+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Swayze

Re: Patrick Swayze

I'm afraid to think that Patrick is next on the list for passing away. I'm actually amazed that he has lived so long. Pancreatic cancer is very difficult to beat. Prayers to him and his family for strength and healing at this time. And for a CURE!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

a co-worker, after hearing about farah, was predicting he would be next, to round out the 3, but he was wrong ... for now.

I've always loved Patrick Swayze.
    Too many of our favorites seem to be getting these deadly diseases instead of being able to grow old gracefully. I would love for him to be the one to beat his & show us a medical success story.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3526406;
    a co-worker, after hearing about farah, was predicting he would be next, to round out the 3, but he was wrong ... for now.
    Actually, we have our 3 celebrities - Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. Each was a true icon.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

I remember when Princess Diana died and Mother Theresa died about the same time. So much attention was on Princess Diana that no one talked about Mother Theresa. I'm afraid that the same thing is happening to the legacy of Ed McMahon. He was older than MJ and FF, but I don't think people will consider his legacy to Hollywood as much as the other two. It's kinda sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25;3528177;
    I remember when Princess Diana died and Mother Theresa died about the same time. So much attention was on Princess Diana that no one talked about Mother Theresa. I'm afraid that the same thing is happening to the legacy of Ed McMahon. He was older than MJ and FF, but I don't think people will consider his legacy to Hollywood as much as the other two. It's kinda sad.
    I think all 3- Michael, Farrah and Ed were icons that were larger than life.
    Because Ed was quite elderly, his death did not take us by surprise. Because Farrah was so ill, her death did not take us by surprise. But Michael's death was a total surprise to everyone - just like Diana's was. So many of us grew up with the music of MJ, that we have that feeling of loss.
    I am saddened by all 3 celebs passing, but MJ's is probably the hardest due to what he did for so many. He was responsible for bringing black singers to mainstream ala MTV in its early days. He paved the way for so many to come after him and his music carries beautiful messages about peace, love and unity among people.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I honestly don't think of Ed McMahon as an Icon. He pimped himself out with Hammer for God's sake!

Now, if Walter Cronkite (who is very ill) had passed away instead, then I'd agree with the Icon status.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3530033;
    I honestly don't think of Ed McMahon as an Icon. He pimped himself out with Hammer for God's sake!

Now, if Walter Cronkite (who is very ill) had passed away instead, then I'd agree with the Icon status.
    You'd be surprised what some people have to do to make a living in later years. You don't often have a choice.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3542764;
    You'd be surprised what some people have to do to make a living in later years. You don't often have a choice.
    Point taken, Sukee (Joe DiMaggio, Orson Welles)

However, Ed McMahon was never and should not be considered an "icon". He's the best second banana (or 2nd best after Chewbaca) ever, but that does not an icon make.

IMO there are few icons left today. The media makes celebrities of any idiot who happens to be related to someone or makes a 15 min appearance on tv or has a snappy one-hit wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3542880;
    Point taken, Sukee (Joe DiMaggio, Orson Welles)

However, Ed McMahon was never and should not be considered an "icon". He's the best second banana (or 2nd best after Chewbaca) ever, but that does not an icon make.

IMO there are few icons left today. The media makes celebrities of any idiot who happens to be related to someone or makes a 15 min appearance on tv or has a snappy one-hit wonder.
    I will have to disagree with you. I remember watching Johnny Carson and it did not seem the same if Ed McMahon was not on that night. He was the straight man on the show. Just like it was not the same without Doc Seversen(spelling)
    There's no place like home!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast