+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 347 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100150 ... LastLast
Like Tree821Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Cronkite.

Ah Walter Cronkite, when the news was actually news.RIP
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

God Speed Mr. Cronkite. Surely tonight he is holding court w/God and the Angels, telling them "that's the way it is" on Earth.

Walter Cronkite was the best ever IMHO. He was the one our family watched.

Now there's a life worth remembering and celebrating. The days of honest journalism and he was the pinnacle of integrity. There are newcasts he did that I can still see and hear in my mind's eye. He lived to a ripe old age, but oh how he will be missed.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

All I can do is echo the previous posts regarding Mr. Cronkite. Godspeed and THANK YOU!

Growing up w/"Uncle Walter" was a joy. You always knew you could trust what he said. He wasn't after the "ratings", he was about imparting the news, usually not muddy-ing it up w/his personal views.

Oh no. I was born after Walter Cronkite's heyday, but he was still a huge part of my idea of what journalism should be. I think of him compared to who our broadcast "journalists" are, and what broadcast news means now, and it's pretty friggin depressing.

He'll be missed.

I remember Walter Cronkite being the only newsman watched in our house when I was growing up. I can only remember two times when his "opinion" crept into the actual news.
    One was his view on Viet Nam (and that was only after he had gone there and had seen what was actually going on...talked with soldiers...etc...) and the other was when he had to announce the death of President John F. Kennedy. My favorite times to listen to him were when he was commentating on the space missions. I know I just gave away my age but I really don't care. At the risk of alienating people and I truly do not mean any disrespect......why did this not get anywhere the same coverage as M>J's death?
    I know M>J's was unexpected and he was younger etc...
    RIP Mr. Cronkite. We will miss you and your level headed reporting. A true gentleman
    "Lucy...you got some splainin' to do." Ricky Ricardo

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf 5;3594637;
    I remember Walter Cronkite being the only newsman watched in our house when I was growing up. I can only remember two times when his "opinion" crept into the actual news.
    One was his view on Viet Nam (and that was only after he had gone there and had seen what was actually going on...talked with soldiers...etc...) and the other was when he had to announce the death of President John F. Kennedy. My favorite times to listen to him were when he was commentating on the space missions. I know I just gave away my age but I really don't care. At the risk of alienating people and I truly do not mean any disrespect......why did this not get anywhere the same coverage as M>J's death?
    I know M>J's was unexpected and he was younger etc...
    RIP Mr. Cronkite. We will miss you and your level headed reporting. A true gentleman

Cronkite retired in 1981 so there's a whole lot of people that never watched him, never knew he did the news and those are the same ones that did watch MJ. Us over 40's that remember Cronkite, don't put on a public spectacle especially about such a dignified man as Cronkite. But he was a great journalist. My parents switched to Tom Brokaw on NBC after Cronkite retired. They couldn't stand Dan Rather.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread