+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 356 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
Like Tree867Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

MRD

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Elizabeth;3178604;
    Yes, Alicia Rhett is still alive. She is a renowned artist in Charleston S.C. Interestingly enough, in addition to her character, India, she was also Clark Gable's dialog coach for the movie, as Charlestonians have a specific way of speaking.
    OMG, they have a specific way of doing just about everything and they are quick to tell you that they are NOT like the rest of the world!

I didn't realize Olivia deHaviland was still alive. My dad used to often tell people that during WWII he had slept with Olivia de Haviland!!!!

He was flying to California to meet his ship and got to sit next to her on the plane. They both fell asleep during the flight.

I had no idea that there were still several of the cast still alive.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

It said in imdb that Alicia Rhett is the oldest surviving credited cast member from "Gone with the Wind," that she had originally tested for the part of Melanie and that that was the only film she did. She sounds like an interesting lady.

[QUOTE=myrosiedog;3178939;My dad used to often tell people that during WWII he had slept with Olivia de Haviland!!!! He was flying to California to meet his ship and got to sit next to her on the plane. They both fell asleep during the flight.[/QUOTE]

How cute is that?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I always thought Olivia was so much more beautiful than Vivian! I have no clue how they were in real life, but that was my thought when I was little.

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3179596;
    I always thought Olivia was so much more beautiful than Vivian! I have no clue how they were in real life, but that was my thought when I was little.
    I can see that, but I think the parts were cast very well. Olivia was more of a sweet beauty and Vivian was the pretty vixen.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Don LaFontaine, the voice of movie trailers, dies at 68 - The Ampersand

Don LaFontaine, the voice of movie trailers, dies at 68
    Posted: September 02, 2008, 7:35 AM by Mark Medley

You may not recognize the name Don LaFontaine but you definitely know the voice.

LaFontaine, who passed away Monday at the age of 68, was THE voice of movie trailers for almost 30 years.

The Minnesota-born LaFontaine reportedly voiced over 5,000 trailers and almost 350,000 commercials. He's responsible for the ubiquitous trailer-opening phrase "In a world..."

From his website:

Over the past 25 years, LaFontaine cemented his position as the "King of Voice-overs." Aside from his continuing work in the trailer industry, he has also been the voice of NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox and UPN, in addition to TNT, TBS and the Cartoon Network. By conservative estimates, he has voiced hundreds of thousands of television and radio spots, including commercials for Chevrolet, Pontiac, Ford, Budweiser, McDonalds, Coke, and many other corporate sponsors. At last count, he has worked on nearly 5000 films, including appearances as the in-show announcer for the Screen Actors Guild and Academy Awards. Based on contracts signed, he has the distinction of being perhaps the single busiest actor in the history of SAG.

Don LaFontaine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No way! Who is going to do the voice now? That voice is an American icon now. Wow, that's sad.
    Yup, with donuts!!

'Bandit' star Reed dies at 71 - CNN.com

'Bandit' star Reed dies at 71

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Jerry Reed, a singer who appeared in the "Smokey and the Bandit" movies, has died of complications from emphysema at age 71, his longtime booking agent said Tuesday.

Carrie Moore-Reed, who is no relation to the star, said Reed died early Monday morning.

Reed was a gifted guitarist who later became a songwriter, singer and actor.

As a singer in the 1970s and early 1980s, he had a string of hits that included "Amos Moses," "When You're Hot, You're Hot," "East Bound and Down," and "The Bird."

In the mid-1970s, he began acting in movies such as "Smokey and the Bandit" with Burt Reynolds, "Gator" "Hot Stuff" and "High-Ballin'."

Wrestling Legend and teacher Walter "Killer" Kowalski died on Sunday (I think) after suffering a massive heart attack in early August.

The night that legendary wrestler Walter "Tarzan" Kowalski became "Killer" Kowalski saw the fight that would launch his career. It was 1954 and Mr. Kowalski was fighting Yukon Eric at the Montreal Forum during a weekly match. As they slammed each other around the ring, Mr. Kowalski's shin met Yukon's ear, severing it from his head.

"I thought I missed him," Mr. Kowalski, of Malden, told the Globe in 1991, "but my shinbone grazed his cheek. His ear went flying right across the ring. All that was left was the lobe. The referee was yelling at me, saying, 'We disallowed that move,' but I was watching the blood squirting out of his head. Every time his heart would beat, more blood would squirt."

At the next week's match, fans heckled Mr. Kowalski. They threw garbage at him, calling him an animal and a killer. The name stuck.

But outside the ring, Mr. Kowalski lived a life that belied his fierce persona. He was a vegetarian, a choice that made him as famous as his nickname. He enjoyed classical music, philosophy, and photography, and followed the teachings of Jesus.

Mr. Kowalski, who for years ran a wrestling school, first in Malden and later in North Andover, died yesterday at Whidden Hospital in Everett with his wife, Theresa Ferrioli, by his side. He had suffered a massive heart attack Aug. 8 and was taken off life support Aug. 18. He was 81.

Walter 'Killer' Kowalski, wrestler and teacher; at 81 - The Boston Globe
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;3186600;
    'Bandit' star Reed dies at 71 - CNN.com

'Bandit' star Reed dies at 71

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Jerry Reed, a singer who appeared in the "Smokey and the Bandit" movies, has died of complications from emphysema at age 71, his longtime booking agent said Tuesday.

Carrie Moore-Reed, who is no relation to the star, said Reed died early Monday morning.

Reed was a gifted guitarist who later became a songwriter, singer and actor.

As a singer in the 1970s and early 1980s, he had a string of hits that included "Amos Moses," "When You're Hot, You're Hot," "East Bound and Down," and "The Bird."

In the mid-1970s, he began acting in movies such as "Smokey and the Bandit" with Burt Reynolds, "Gator" "Hot Stuff" and "High-Ballin'."

WHAT?!?!?!?!? Dang, what a shock. Rest in peace Jerry. You will be missed.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread