+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

Re: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

Aurora isn't that bad. It's the middle name that puts it over the top. It's like what a 5 year old would name a baby. I guess she can always change it when she turns 18....or, you know, become a stripper.
    NCLurker and JavaJo like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Recall Frank Zappa's kids' names? Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet, and Diva Muffin? It's unreal.

I think that people who give names to their kids that are very odd and bizarre, do it for their on purposes. They have something to prove and they don't care if the child pays the price for it. Like Holly is saying. She wants her daughter to stand out and not conform, the way she did as a child. Holly says she was a people pleaser and that she doesn't want her child to be that way. So, the name is more about Holly that the child. Very selfish, IMO.
    NCLurker likes this.

Frank Zappa's kids have done alright for themselves, and there is a well-reviewed writer named Rainbow Rowell (I've just purchased one of her books) - just a few of those who are succeeding even with "terrible" names. Personally, I would prefer being named pretty much any of the aforementioned than, say, Madison, Tiffany, Ashley, or Courtney.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Frank Zappa's kids have done alright for themselves, and there is a well-reviewed writer named Rainbow Rowell (I've just purchased one of her books) - just a few of those who are succeeding even with "terrible" names. Personally, I would prefer being named pretty much any of the aforementioned than, say, Madison, Tiffany, Ashley, or Courtney.
    I remember back when my own kids were small, the popularity of what I call The J Names: Jennifer, Jessica, Jeremy, Josh, Jake, Joleen, Josie, Jarrod (Jared, Jarod), and others. I avoided them like the plague.
    Mine have normal names, but not trendy names.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I used to think that classic names were boring, such as Elizabeth, Mary, Katherine, James, Andrew, etc. NOW, I see the beauty and why they stand up over time.

Trendy names aren't necessarily bad. Some are quite nice (the J names for instance). It's just that it gets a bit wierd when a few grades of school are over populated with the same names.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Trendy names aren't necessarily bad. Some are quite nice (the J names for instance). It's just that it gets a bit wierd when a few grades of school are over populated with the same names.
    True that.

My given first name isn't heard a LOT nowadays, but way back when, I was in high school with FOUR OTHER PEOPLE THAT HAD MY FIRST NAME. And, guaranteed, at least TWO of us usually wound up in the same class. As a result, I was mostly known by my surname, alone, or "Miss" (there WAS no "Ms.", then) ______________.

Yep, it got REAL old.

I was SO glad to get that HS diploma and get the hell OUT of there so I could start being called by my given first name! Like a NORMAL person!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I have a baby in my swim class with my name as her middle name. I asked, because I've never had a student with my name, even though it was common when I was growing up, and sure enough - she was named after her grandmother. Brenda was a popular name in my grade school class - I think we had 3.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I have a baby in my swim class with my name as her middle name. I asked, because I've never had a student with my name, even though it was common when I was growing up, and sure enough - she was named after her grandmother. Brenda was a popular name in my grade school class - I think we had 3.
    You have a baby with Gutmutter for her middle name?!?!?!?!

Sorry, couldn't help myself with that one.
    ness, Hyper, Shoepie and 2 others like this.

When I was growing up my favorite names were: Angela, Laura, Lori, Kim, Carrie, Beth, Shannon, Keith, and Joey.

+ Reply to Thread