+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Farrah Fawcett Dying--The Documentary On NBC

Re: Farrah Fawcett Dying--The Documentary On NBC

Thank you all! Mom had breast cancer 19 years and it was remission until summer of 2007 when it was discovered that it had moved into her pelvic bone. With surgery and regular treatments the docs have been able to keep it stagnant (for lack of a better word) until this January. Since then she's been going through a pretty tough treatment that has left her sick and in pain for most all of the last 4 months. I am sure she wishes she could be kept in the dark like Ryan O'Neal says FF is, but....

The one thing that really hits home up above is her comment that it's incredibly tough when every.last.call. she takes is someone reminding her of her illness, however well-intentioned. That's an eye opener... and I'm going to really focus on having conversations with Mom where I don't ask her how she's feeling that day. I mean, really, I should be able to tell just from the sound of her voice. I think even in that seemingly small comment FF has definitely helped.

AJane, I agree with you... at least she can do this doc on her terms so she can control the information that is out there about her. Watching how the media has put both her and Patrick Swayze on a constant death watch for the past years has got to be demoralizing and somewhat defeating for them. Good for her for taking control.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3445376;

The one thing that really hits home up above is her comment that it's incredibly tough when every.last.call. she takes is someone reminding her of her illness, however well-intentioned. That's an eye opener... and I'm going to really focus on having conversations with Mom where I don't ask her how she's feeling that day. I mean, really, I should be able to tell just from the sound of her voice. I think even in that seemingly small comment FF has definitely helped.
    I learned to appreciate that last year with my mom. She is an expert at crocheting, and I suck at it, so when she was going through the chemo and radiation I got her working with me on it. We made about half a dozen hats between the two of us and it was really fun. It's the one thing she loves to do that helped keep it not just about the cancer.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3446094;
    I learned to appreciate that last year with my mom. She is an expert at crocheting, and I suck at it, so when she was going through the chemo and radiation I got her working with me on it. We made about half a dozen hats between the two of us and it was really fun. It's the one thing she loves to do that helped keep it not just about the cancer.

I really identiy with this. When our loved one was undergoing chemo etc the one thing she said to us often was--"Please talk about something else besides my cancer. That will help me feel like a normal person more than anything else."

And that's what we did.

I started watching the entertainment "news" shows so we would have something silly and relatively meaningless to share a smile about.

And we discussed real news events of course.

But that lesson of treating the person just like I treat everyone else is one that I carry with me to this day--and has given me a good way of relating to crime and other trauma victims when doing Victim Witness Advocacy work.

In the midst of a crisis what most people want is to just be treated as themselves.

It is a great gift we can all give.

From what I've seen it sounds like Ryan O'Neal is doing this for Farrah. He has gone up lot in my estimation as I watch how he helps her through this.
    Last edited by steppemaster; 05-12-2009 at 05:11 PM.

FORT Fanatic

Ryan O'Neal is in love with a woman who has cancer, his every thought shows his love for her. Redmond and his father both have serious drug problems. I think from the famous David Letterman clip that Farrah probably joined in the family drug use. I hope that Farrah's ongoing battle with cancer and its most likely outcome help the family rid themselves of the demon once and for all. Redmond is going to end up in prison if he cant find a way to live without the drugs and Ryan will most likely die from an overdose soon after Farrah's death. Much sadder than any fictional movie in my opinion.

Oh Gosh. Its on right now. I just watched the first 10 minutes, there's a commercial now. This is going to be a very emotional documentary. I pray for her, her family, and friends. I saw another special months ago, it was about Alana Stewart and FF's trip to Germany. I hope they all find strength somehow to get through it all.

Wow this was really hard for me to watch. My mom died of Colon Cancer in 2003 and It brought back all the chemo, the hair falling out and years of hospital visits and tests. How this woman has managed to do this with a bunch of nasty Papparazzi taking her pictures as she is trying to fight for her life is amazing. I swear those people need to be stopped from being paid stalkers.

I can only hope Redmond turns his life around. Once he loses his mom it will slowly kill him if he isn't in the right place mentally.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I happened upon this as I was channel surfing. It was too intense for me to watch but I wish her the best!
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by imissme;3451231;
    Ryan O'Neal is in love with a woman who has cancer, his every thought shows his love for her. Redmond and his father both have serious drug problems. I think from the famous David Letterman clip that Farrah probably joined in the family drug use. I hope that Farrah's ongoing battle with cancer and its most likely outcome help the family rid themselves of the demon once and for all. Redmond is going to end up in prison if he cant find a way to live without the drugs and Ryan will most likely die from an overdose soon after Farrah's death. Much sadder than any fictional movie in my opinion.
    I knew Redmond had problems with drugs, but I didn't know Ryan O'Neal did. I read that he was arrested for having drugs in his house but I figured he was holding them for his son.
    Anyway, he has two half siblings Tatum and Griffin.....were they in the documentary? I only watched pits and pieces, too sad to watch...they were playing it like she had already died. So so sad.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3452236;
    Wow this was really hard for me to watch. My mom died of Colon Cancer in 2003 and It brought back all the chemo, the hair falling out and years of hospital visits and tests. How this woman has managed to do this with a bunch of nasty Papparazzi taking her pictures as she is trying to fight for her life is amazing. I swear those people need to be stopped from being paid stalkers.
    I can only hope Redmond turns his life around. Once he loses his mom it will slowly kill him if he isn't in the right place mentally.
    This wasn't "nasty Papparazzi", this was Farrah's choice to document her journey. She took a video camera to her doctor's appointment awhile back expecting to get good news, but when the news was bad she decided to record anyway. From what I read about it, I saw it as her way of going through it on her terms rather than having a bunch of tabloid headlines that she had no control over. Kind of like what they've done to Patrick Swayze.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3452362;
    This wasn't "nasty Papparazzi", this was Farrah's choice to document her journey. She took a video camera to her doctor's appointment awhile back expecting to get good news, but when the news was bad she decided to record anyway. From what I read about it, I saw it as her way of going through it on her terms rather than having a bunch of tabloid headlines that she had no control over. Kind of like what they've done to Patrick Swayze.
    I'm talking about the ones trying to photograph her in the wheelchair. Not the documentary. Farrah was upset over them chasing her down trying to take her photo in the wheelchair she mentioned it, as did ryan on the show.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast