+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3185396;
    "Paging Dr. Peanut. Dr. Peanut to the ER STAT!!!"
    there is a Dr. Doctor in a city near here. he's a cardiologist. can you imagine hearing THAT on the paging system?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3185429;
    there is a Dr. Doctor in a city near here. he's a cardiologist. can you imagine hearing THAT on the paging system?
    Actually I HAVE! There was a doctor where we used to live named Dr. Doctor. It's funny to hear that. They always paged him by Dr. RONALD Doctor.

There was also a dr. that specialized in carpal tunnel surgery named Dr. Hand and an OB dr. named Dr. Payne. I think I would not like to go to Dr. Payne.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3185396;

I always think about how you never hear names like these in the papers in connection with a big career move like medicine or law, but then you read the police report and there is ALWAYS someone in there with a ridiculous name being arrested.
    Not saying that the name always affects your career choice, but think about it. How many doctors, lawyers and engineers do you know with weird names? And how many times do you read in the paper about people being arrested that have weird names?

"police arrested Peaches Smith today on drug charges and intent to distribute illegal drugs...."

Just sayin.
    Have you ever read the book Freakonomics? There is a whole chapter about unusual baby names and the way popular baby names change every 10 years or so. It was really interesting stuff.

Ok, you're all going to laugh but my OBGYN's name was Dr. Finger, I'm not lying!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Near my town is an OB/GYN named Dr Butcher. I would be terrified to see him!!!! LOL
    Chittlins forever y'all!

My sister has two nephews, Quartz and Onyx. The parents are expecting a third child... who knows what that one will end up with. And I also told my son that if he ever decided he doesn't like his name (which is a "normal" one with a slightly unusual spelling), just think - I could have named him Dweezil.

An article in Readers Digest (I think) stated that if you are going to give your child an unusual name, to use it yourself for a day. See what reactions you get when you introduce yourself, and see if you want THAT for your child! Good advice, in my opinion.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3185662;
    Ok, you're all going to laugh but my OBGYN's name was Dr. Finger, I'm not lying!
    hahaha, you would think he'd be a proctologist with that name!

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3185879;
    An article in Readers Digest (I think) stated that if you are going to give your child an unusual name, to use it yourself for a day. See what reactions you get when you introduce yourself, and see if you want THAT for your child! Good advice, in my opinion.
    Not only is that good advice, it would be a FUN experement!

I can't have any more babies But maybe I'll pull some of the names we had chosen for girls back when we were still procreating out of a hat next time I'm at a bar and someone hits on me. You know, just to see

We lean toward unusual names.. some maybe bordering on celeb level kooky?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

MRD

The best piece of baby naming advice I got when pregnant was to go to my backdoor, open it and scream the child's name at the top of my lungs about 10 times in a row. If it still sounded good after that, then go for it. The reasoning: Because that's how you and the child will hear that name for many years to come.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3186980;
    The best piece of baby naming advice I got when pregnant was to go to my backdoor, open it and scream the child's name at the top of my lungs about 10 times in a row. If it still sounded good after that, then go for it. The reasoning: Because that's how you and the child will hear that name for many years to come.
    I can remember my Mom telling that same story....it was advice she received while pregnant. I'd say it's still pretty sound advice.

Quote Originally Posted by TnCountryChick;3185829;
    Near my town is an OB/GYN named Dr Butcher. I would be terrified to see him!!!! LOL
    A couple of years ago I broke my ankle while on a ski trip and was taken to the local hospital where I was introduced to the attending physician Dr. Abbott.....too bad I didn't hear his name the correct way when he introduced himself as I called him Dr. Rabbit until someone corrected me.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread