+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 345 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495135185 ... LastLast
Like Tree799Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Wow-just wow!

Bits and pieces of my childhood are slowly fading away.

I totally was a kid who sat and watched "Diff'rent Strokes" and "Facts of Life" every week. Loved that wise cracking Gary Coleman chasing after Tootie-he was a hoot!

Gary exhibited some poor behavior in the past few years. I remember he had been through a lot, not just medically, but with his parents as well. Hopefully now he has found peace at last.

I also still say "Whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis" all the time, happens to be one of my best friend's names and sometimes I can't help myself.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Poor poor guy. NOBODY deserves the life that guy had. He's far from without blame, true, because at times he willingly demeaned himself even more than others did, but he suffered for his sins, just as surely as he did for the sins of a whole lot of other people.

We should remember this about him: Click for Gary on Buck Rogers

Not the other crap.

The shame is, apparently he collapsed on the set of The Insider last month (it was a precursor to what killed him a month later it seems). A show I think we all know is totally without morals or taste of any kind. Bet your bottom dollar they're going to exploit this and show that footage from last month over and over again--delivering one final round of humiliation to a man who suffered far too much of it in his life.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

I had read the news that he fell into a coma first thing this morning and did not have a good feeling about it. May he finally have the eternal peace that eluded him for many, many years. RIP Gary.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I hope they don't show the footage. Sure, it's all over the internet, but that's a far cry from broadcasting it on national television. There is a huge "ick" factor involved with them "going there".

I think people will remember him for it all,warts and all, and that's okay. The thing is, he is such a tragic figure most people have that soft spot for him. Such a long history of illness, working his entire childhood with nothing to show for it, don't think his bitter moments surprised anyone. Just a guy that went through a lot in his 42 years on this earth.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3917523;
    I think people will remember him for it all,warts and all, and that's okay. The thing is, he is such a tragic figure most people have that soft spot for him. Such a long history of illness, working his entire childhood with nothing to show for it, don't think his bitter moments surprised anyone. Just a guy that went through a lot in his 42 years on this earth.
    He's definitely a cautionary tale for child actors.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

A sad situation. Rest in peace, Gary.

Oh lord. I think I have to scrub my brain after tuning into Entertainment Tonight now, just for a minute or two, to see what they were going to say about Gary.

In quick succession, in about a two minute long block, they teased upcoming stories on "Gary's last days" (you KNOW what's coming, right?), then teased this horror show called "Toddlers & Tiaras", which they were definitely positioning as "cute" (Mary Hart read a joke about how the girl they were following was a "diva" and was "taking down a blond"--then they cut to a brown haired little girl wearing enough makeup to cover a dozen full grown women, screaming at a blond little girl similarly masked), next there was something with a group of women wearing Wedding Dresses crawling through a muddy obstacle course, then they had about 60 seconds of a plastic surgery story about "a new kind of Hollywood liposuction". Seriously.

Excuse me while I go into my bathroom for a sec and puke. People WATCH this #^it? All I know about these shows in the past few years (twenty years ago I watched ET, but not much since) is that when Anna Nicole was in the news The Insider and ET had some mega-slimy coverage, and I've never forgotten seeing some of it. But obviously their standards have gotten even lower.
    Last edited by Krom; 05-28-2010 at 07:50 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

So sad about Gary. Another piece of my childhood gone.

Godspeed, Gary. I hope you have finally found the peace you were looking for in life.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3917614;
    Oh lord. I think I have to scrub my brain after tuning into Entertainment Tonight now, just for a minute or two, to see what they were going to say about Gary.

In quick succession, in about a two minute long block, they teased upcoming stories on "Gary's last days" (you KNOW what's coming, right?), then teased this horror show called "Toddlers & Tiaras", which they were definitely positioning as "cute" (Mary Hart read a joke about how the girl they were following was a "diva" and was "taking down a blond"--then they cut to a brown haired little girl wearing enough makeup to cover a dozen full grown women, screaming at a blond little girl similarly masked), next there was something with a group of women wearing Wedding Dresses crawling through a muddy obstacle course, then they had about 60 seconds of a plastic surgery story about "a new kind of Hollywood liposuction". Seriously.

Excuse me while I go into my bathroom for a sec and puke. People WATCH this #^it? All I know about these shows in the past few years (twenty years ago I watched ET, but not much since) is that when Anna Nicole was in the news The Insider and ET had some mega-slimy coverage, and I've never forgotten seeing some of it. But obviously their standards have gotten even lower.
    Any time I turn on ET lately, I just end up turning it off really quickly. Funny, but that show used to be considered the classy entertainment news show. Now it's the TV equivalent of the National Enquirer....only sleazier. Every commercial I see hypes some story about stars without makeup of shots of celebs with cellulite. Really classy.

I won't be watching any of the stories about Gary's death. It's like vultures picking over a carcass.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Remember him from when he was on Good Times. Then, Facts of Life.

After that it seemed he had a rough way to go. People taking advantage of him for his money or to sell stories to the tabloids. Fans bothering him when he tried to have a normal life.

I don't think he was grim all the time, though. Back in the '90s he used to go and drop in at Planet Hollywood restaurant when it was in Bev Hills (iirc). He liked to meet fans there, who were always thrilled to see him. On his own terms. Just after one of those appearances I saw him, still beaming, in his Planet Hollywood jacket. Didn't try to speak to him or catch his eye. He looked so happy. Hope he had a lot of moments like that later in life where meeting fans on his terms could bring him some smiles and warmth. Because for sure, he made a lot of other folks happy over the years. People he never even met.

His life wasn't easy. Rest in Peace, Gary Coleman.

+ Reply to Thread