+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 78 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Jackson

FORT Fogey

Re: Michael Jackson is Dead at 50 yrs. of age

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3563499;
    No, I believe Debbie was specifically written out of the will. He addressed her, and denied her any part of the estate. I was surprised, however, that Lisa Marie Presley was not mentioned. I guess she has enough money on her own to get involved in this mess.

As far as Joe is concerned - even Kathryn should be able to see through his bull and get him the hell out of there. I don't believe there is a document of "legal separation" (if there is one in California, I know Utah doesn't have one) - so they are still married for all intents and purposes, they simply live in separate homes. And just think - this crap has only just begun.

JD--hi. Laws regarding marriage and associated issues vary from state to state.

In California the rules include--

"In California, either party may file for a legal separation and the procedure is the same as for a divorce with some notable exceptions.

First, there is not a termination of the marital status. This means that neither party may ever re marry without first filing another action for a divorce.
    In addition, this does allow either party to continue to obtain health insurance benefits, in most employment plans, since the parties are not legally divorced.
    The procedures are, in essence, the same as a divorce and listed below in summary.

First, the Petition and Summons are filed and this is what gives the Court power and authority to make orders regarding the community property estate as well as custody and visitation and support and other orders."

There's a lot more than this involved. I only quoted a portion of the procedure.

There seems to be quite a lot of filings and documentation required in California for Legal Separation.

San Diego, California Legal Separation Attorney :: Legal Separation :: Vista , California Divorce Lawyer

Additionally--even if there weren't the documentation that California requires--the judge would have an investigation done of the conditions under which teh childten would live--and thus the separate residences for the two parties--Katherine and Joe--would be revealed. And further investigation would reveal that they live part. (As well as the conditions and reasons for their doing so.)

Child custody is not done lightly in any state. With a case this public the judge would most likely take even more care to do all that needs doing before making any ruling.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I do understand the legal process of dissolving a marriage - I've worked in civil litigation for 20 years. I know the hoops the couples have to jump through. And since all we have in Utah is a "Separate Maintenance Degree," which isn't far from a divorce, does the legal separation allow Mr. Jackson to re-enter the lives of the family (esp the chldren/grandchildren) and resume his role as "man of the house"? If so, why bother with the separation? Does the judge have sole decision-making powers in this case? And if so, why the Petition and Summons? (Petition to Modify Legal Separation - I'm guessing?) If a Guardian ad Litem is appointed (whom I also worked for here in Utah) - there will be no question as to who won't be getting sole custody of the little money makers....er....precious children.

That man sickens me.

Kao

JD, quick question here. Can you get a divorce in Utah, or can you only get the separate maintenance degree?

No, you can get a civil divorce here. Seperate maintenance decrees are quite rare. For instance, if a couple gets married in the mormon temple, that marriage claims to last for eternity. A civil ceremony lasts until death. Some couples choose a civil ceremony so all family members can attend, then do the temple marriage privately. If the couple gets a civil divorce, it is not recognized by the church, and it is doctrine that the couple will be together again in heaven. (Barring special circumstances.) It's really complicated, but also adds to one's social status here. All the couple needs to do is "claim" to be worthy (worthy is no smoking, drinking booze, doing drugs, and the deadliest of all sins - partaking of the unholy caffeine) and they are granted permission to marry in the temple. Any behavior or intention afterward does not necessarily cause the temple marriage to become moot, although it may cause the civil marriage to dissolve. Oh, and only the women have to get the temple divorce to remarry. The men can marry in the temple as many times as he wishes - and each of these women will be his wives in the hereafter.

And if I haven't completely confused you so far, ask me about the mormon underwear. (really - special underwear....oh my....)

Kao - I am not making any of this up - and I haven't "spilled the beans" on the secrets of the temple. Welcome to my world. So now that I've bestowed upon you lesson number one, may I have 10 percent of your income?

TMI?

Sure hope my ex isn't reading this, he'll have me burned at the stake.

Feel free to PM me any time if you have any more questions or feel completely blindsided by all of this - or any other of our "quirky" customs/rituals. I will, however, publicly state I'm not a practicing mormon anymore, but I was born and raised here, knew many "devout" memebers of Thee Church, and even married one.

I think I need a smoke break and a cocktail.
    Last edited by J.D.; 07-12-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: I spell like a 3rd grader

Kao

Thank you for your kind answer! ^_^

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3564488;
    I do understand the legal process of dissolving a marriage - I've worked in civil litigation for 20 years. I know the hoops the couples have to jump through.
    And since all we have in Utah is a "Separate Maintenance Degree," which isn't far from a divorce, does the legal separation allow Mr. Jackson to re-enter the lives of the family (esp the chldren/grandchildren) and resume his role as "man of the house"? If so, why bother with the separation?

Does the judge have sole decision-making powers in this case?

And if so, why the Petition and Summons? (Petition to Modify Legal Separation - I'm guessing?) If a Guardian ad Litem is appointed (whom I also worked for here in Utah) - there will be no question as to who won't be getting sole custody of the little money makers....er....precious children.

That man sickens me.
    JD--hi--your post has questions about a number of different issues--from Separation Agreements (which are often kept private) to Divorce Settlements to Child Welfare and Child Custody issues.

Which would you like to discuss first?

From the explanation I posted re California Separation procedures it seems that the Petitition is filed to create the Legal Separation.

And sounds to be very different from what you have in Utah.

Different states often have very different rules/procedures for Separations, Divorces etc.

Because it's obvious from what you've said and from what I quoted that Utah's law are quite different from California's--it doesn't seem to help to understand Califnoria's laws by bringing up Utah's rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3566473;
    JD--hi--your post has questions about a number of different issues--from Separation Agreements (which are often kept private) to Divorce Settlements to Child Welfare and Child Custody issues.

Which would you like to discuss first?

From the explanation I posted re California Separation procedures it seems that the Petitition is filed to create the Legal Separation.

And sounds to be very different from what you have in Utah.

Different states often have very different rules/procedures for Separations, Divorces etc.

Because it's obvious from what you've said and from what I quoted that Utah's law are quite different from California's--it doesn't seem to help to understand Califnoria's laws by bringing up Utah's rules.

I'm concerned that this may be the wrong forum to discuss these matters. The point of my post was to ask what the ramifications (if Joe Jackson asked for custody of the children), would be between a Legal Separation and a divorce. So the reason I made the comparison between Utah rules and California rules was to ask what those differences may be so I can better understand what may happen in this case.

I'm not saying Utah is right and California is wrong - I'm simply saying things are different here, asking what the differences are and what impact of those differences may mean.

I'm certainly not "calling you out" or insinuating you don't know what you are talking about. But again, I don't think this is the proper forum for this topic, and if you would like to discuss it further, please PM me.

I'm sorry for any confusion my post may have caused.

Great, now wack-a-doodle Latoya is saying Michael was murdered.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

FORT Fogey

JD--hi.

Utah's rules sound very different from most other states.

In CA--as well as in other states--a "Legal Separation" is a specifc set of conditions--and it may or may not lead to Divorce.

(I don't feel you're "calling me out." We've been discussing the ;legal aspects of Jackson's death and all the related legal issues throughout this whole thread.)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3567146;
    Great, now wack-a-doodle Latoya is saying Michael was murdered.
    I just heard Whoopee Goldberg (on The View) say that there are other members of the Jackson family who feel the same way.

+ Reply to Thread