+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Farrah Fawcett Dying--The Documentary On NBC

FORT Fogey

Farrah Fawcett Dying--The Documentary On NBC

I just saw an ad on tv for the Today Show--starting tomorrow morning--Monday, May 11--the Today Show is running the documentary that Farrah Fawcett has done about her journey with her cancer.

Here is a link to the info that Access Hollywood ran about the story. It looks like NBC won't post any info until after they run the documentary this week--I'll post that as soon as they put it up.

Home | Access Hollywood - Celebrity News, Photos & Videos

What do you think of her? And what do you think about her making very public her fight for her life?
    Last edited by steppemaster; 05-11-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Kao

Re: Farrah Faucett Dying--The Documentary On NBC

My first thought is: Is she even well enough to give her consent for this?

Different reports confirm that she's in really bad shape and has been essentially sent home to die. Her ex and son are with her now and old friends have been stopping by to say goodbye.

I feel really horrible for her. And I really wish that they would wait until she moves on before they air that documentary because it's in really poor taste.

I think the documentary was filmed in an effort to bring awareness to cancer and the goal was to air it while she was dying. I remember reading that she went to Europe for unconventional treatments with cameras in tow.

FORT Fogey

According to Ryan O'Neal, it was Farrah's idea to have the cameras with her when she went to the doctor. At the time, she thought she was going to get a good prognosis - that she'd beat the cancer. When she did not, she made the decision to continue to film her journey. She was expecting to get better, but knew there were two possibilities, and gave her consent at that time either way. Ryan O'Neal has said that in her current state, Farrah doesn't realize how bad it is -- tha he continues to give her encouragement and tell her how well she's doing, because she can't do anything about her condition at this point, and the encouragement lessens the suffering. She's also being kept in the dark about her son's legal woes.

Here's the explanation in her own words. Very sad situation all around. My mother is suffering from metastatic breast cancer right now and I don't know that I'll be able to watch this.

Farrah breaks her silence

One thing Farrah Fawcett would have appreciated during the course of her very public, 2½-year-battle with cancer: privacy. But that is the one thing she never received.

"It's much easier to go through something and deal with it without being under a microscope," says the terminally ill star, 62. "It was stressful. I was terrified of getting the chemo. It's not pleasant. And the radiation is not pleasant."

Speaking to a reporter for the first time since she was diagnosed with anal cancer in September 2006, the former Charlie's Angels icon granted Charles Ornstein, formerly of the Los Angeles Times, an interview – one she gave in August and which the newspaper published Monday, in anticipation of Farrah's Story, a two-hour NBC documentary Fawcett filmed with her friend Alana Stewart. It airs this Friday.

Harsh Words
    Her harshest words were saved for the often-exaggerated stories about her illness that were published by a supermarket tabloid, a situation that caused her, she says, to establish a sting operation at the UCLA Medical Center to catch snooping employees who were leaking information about her condition to the publication.

Reacting to a December 2006 story headlined, "Farrah Begs: 'Let Me Die,' " Fawcett, speaking in her home, told the Times: "God, I would never say something like that. To think that people who did look up to me and felt positive because I was going through it too and yet I was strong … it just negated all that."

Cancer 'Is All You Talk About'
    Last week, Fawcett's teary-eyed companion and caretaker, Ryan O'Neal, told PEOPLE exclusively, "She stays in bed now. The doctors see that she is comfortable. Farrah is on IVs, but some of that is for nourishment. The treatment has pretty much ended."

In August, Fawcett said of her fight against the disease, "It becomes your life. People call, 'How are you?' 'How do you feel?' 'We're praying for you.' 'Do you still have your hair?' 'What do you feel like?' When every single call is that kind of call … it's all you talk about. It's all consuming. Then, your quality of life is never the same."

Fawcett's quality of life was further jeopardized by the constant intrusion of paparazzi, who trailed her from Los Angeles, where she lives and was treated at UCLA, to Germany, where she also received alternative treatment.

"I'm a private person," Fawcett told Ornstein. "I'm shy about people knowing things. And I'm really shy about my medical [care]. It would be good if I could just go and heal and then when I decided to go out, it would be okay. It seems that there are areas that should be off-limits."

Before Condition Worsened
    As for withholding her August remarks until now, the Times reports it was acting under the request of Fawcett and her rep, to connect the interview to the upcoming TV special. "There will be a good time, and what I have to say then will be more important," Fawcett said in August, before her condition deteriorated.

Still, back then, the actress said he wanted to serve as an example whose health battle would offer a lasting effect – especially in the areas of protecting patient confidentiality and promoting alternative treatments for cancer.

Said Fawcett, "I'm holding onto the hope that there is some reason that I got cancer and there is something – that may not be very clear to me right now – but that I will do."
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

Broadway--I've been through that situation with a loved one. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mother.

And thanks for the info you posted.

(My apologies for misspelling Fawcett's name in the title. I tried to correct it but couldn't get it to work.)

I'm sorry about your mom, Broadway. Four women in my family have battled breast cancer, including my mother. I don't think I can watch Fawcett's documentary either, but I think that it was a project worth doing. I can understand a celebrity wanting to do something like this on her own terms, rather than having tabloids and paparazzi tell the story the way they see it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Premium Member

Re: Farrah Fawcett Dying--The Documentary On NBC

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3443952;
    (My apologies for misspelling Fawcett's name in the title. I tried to correct it but couldn't get it to work.)
    I will fix it.

Hugs to you Broadway, my mom went through breast cancer last year. Fortunately she's fine now, but at the time it was hard not knowing how things would turn out. My heart goes out to Farrah and her family, and I can also see how she would want her story told on her terms like AJane said.

FORT Fogey

Re: Farrah Fawcett Dying--The Documentary On NBC

My apologies--I didn't get this story quite straight--though I was reporting what I heard on the ad for the Today Show.

It seems that NBC is showing portions of Farrah's documentary during this week on the Today Show--and then NBC will air the entire documentary this coming Friday night.

(Marleybone--thanks for your help. I'm glad to hear that your mother is doing well.)

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3443717;
    According to Ryan O'Neal, it was Farrah's idea to have the cameras with her when she went to the doctor. At the time, she thought she was going to get a good prognosis - that she'd beat the cancer. When she did not, she made the decision to continue to film her journey. She was expecting to get better, but knew there were two possibilities, and gave her consent at that time either way. Ryan O'Neal has said that in her current state, Farrah doesn't realize how bad it is -- tha he continues to give her encouragement and tell her how well she's doing, because she can't do anything about her condition at this point, and the encouragement lessens the suffering. She's also being kept in the dark about her son's legal woes.
    Thank you so much for this information; this makes me feel somewhat better about it. The press is so ugly when people are suffering or close to death; they are like vultures. Not everyone wants to have their last moments dragged out for the world to see. Some people want to enjoy their last moments with their families and maintain a little dignity. Look at what they are doing to that poor Patrick Swayze. I loved him in the Dirty Dancing, and every week I see the most horrible pictures of him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast