+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: Celebaby News: aka "What NOT to name your kid"

Backstreet Boy Howie Dorough to Be a Dad

Backstreet Howie Dorough and his wife Leigh, a real estate broker, are expecting their first child in June, they tell PEOPLE exclusively.

"I know she's going to be a great mother," says Howie. "If she can take care of me, the biggest baby in the entire world, I think she's going to be okay with the little one coming along."

Adds Leigh: "I think he's going to be more hands-on than anyone expects. He's someone who will get up in the night and change diapers. He's such a partner of mine."

After marrying in December 2007, the Doroughs planned to travel before starting a family. "We've been together going on eight years, but we wanted to enjoy and adjust to living married life first," Howie tells PEOPLE. "So for the first eight months we traveled all over the world on an extended honeymoon."

Howie, 35, and Leigh, 34, had "an amazing time" as they hopped from Japan to Australia to Europe and back to North America on tour with his band. But tragedy struck last spring when Dorough's father Hoke was diagnosed with brain and lung cancer. He passed away just three months later in June 2008.

Focusing on Family
    "That kind of put things into perspective – passing on and bringing new life into the world," says Howie. "At that point we started focusing in on having a child. The baby is due the same month that my dad passed away last year, so it's almost like realizing life is a circle.”

Leigh, whose cravings include blueberry muffins, devised a plan to break the news to Howie after discovering she was pregnant after only a month of trying.

"Leigh surprised me with breakfast in bed. [I knew] something was up," Howie recalls. "I looked down and saw the pregnancy test strip [on the tray]. The look on my face was like something from America's Funniest Home Videos. I thought, 'Oh my god! Here we go! This is it!' "

Says Leigh of conceiving so quickly: "We were really blessed and lucky."

Designing a Nursery
    The couple, who doesn't want to find out the baby's sex before the birth, is planning a gender-neutral nursery. "We have a home in L.A. that's modern, a lot of wood," says Howie. "We want to do earth tones [for the nursery]. We've been talking about a jungle or safari theme."

The Doroughs say that many on Howie's side of the family are thinking blue – although Howie's siblings have children, and Leigh's sister had twins last year, there isn't a male to carry on the Dorough family surname. "So I think everybody would love a boy," he says. "We're just hoping for a healthy baby."

Howie is the third Backstreet Boy to expand his family – bandmate Brian Littrell and wife Leighanne have a 6-year-old son, Baylee, who was diagnosed with atypical Kawasaki Disease last month. Kevin Richardson, who left the group in 2006, has an 18-month-old son named Mason with wife Kristin.

The Backstreet Boys – who Howie says were "surprised but very, very enthusiastic" upon hearing his baby news – are currently recording a new album in L.A. before they head to South America in February to complete their world tour.
    Backstreet Boy Howie Dorough to Be a Dad - Backstreet Boys, Babies, Howie Dorough : People.com

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3275406;
    My SIL named her daughter Charlee (spelled with the two E's at the end). She thought she was being original, won't she be disappointed now.
    I've always been curious why people think they SHOULD be "original" with a name someone has to wear for a lifetime.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3357875;
    I've always been curious why people think they SHOULD be "original" with a name someone has to wear for a lifetime.
    There have been studies regarding how people react to others just based on the name that the people have. And that's even before they meet them. Names have a connotation to them, for the good and the bad. It's too bad more parents don'tthink about that when they come up with some ofthese names.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3357875;
    My ex-DIL always told me that she hated having to spell her name for everyone. Her name is "Aimee". Well, she named my granddaughter, "Baileigh". Don't get me wrong, I like the name. Just wonder why she'd spell it that way when she has issues with her own uncommonly spelled name. But I've yet to understand why she does half of the things she does.

thankfully, my son wasn't a girl ... he would have been a 'typhanie' (i was 19 at the time and liked 'tiffany' but wanted to be original). hehehehe. instead, he ended up 'matthew'

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3360503;
    thankfully, my son wasn't a girl ... he would have been a 'typhanie' (i was 19 at the time and liked 'tiffany' but wanted to be original). hehehehe. instead, he ended up 'matthew'
    He is lucky . I'm lucky that I didn't change my hated name when I moved out of parental control 29 years ago - I would now be living with the embarrassment that is Sierra or Cheyenne. I still hate my name but not nearly as much as either of those two.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

hahahaha! the closest i ever came to changing my name was a couple of years when i was a teen, i spelled it with a K ... so instead of Carol, i signed everything Karol.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I always hated my name-I wanted to be a Jane or Cathy or Mary. Now, no one else has that name, but they usually know someone who has that name.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3358891;
    My ex-DIL always told me that she hated having to spell her name for everyone. Her name is "Aimee". Well, she named my granddaughter, "Baileigh". Don't get me wrong, I like the name. Just wonder why she'd spell it that way when she has issues with her own uncommonly spelled name. But I've yet to understand why she does half of the things she does.

Aimee isn't that unusual a spelling, though it's not the most common. Unlike mine - Amye.

MRD

I hated my middle name which was Ford, so when I got married, I dropped Ford and put my maiden name in the middle.

I've read some of the same studies that Noreality has and I have to say that when I see or hear the name Trevor, I have very negative connotations. Sorry to any Trevors out there, but I had very bad experiences with 2 different Trevors and it ruined the name for me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread