+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 339 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree722Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3186460;
    No way! Who is going to do the voice now? That voice is an American icon now. Wow, that's sad.
    The proper way to ask that is "In a world... without Don LaFontaine..."

It's a shame though. 68 is not that old.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Premium Member

It's hard to imagine a world without his voice. He will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;3186292;
    Don LaFontaine, the voice of movie trailers, dies at 68 - The Ampersand

Don LaFontaine, the voice of movie trailers, dies at 68
    Posted: September 02, 2008, 7:35 AM by Mark Medley

You may not recognize the name Don LaFontaine but you definitely know the voice.

LaFontaine, who passed away Monday at the age of 68, was THE voice of movie trailers for almost 30 years.

The Minnesota-born LaFontaine reportedly voiced over 5,000 trailers and almost 350,000 commercials. He's responsible for the ubiquitous trailer-opening phrase "In a world..."

From his website:

Over the past 25 years, LaFontaine cemented his position as the "King of Voice-overs." Aside from his continuing work in the trailer industry, he has also been the voice of NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox and UPN, in addition to TNT, TBS and the Cartoon Network. By conservative estimates, he has voiced hundreds of thousands of television and radio spots, including commercials for Chevrolet, Pontiac, Ford, Budweiser, McDonalds, Coke, and many other corporate sponsors. At last count, he has worked on nearly 5000 films, including appearances as the in-show announcer for the Screen Actors Guild and Academy Awards. Based on contracts signed, he has the distinction of being perhaps the single busiest actor in the history of SAG.

Don LaFontaine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Oh, and he did that really funny GEICO commercial last year. How very sad. I loved his voice and phraseology.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3186770;
    It's hard to imagine a world without his voice. He will be missed.
    I know! You couldn't go to the movies without hearing that distinctive voice. RIP, Mr. LaFontaine.

Also RIP to Jerry Reed, I had a big crush on him after watching Smokey and the Bandit. Now I've got "East Bound and Down" stuck in my head.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;3186600;
    'Bandit' star Reed dies at 71 - CNN.com

'Bandit' star Reed dies at 71

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Jerry Reed, a singer who appeared in the "Smokey and the Bandit" movies, has died of complications from emphysema at age 71, his longtime booking agent said Tuesday.

Carrie Moore-Reed, who is no relation to the star, said Reed died early Monday morning.

Reed was a gifted guitarist who later became a songwriter, singer and actor.

As a singer in the 1970s and early 1980s, he had a string of hits that included "Amos Moses," "When You're Hot, You're Hot," "East Bound and Down," and "The Bird."

In the mid-1970s, he began acting in movies such as "Smokey and the Bandit" with Burt Reynolds, "Gator" "Hot Stuff" and "High-Ballin'."
    I heard this on the radio today and had to pull my car over because I literally started crying. I loved Jerry Reed. I saw him in concert once and he was fantastic and I think I saw Smokey and the Bandit about 10 times in the theater when it came out. I even owned the soundtrack album (and can recite most of the dialog-yes, I needed a life back when I was 16.

This one REALLY hit me hard. I was ok until they actually started playing Eastbound and down and that's when the tears started.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

You know what's odd?

The movie trailer for Jerry Seinfeld's 2002 film, "Comedian", which arguably was the first time the whole "In a World" thing got played for comedy, didn't even star LaFontaine! It was another guy, Hal Douglas!

It's on YouTube if you don't believe me. Search "Comedian - a movie trailer for Jerry Seinfeld w/ Hal Douglas".

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

MRD

I actually own the Smokey and the Bandit soundtrack on vinyl. And I've got another CD with a collection of other songs, so I've pulled those out and enjoyed East Bound and Down and When You're Hot You're Hot and She got the Gold Mine and I got the shaft.

RIP Jerry Reed, you will be missed

I was watching a Biography of Burt Reynolds last week and was thinking about him. I thought it was strange that none of Burt's "best friends" from the 70s and 80s were interviewed.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

MRD

I had the BIGGEST crush EVER on Burt Reynolds when I was about 16. I still have a small crush on him even if he did play football for FSU.

Wonder why they didn't interview some of his older friends?

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3186930;
    The movie trailer for Jerry Seinfeld's 2002 film, "Comedian", which arguably was the first time the whole "In a World" thing got played for comedy, didn't even star LaFontaine! It was another guy, Hal Douglas
    With technology being what it is today I'm sure there are several people doing these voice overs that are being made to sound like LaFontaine. He was the best.
    Jerry Reed was quite the entertainer and will be missed.
    RIP both of you.

+ Reply to Thread