+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 355 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree864Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3162426;
    I'm actually surprised the article mentions his Scientology. I expected that to be softpeddled.

Still, overall he seemed like a good guy and a great loss to the world of music. I seem to recall that he's been in bad health for a while. Hopefully he was being treated with more than auditing sessions and vitamin pills.

It is indeed creepy.

But wasn't it Morgan Freeman who was in that car crash?
    It's my understanding that Hayes had a mild stroke sometime around January. It didn't paralyze anything, but it may have caused some memory and speech problems. He was receiving therapy at home.

Also heard this morning that his "chain shirt" that he would perform in around the time of Shaft was not metal, but actually plastic chains. Can you imagine the idiots that were wanting to emulate him putting on metal chain shirts and wearing themselves totally out??

Oh well...people die, but we just have to remember to be grateful for having been able to appreciate what they gave the world.

2 wonderful men who gave so very much.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3162672;
    Gone at 50 wow. I must say he looked great and I would not guess he was that old. What amazes me is that he and his wife got married that young and were able to stay together especially in the entertainment industr. A major accomplishment in today's fast paced society which emphasizes youth, money and the quick fix.
    Lol, 50 isn't that old. I'm 51 myself but no one believes me
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3162426;
    I'm actually surprised the article mentions his Scientology. I expected that to be softpeddled.
    What a sad, sad world we live in. The Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket his memorial that is being held at one of the local Presbyterian churches in Memphis.

RIP Mr. Hayes.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Just Sayin;3167061;
    What a sad, sad world we live in. The Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket his memorial that is being held at one of the local Presbyterian churches in Memphis.

RIP Mr. Hayes.
    I don't see why the Baptists would protest. The Presbyterian Church was chosen for its size, not the denomination. Sounds like it was more of a CoS social gathering then a memorial for Isaac Hayes.

FOXNews.com - Isaac Hayes' Strange Funerals - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

The Scientologists and the Memphians were certainly not an easy mesh, as the Memphis Commercial Appeal noted for several days leading up to the funerals. The Hope Presbyterian Church, a big, hulking concrete church, was chosen for its size. But the church leaders did not want a Scientologist minister leading a service there. So the memorial service, planned mostly by the Scientologists, was hosted by R&B star William Bell as a compromise.

During the service, we learned from the Rev. Alfreddie Johnson how Hayes became a Scientologist in 1992 in Los Angeles. Many others invoked the name of the religion's founder, L. Ron Hubbard, during the three-hour memorial, and the church filmed its members at the podium.

But no one bothered to sing an Isaac Hayes song or talk much about his music. Most of the offerings were about the speakers, with little light shined on the man they were honoring. The exception was a Ghanian woman named Princess Asie Oscansey, who described in lengthy detail the charitable contribution Hayes had made to her village to support an 8,000-square-foot school that uses Scientology teaching methods.

Not only were there no Hayes songs, there was little discussion of his movie career, barely a whisper about his famous “Theme from Shaft,” and not even a suggestion of his long, funny career as Chef on “South Park.”

The Scientology speakers and performers — there were seven in all — made little reference to Hayes’ 11 grown children, just to his wife of three years and their 2-year-old son. This prompted Hayes' eldest daughter, Veronica, who didn’t get to speak until nearly two and a half hours had passed, to declare, "Just to clear it up, there are 11 children." Ouch!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3169875;
    I don't see why the Baptists would protest. The Presbyterian Church was chosen for its size, not the denomination...
    it's actually not 'baptists' that are picketing ... this westboro church are the nutjobs that protest everything, claiming that god hates gays and that everytime someone dies it's because god is punishing america for tolerating gays. they even picket at military funerals ... they're complete whackos.
    Last edited by barefootdyke; 08-20-2008 at 07:44 AM.

But I notice that the Westboro church has said they are picketing every high-profile funeral lately but when it comes down to it they don't show up, or at least they don't get any publicity over it. They just want the attention. Unfortunately, they don't seem to realize that the publicity they get is not positive towards them
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

I think they believe that any mention, good or bad, is better than no mention.

www.tennessean.com Dave Matthews Band sax player LeRoi Moore dies
    LOS ANGELES -- LeRoi Moore, saxophone player for the Dave Matthews Band, died Tuesday of injuries suffered in an accident on an all-terrain vehicle in June. He was 46.

Moore died at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles, the band said on its Web site.

He was initially hospitalized in late June after the accident on his farm outside Charlottesville, Va. He had recently returned to his Los Angeles home to begin physical rehabilitation when complications forced him back into the hospital July 17.

It was not immediately clear what the complications were. A message left with Hollywood Presbyterian was not immediately returned.

Ambrosia Healy, the band's publicist, says the group's show Tuesday night in Los Angeles has not been canceled

Aw, damn. He was a great sax player, I love DMB. I wonder what the complications were?

RIP Mr. Moore.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Wow, this is just not a good year for celebrities! RIP and party with everyone else up there!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread