+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 351 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149 ... LastLast
Like Tree842Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Molly Sugden passed today at the age of 86.

I don't know how many of you ever watched "Are You Being Served?" but it was a good show and I loved Mrs. Slocombe. My sisters got hooked on the show from my cousin and we watched it on PBS all the time.

BBC News - Actress Molly Sugden dies at 86

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3539506;
    Molly Sugden passed today at the age of 86.

I don't know how many of you ever watched "Are You Being Served?" but it was a good show and I loved Mrs. Slocombe. My sisters got hooked on the show from my cousin and we watched it on PBS all the time.

BBC News - Actress Molly Sugden dies at 86
    I heard that earlier. I liked her in Are You Being Served. She was also in another British sitcom in the 80s or 90s...which I can't remember the name of but she played the lead character's mother. Anyway, she can join Miss Brahms again...
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

And one more ---
    Harve Presnel (Unsinkable Molly Brown, Fargo, etc)

Actor Harve Presnell dies of cancer at 75 - MSN Movies News
    Actor Harve Presnell dies of cancer at 75
    July 1, 2009, 2:16 PM EST
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Harve Presnell, whose booming baritone graced such Broadway musicals as "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" and "Annie," has died at age 75.

The actor died Tuesday of pancreatic cancer at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif., said Gregg Klein, Presnell's agent.

Although he was best known for his roles in musical theater, Presnell also is remembered as William H. Macy's father-in-law in the Coen brothers' 1996 film "Fargo."

Among his other movies were "When the Boys Meet the Girls" (1965), "The Glory Guys" (1965) and "Paint Your Wagon" (1969) as well as the TV series "The Pretender" (1997-2000).

Yet it was in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" (1960) that the rugged, 6-foot-4 Presnell was first noticed by Broadway audiences. In the Meredith Willson musical, he played lucky mining prospector "Leadville" Johnny Brown opposite Tammy Grimes' feisty Molly. Presnell repeated his role in the 1964 film version which starred Debbie Reynolds as the buoyant title character.

Presnell even played the dashing Rhett Butler in a musical version of "Gone with the Wind" (adapted by Horton Foote and with a score by Harold Rome) that was seen in London in 1972.

For a good part of his career, Presnell portrayed the wealthy, follicle-challenged Daddy Warbucks in various incarnations of "Annie." The actor was first offered the role in a tour of "Annie" and thought the title was a show business abbreviation for "Annie, Get Your Gun," the musical in which he had once played sharpshooter Frank Butler.

Then he attended "Annie" and saw a bald, older man instead of a dashing, romantic lead.

It was a big shock, he told The Associated Press in an interview in 1993: "I thought, `What's this? I'm a leading man!'"

But the reality was good for him, Presnell said, adding: "It was a question of saying, `I'm no longer Frank Butler or Rhett Butler or 'Leadville' Johnny Brown. And they were paying good money."

After Presnell did the two-year "Annie" tour (1979-81) he went into "Annie" on Broadway and was still Daddy Warbucks on closing night, Jan. 2, 1983, in New York. In 1990, he played Warbucks in "Annie 2: Miss Hannigan's Revenge," the ill-fated sequel to "Annie" that folded during its Washington tryout and never got to New York.

Another version, titled "Annie Warbucks," surfaced off-Broadway in 1993 for a four-month run with Presnell again portraying Annie's wealthy benefactor.

The actor was born George Harvey Presnell on Sept. 14, 1933, in Modesto, Calif. He went to the University of Southern California on a sports scholarship. After three weeks, the head of the music school heard him sing and offered him the same scholarship for music. He soon quit school and spent three seasons singing in Europe. And it was in Berlin that Willson, the composer of "Molly Brown," first heard him sing.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3539552;
    I heard that earlier. I liked her in Are You Being Served. She was also in another British sitcom in the 80s or 90s...which I can't remember the name of but she played the lead character's mother. Anyway, she can join Miss Brahms again...
    Oh, that show was brilliant. Loved the entire cast. I'm shocked that Wendy Richard died earlier this year, though - I watched her for years on East Enders as well.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I didn't know that Wendy Richard had died. She was wonderful on both EastEnders and the hysterical Are You Being Served? Molly Sugden was a brilliant physical comedian and she would do anything they asked of her. I think we have only three major characters left from that show: Frank Thornton/Captain Peacock, who had a small role in Gosford Park, Nicholas Smith/Mr. Rumboldt, and Trevor Bannster/Mr. Lukas. I have that show on DVD and still laugh through each viewing.

Harve Presnell gone, too. What a voice he had and how handsome he was in his younger days. I remember him fondly from The Unsinkable Molly Brown and loved his rendition of "The Call the Wind Maria" in Paint Your Wagon.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I don't know if you'd consider him a celebrity, but everyone knows his name & what he did for a living, but not his face.

Oscar Mayer - yep, the O-S-C-A-R, M-A-Y-E-R died today at 95.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Actually, he was the 3rd Oscar Mayer. The original founder of the company (Oscar Meyer I) died in 1955. This guy is the grandson who sold the company to Kraft in the late 70's.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

RIP Walter Cronkite.

MRD

Oh man, Walter Cronkite covered just about everything I remember as being history or life changing when I was growing up. He had a long life and apparantly a good one. Godspeed Mr. Cronkite. You were truly a gentleman journalist in a field where very few of those exist anymore.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

RIP Walter Cronkite - the most trusted man in America. Thank you for bringing us the news in a way we could understand it. Iconic Stature doesn't begin to describe you importance to two generations. Take your rest.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread