+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 339 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104154 ... LastLast
Like Tree722Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

I heard about Mary on the news and read about Henry Gibson in the paper. I remember his cute poems. They will be missed.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Henry Gibson....too cute....too funny!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Add actor Paul Burke, too. He had a long film and tv career. I remember him best from the original Naked City tv series, and from Dynasty, and 12 O'Clock High. He was also in the original versions of The Thomas Crown Affair and Valley of the Dolls.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I saw PP&M in concert on the Berkeley campus in 1966 or 1967. I was so into the beat/folk movement as a teenager and they were top of my list. RIP Mary - you will be long remembered.

Ahh...Henry Gibson - the best part of Laugh In and a bright light on the comedy scene. You too will be remembered fondly.

Paul Burke - a pioneer in the early dramas (black and white version) on television. His show became the foundation for the mystery and cop procedure shows to follow. Farewell to you and the others who populated my early life.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3704921;
    I saw PP&M in concert on the Berkeley campus in 1966 or 1967. I was so into the beat/folk movement as a teenager and they were top of my list. RIP Mary - you will be long remembered.

Ahh...Henry Gibson - the best part of Laugh In and a bright light on the comedy scene. You too will be remembered fondly.

Paul Burke - a pioneer in the early dramas (black and white version) on television. His show became the foundation for the mystery and cop procedure shows to follow. Farewell to you and the others who populated my early life.
    Remembered seeing them in Chicago at a convention my family was attending around the same years (also teens). I was so thrilled and excited.

Will dearly miss Henry Gibson, loved seeing him as the judge on Boston Legal. Never failed to make me laugh. RIP
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Soupy Sales has died.

DETROIT - Soupy Sales, the rubber-faced comedian whose anything-for-a-chuckle career was built on 20,000 pies to the face and 5,000 live TV appearances across a half-century of laughs, has died. He was 83.

Sales died at Thursday night at Calvary Hospice in the Bronx, New York, said his former manager and longtime friend, Dave Usher. Sales had many health problems and entered the hospice last week, Usher said.

At the peak of his fame in the 1950s and '60s, Sales was one of the best-known faces in the nation, Usher said.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

"If President Eisenhower would have walked down the street, no one would have recognized him as much as Soupy," said Usher.

At the same time, Sales retained an openness to fans that turned every restaurant meal into an endless autograph-signing session, Usher said.

"He was just good to people," said Usher, a former jazz music producer who managed Sales in the 1950s and now owns Detroit-based Marine Pollution Control.

Pie-throwing trademark
    Sales began his TV career in Cincinnati and Cleveland, then moved to Detroit, where he drew a large audience on WXYZ-TV. He moved to Los Angeles in 1961.

The comic's pie-throwing schtick became his trademark, and celebrities lined up to take one on the chin alongside Sales. During the early 1960s, stars such as Frank Sinatra, Tony Curtis and Shirley MacLaine received their just desserts side-by-side with the comedian on his television show.

"I'll probably be remembered for the pies, and that's all right," Sales said in a 1985 interview.

Sales was born Milton Supman on Jan. 8, 1926, in Franklinton, N.C., where his was the only Jewish family in town. His parents, owners of a dry-goods store, sold sheets to the Ku Klux Klan. The family later moved to Huntington, W.Va.

His greatest success came in New York with "The Soupy Sales Show" an ostensible children's show that had little to do with Captain Kangaroo and other kiddie fare. Sales' manic, improvisational style also attracted an older audience that responded to his envelope-pushing antics.

Sales, who was typically clad in a black sweater and oversized bow-tie, was once suspended for a week after telling his legion of tiny listeners to empty their mothers' purse and mail him all the pieces of green paper bearing pictures of the presidents.

The cast of "Saturday Night Live" later paid homage by asking their audience to send in their joints. His influence was also obvious in the Pee-Wee Herman character created by Paul Reubens.

Sales returned from the Navy after World War II and became a $20-a-week reporter at a West Virginia radio station. He jumped to a DJ gig, changed his name to Soupy Heinz and headed for Ohio.

Familiar television face
    His first pie to the face came in 1951, when the newly christened Soupy Sales was hosting a children's show in Cleveland. In Detroit, Sales' show garnered a national reputation as he honed his act a barrage of sketches, gags and bad puns that played in the Motor City for seven years.

After moving to Los Angeles, he eventually became a fill-in host on "The Tonight Show."

He moved to New York in 1964 and debuted "The Soupy Sales Show," with co-star puppets White Fang (the meanest dog in the United States) and Black Tooth (the nicest dog in the United States). By the time his Big Apple run ended two years later, Sales had appeared on 5,370 live television programs the most in the medium's history, he boasted. He had a pair of albums that hit the Billboard Top 10 in 1965; "Do the Mouse" sold 250,000 copies in New York alone.

Sales remained a familiar television face, first as a regular from 1968-75 on the game show "What's My Line?" and later appearing on everything from "The Mike Douglas Show" to "The Love Boat." He played himself in the 1998 movie "Holy Man," which starred Eddie Murphy.

He joined WNBC-AM as a disc jockey in 1985, a stint best remembered because Sales filled the hours between shock jocks Don Imus and Howard Stern.

Sales is survived by his wife, Trudy, and two sons, Hunt and Tony, a pair of musicians who backed David Bowie in the band Tin Machine.
    Pie-splattered comedian Soupy Sales dies - Celebrities- msnbc.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Soupy Sales was wonderful! I will miss him!

Sorry to hear about Soupy Sales. He has been out of the public eye in recent decades, but if you are in a certain age group, you never forgot him.

R.I.P. Soupy.

I just realized how busy this year has been for celebrity deaths. When I saw there was a new post on this thread I thought "Oh God, who's died now." At least Soupy had a long, full life before he passed.

Sorry to hear this.
    I didn't realize he was still alive.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread