+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 78 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Jackson

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

Re: Michael Jackson is Dead at 50 yrs. of age

Personally, I'm going to miss his talent, but not the circus act that his life was. He was an extemely talented man who was raised in an extremely unhealthy environment. He should have spent the last 30 years on the couch trying to work his way to reality. Whatever. RIP Michael. You did change the world.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

MRD

Well it's actually been a real treat for me to watch MTV today and see actual videos. Brought back a lot of memories. I remember when MTV came out and we FINALLY got it and it almost rendered my stereo obsolete because you could watch AND listen to music. Now I never see videos on MTV or VH1. So it's been kind of nice today.

As for this consuming all the news despite everything else that is still going on in the world, during The Great Depression, moving going actually went up because people were looking for an escape from the real problems they faced. I think that besides it being a tribute to MJ, the constant playing of his music and videos has provided people with a bit of a distraction from economic and world problems.

I can't watch it constantly and have managed to just catch a little here and there, but I did enjoy watching some videos this afternoon. I do wish that MSNBC would get back to regular programming though.

ETA: Gracie, my husband and I were just talking about the We are the World video and single and how BIG that was at the time and how it brought a problem to millions of people that might not have been mainstream news watchers, etc. And because of it, they raised a lot of money and awareness. I just remember how HUGE that whole event was when it happened and everyone was talking about it. Too bad he didn't keep bringing that message to the world instead of retreating into himself and his weird life. But he did do some great things at one time and that was one of them. Doesn't give him a free pass for what came later, but he did impact the world in a positive way at one time.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-28-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm not defending the nanny at all, but she was the nanny and is not the mother to any of Michael's 3 kids.
    I was upset with the remarks that Liza Minelli made a few days ago. Her own mother died of drugs and Liza has done more than her share of them. I am a little tired of all these people who aways come out afterwards and say that the celebs were doing all these drugs. So WTH didn't they ever try to do something about it when the person was still alive?!
    And, as far as those who said Michael's death took away from some of the other more pressing world news - Iran, etc., well, it looks like we're rapidly getting back to all of that. I could barely make my way back home today due to the Iran protests they had in my neighborhood once again. It seems that life goes on even in La La Land.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3531118;
    I'm not defending the nanny at all, but she was the nanny and is not the mother to any of Michael's 3 kids.
    I was upset with the remarks that Liza Minelli made a few days ago. Her own mother died of drugs and Liza has done more than her share of them. I am a little tired of all these people who aways come out afterwards and say that the celebs were doing all these drugs. So WTH didn't they ever try to do something about it when the person was still alive?!
    And, as far as those who said Michael's death took away from some of the other more pressing world news - Iran, etc., well, it looks like we're rapidly getting back to all of that. I could barely make my way back home today due to the Iran protests they had in my neighborhood once again. It seems that life goes on even in La La Land.
    from everything I have read the last few days...it does seem his family was trying to get him to do something about the drugs...as for the doctor and the nanny...as we were discussing earlier it all comes down to MONEY...and that keeps them quiet..its a shame too...
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;3531127;
    from everything I have read the last few days...it does seem his family was trying to get him to do something about the drugs...as for the doctor and the nanny...as we were discussing earlier it all comes down to MONEY...and that keeps them quiet..its a shame too...
    I agree. I do think his immediate family was trying to help him.
    I hate, though, when all these celebs/ hangers on / friends come out of the woodwork and go on the news and give their 2 cents about things. Everyone from Deepak Chopra to Liza Minnelli to the family attorney to the nanny, et al, had to get in their 15 second soundbite, it seems.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3531118;

The impressaion I got from the first report of Liza Minelli's reaction to Michael's death was that she and he were good buddies because of their addiction--and that she had tried to help--or at least support him in efforts to quit.

I think she was referring to the fact that until the info got out--most of his fans had no idea that he was so addicted to painkillers.

I personally did not get the impression that she was judging Jackson but just commenting on how shocked/surprised his fans would be when it got out.

I hope that makes sense?
    (I think I first saw that on Access Hollywood on the night he died. They showed a photo of Liza and Michael in a big hug.)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3531139;
    I agree. I do think his immediate family was trying to help him.
    I hate, though, when all these celebs/ hangers on / friends come out of the woodwork and go on the news and give their 2 cents about things. Everyone from Deepak Chopra to Liza Minnelli to the family attorney to the nanny, et al, had to get in their 15 second soundbite, it seems.

Deepak Chopra--who is a highly regarded person who helps people attain better health and live in a more spiritual way--is hardly a "Hanger-on."

By all accounts he and Michael were good friends and Deepak tried to help him by counselling him about his painkiller use.

somewhere I read that just yesterday that papa jackson called the nanny and wanted to know where MJJ kept his stash of cash.

that family is a bunch of vultures...they will fight publically for all of his worth

Don Lemon from CNN just did a brief interview with Joe Jackson outside the BET Awards being held this evening. BET has supposedly done a tribute to MJ which will be shown tonight. Don was asking Joe about Michael, how the family is doing, etc. Joe proceeded to tell Don about the new business (music) venture - Ranch Records - that he was involved in.
    THat seemed a bit callous, to say the least.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25;3527394;
    I think the ex-wife can get custody. She signed off parental rights with the exception that if MJ died before her that she would get custody.
    I haven't read this entire thread, so excuse me if this has been covered. I seem to remember that, during Michael's molestation trial, Debbie Rowe sued to recover her parental rights. I don't remember, however, what the result of that suit was. If anybody knows, please enlighten me.
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

+ Reply to Thread