+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

Re: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

So why not name the kid Kai, but they can use the name (or word!) "Peanut" as a nickname!?!

Same thing can apply to most of these celebaby names.

I'm going to off-shoot from this a little. While these aren't bad names at all, what do ya'll think of child/teen actors using their whole name? It sounds ok when they're younger but as they age and get more adult parts it just sounds silly to me sometimes. For ex. Tiffani Amber Theissen, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Evan Rachel Wood, Zachary Ty Bryan, Seann William Scott. There's more but these are the ones that come to mind.

I guess maybe the idea is to stand out, especially if other actors have the same or similar sounding name as you, but still. Sometimes it sounds okay (Seann William Scott) and sometimes it makes the person sound like an airhead (Tiffani Amber Theissen). I think she dropped her middle name now though.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Wouldn't it follow that Stage Mommy or Stage Daddy was probably making that decision for them?

But to be fair, isn't there also that stupid Actors' Equity thing about how each member has to have a unique name to belong?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3180195;
    Wouldn't it follow that Stage Mommy or Stage Daddy was probably making that decision for them?

But to be fair, isn't there also that stupid Actors' Equity thing about how each member has to have a unique name to belong?
    You're probably right about the parents picking their names. I don't know about the other though. I do know that some actors have to use different names because their real one is already taken. Michael Keaton was born Michael Douglas but of course that one was already in use. .

LG.

Michael J. Fox couldn't register as Mike Fox or Michael Fox, as that name was taken. His middle name started with an "A" (I can't remember, Andrew or Aaron or something like that) and his agent thought Michael A Fox sounded like he was calling himself "a fox" woo hoo, so they added a fake middle initial so he could get a name that the SAG union would accept as original.

So yes, you cannot join the actor's guild with the same name as another member.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;3180660;
    Michael J. Fox couldn't register as Mike Fox or Michael Fox, as that name was taken. His middle name started with an "A" (I can't remember, Andrew or Aaron or something like that) and his agent thought Michael A Fox sounded like he was calling himself "a fox" woo hoo
    Yeah, supposedly Vivica A. Fox did that deliberately years later, although amazingly enough her middle name really DOES start with an "A". I think her mother always wanted her to feel good about her looks or something.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;3180660;
    So yes, you cannot join the actor's guild with the same name as another member.
    That's how Michael Douglas became Michael Keaton. There was obviously already a Michael Douglas in SAG, so he changed his last name to Keaton.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by MMLEsq;3179656;
    That would be Indo Rademacher, who apparently is on General Hospital.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Why can't people give their children a name they can grow into and if they must use names like "Peanut", "Apple", "Zuma" because they have some significance to them, then use them as nicknames (or pets names).

MRD

I always like to think of someone in their 80's being called Peanut or Zuma.

And what if these kids decide to go into a really somber career like law or something?

"Presiding Judge Peanut will hear the case...."

"Paging Dr. Peanut. Dr. Peanut to the ER STAT!!!"

I always think about how you never hear names like these in the papers in connection with a big career move like medicine or law, but then you read the police report and there is ALWAYS someone in there with a ridiculous name being arrested.
    Not saying that the name always affects your career choice, but think about it. How many doctors, lawyers and engineers do you know with weird names? And how many times do you read in the paper about people being arrested that have weird names?

"police arrested Peaches Smith today on drug charges and intent to distribute illegal drugs...."

Just sayin.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread