+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    It is a reasonably common name, at least in England, but the idiot Trump considers it to be exotic.
    I guess it just shows that a man who wears his hair the way he does, certainly doesn't have any sense in other areas!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Just out of curiosity, I googled the name Arabella. Turns out it's an opera by Richard Strauss. The basic premise of the whole thing is this:

The beautiful but proud Arabella is the daughter of the Waldner family, who face financial ruin unless Arabella marries a rich husband.

LOL! Marry a rich man. How appropriate is that for this particular family.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

After 22 months of pregnancy, Jessica Simpson gave birth today to Maxwell Drew Johnson (9 pounds 13 ounces and 21.75 inches).....a DAUGHTER. I don't mind androgynous names, but this one is just plain masculine. Maybe they'll call her Maxie. Still, one of the worst I've heard recently. It's not kooky and original, it's just for the wrong gender! Wonder what they'd name a girl.....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

Re: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

A long, long time ago, my husband (an artist) knew a bunch of wealthy "Sunday painters." These were old money type of women (unlike Vicky Harper Greyson) and I was surprised by how many of them had masculine names. Apparently, giving family names was the norm and it didn't matter if the baby was male or female. (Probably explains nicknames like Buffy and Miffy, etc., for the women).

My dad had a cousin with the name Maxine. I'm surprised they didn't go that route.

As far as celebrity baby names go, I don't think it's too bad. I wouldn't choose it, but it's better than Apple and Fifi. I'm just glad the poor girl finally popped. She had to be miserable.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    As far as celebrity baby names go, I don't think it's too bad. I wouldn't choose it, but it's better than Apple and Fifi. I'm just glad the poor girl finally popped. She had to be miserable.
    I don't think it's a bad name for a boy. At least Apple and Fifi are clearly girls. To quote Michael from DListed, "Maxwell Drew sounds like the name of Nancy Drew's know-it-all boy cousin who has dreams of becoming an R&B star."
    libgirl2 and ClosetRTWatcher like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRD View Post
    I've read some of the same studies that Noreality has and I have to say that when I see or hear the name Trevor, I have very negative connotations. Sorry to any Trevors out there, but I had very bad experiences with 2 different Trevors and it ruined the name for me.
    The kid in my elementary school classes who peed his pants frequently was named Trevor so I have bad associations with that name, too!

It's too bad because I liked the character Trevor Dillon on All My Children but his name always made me think of Trevor in school who smelled like pee.

I didn't like my full first name while I was growing up and always wanted to have it legally changed to my nickname but it costs too much and is too much of a hassle to do. My middle name is just alright. If I had been able to think of a middle name I liked better, I might have changed my name at one time. I'm in my forty's now, though, so it's unlikely I'll ever change it.
    Last edited by pikachu; 05-01-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    libgirl2 likes this.

I hate my name, as does my husband (it's a pretty prosaic name, just not my cup of tea), and I had thought about changing it about thirty years ago. It's a good thing I never got around to it because I would be humiliatingly named Sierra or Cheyenne today instead of the commonplace appellation I was given at birth.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I think Jessica's name choice would be great ................. for a boy.
    For a girl it's just wrong.
    If they had a boy were they going to name him Cynthia?
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

sorry, but I'm envisioning the name Pik A Chu and Ra T Tus for your names. I know it's not, but It COULD be!

+ Reply to Thread