Hughes
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Wow--that's quite a surprise.

Wow, really sad. I loved all his "brat pack" movies when I was a teenager. I always think of him as being so young, I had no idea he was 59.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3644541;
    Wow, really sad. I loved all his "brat pack" movies when I was a teenager. I always think of him as being so young, I had no idea he was 59.
    Well, the Brat Pack movies were almost 30 years ago
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

OMG.

59 is not even ... 59 is young.

but my favorite John Hughes movie has always been Some Kind of Wonderful.
    Same here Crit. I'll be popping that in the DVD player tonight.

I'm so sorry to learn of John's passing.

I loved Some Kind of Wonderful too and Sixteen Candles, She's Having A Baby...and yes, Weird Science! Heck, I enjoyed just about all his movies. He really had a talent of making movies for us teens in the 80s and there hasn't been anyone since that has done that like he could.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast