+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

I don't know that Maxwell is any less androgynous than names like Sidney, MacKenzie, Brook, Michael, or a host of others that have been given to
    girls. But, since I had a dog named Maxwell, it seems kind of inappropriate to me.

However, I'd rather be named Maxwell than Blue Ivy which sounds like a hybrid decorative vine.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 05-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    libgirl2 and tapper01 like this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I think that there is something quite disturbing about parents who give their new baby a bizarre or awkward name. I think Maxwell for a girl is just bizarre. It makes me wonder what resentment she must have to this child. It changed my opinion about JS big time.
    Last edited by Debb70; 05-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    bee stung lips likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Chris Hemsworth (Thor) and his wife Elsa became parents to a baby girl on Friday. They have named her India.

Okay, maybe it's not so odd . . . . . until you consider that they had their hearts set on using that name, in one form or another. If they baby girl had been a baby boy, he'd have been named Indiana.

I kid you not.

‘Avengers’ star Chris Hemsworth and wife Elsa Pataky welcome India, reveal meaning for baby’s name (Video) | TheCelebrityCafe.com

Edited to add: I have no idea where those funky looking symbols came from. They showed up after the copy/paste action.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think that there is something quite disturbing about parents who give their new baby a bizarre or awkward name. I think Maxwell for a girl is just bizarre. It makes me wonder what resentment she must have to this child. It changed my opinion about JS big time.
    I agree. Nothing irks me more than parents who use the birth of their baby to amuse themselves with naming them weird names, as though it were some sort of game. Then the poor kid has to go to school and be ridiculed and made fun of for a silly name, all because their parents thought they'd be clever and see how outlandish a name they could give their kid to in an effort to make it different than anyone else' name. Absolute stupidity. Naming your kid is not the same as naming a dog. In other words, some of the names parents come up with might sound clever and cute for a dog, but for a child...please.
    Miss Scarlet and Debb70 like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I agree. Nothing irks me more than parents who use the birth of their baby to amuse themselves with naming them weird names, as though it were some sort of game. Then the poor kid has to go to school and be ridiculed and made fun of for a silly name, all because their parents thought they'd be clever and see how outlandish a name they could give their kid to in an effort to make it different than anyone else' name. Absolute stupidity. Naming your kid is not the same as naming a dog. In other words, some of the names parents come up with might sound clever and cute for a dog, but for a child...please.
    EXACTLY. I wish those parents who are tempted to do this would really think of the reality of their kid growing up with the constant comments, having to explain, feeling different from other kids, etc. It indicates to me, that the parent was more concerned about amusing themself, than doing what is best for the child.
    tapper01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Chris Hemsworth (Thor) and his wife Elsa became parents to a baby girl on Friday. They have named her India.

Okay, maybe it's not so odd . . . . . until you consider that they had their hearts set on using that name, in one form or another. If they baby girl had been a baby boy, he'd have been named Indiana.

I kid you not.

€˜Avengers€™ star Chris Hemsworth and wife Elsa Pataky welcome India, reveal meaning for baby€™s name (Video) | TheCelebrityCafe.com

Edited to add: I have no idea where those funky looking symbols came from. They showed up after the copy/paste action.
    Actually in the book Gone with the Wind, a character is named India. Count that set in the south during the war, it is probably an old name.

On a lighter side and normal name:

Big Bang Theory's Simon Helberg Welcomes First Child! | Comcast
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Actually in the book Gone with the Wind, a character is named India. Count that set in the south during the war, it is probably an old name.

On a lighter side and normal name:

Big Bang Theory's Simon Helberg Welcomes First Child! | Comcast
    That link makes it look like the baby's name is Comcast! Her name is Adeline, which I think is sweet.

I like India. It's pretty and feminine, but also a bit unusual.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Katherine Heigl and her husband have adopted another baby. Her name is Adalaide Marie Hope.
    Shoepie and Debb70 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I actually kind of like Maxwell. I agree that it is a bit strange for a girl, but not as bad as some names I have seen. But what I don't like is the nickname Maxi. She will go through her life being called Maxi-Pad. And maybe it is just me, but if you are just going to call your child the nickname then why give them the full name? I knew someone who named her son Elliott - always intending to call him Eli. People pick on him with ET references. I always intended to call my daughter Kate, so that is what I named her. I admit, it does seem to confuse people that it isn't short for something - but if that was what I was going to call her, then I figured I should just name her that!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I actually kind of like Maxwell. I agree that it is a bit strange for a girl, but not as bad as some names I have seen. But what I don't like is the nickname Maxi. She will go through her life being called Maxi-Pad. And maybe it is just me, but if you are just going to call your child the nickname then why give them the full name? I knew someone who named her son Elliott - always intending to call him Eli. People pick on him with ET references. I always intended to call my daughter Kate, so that is what I named her. I admit, it does seem to confuse people that it isn't short for something - but if that was what I was going to call her, then I figured I should just name her that!
    I work with a woman named Randi, not short for anything. I like her name alot.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread