+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2485Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

FORT Fogey

Re: Rest In Peace.

The Sunday Morning piece on Tyrus Wong added a few things not mentioned in the obit posted here. Apparently, he lost his job at Disney for participating in a strike regarding the unfair treatment of animation artists by Disney and that, as well as racism, had a direct effect on how he was listed in the credits for Bambi. He then went on to work for Warner Brothers for decades.

He also designed Christmas cards for years, in order to provide well for his family, and when his daughters were kids, they'd sneakily rearrange the cards on store racks so that his were in the front. One design alone sold over a million copies, so there must have been a lot of people out there who had a Wong print (or reproduction of one) without realizing it.

The Sunday Morning piece included a lot of clips from a documentary that had been done on him by a Chinese-American filmmaker who'd noticed his name in the credits of Bambi while seeing it with her young daughter and thought it unusual that a Chinese name should show up on the credits for a Disney film from the 1930s. Wong comes across as being a funny, as well as talented, guy in the clips they used.

If anyone's interested, perhaps the piece will be available on CBS.com. I'm not sure they include Sunday Morning among their available shows, but they don't seem to leave much out in terms of current episodes.
    Punkin and Eastcoastmom like this.

It was a nice piece. Too bad he didn't live to see it. I loved that centipede kite!!
    Lynda

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    It was a nice piece. Too bad he didn't live to see it. I loved that centipede kite!!
    How did I forget to mention his cool kite designs? Loved that he said he tried fishing, but when he fished, he was always looking down, and he wanted to look up. Seemed to be a fitting commentary on how he lived his life in general--maybe that's why he lived to 106. He seemed to have a great attitude about just about everything and the fact that he was married for fifty plus years to a woman he spent the last fifteen years of their marriage caring for says a lot about how committed he was to those he loved and what he felt was the right thing to do (hence his hitting the picket line for Disney animators, even when it cost him his job).

And even if he didn't live to see the piece, his kids did--and he did live to see the documentary from which some of the coverage was taken. At least I thought they said the documentary was done several years ago.
    Punkin likes this.

It's definitely something I'm glad I didn't miss! I'm glad to have heard his story. I think redsoxgirl brought it to our attention originally. It's one of those uniquely American bios that enrich us all from the telling. I'm glad he got the attention, so well deserved, that eluded him in his earlier past because of racism. He seemed well satisfied by his present situation and reputation in the filming.
    Lynda

Here's a link to the CBS Sunday Morning piece on him.

Artist Tyrus Wong’s remarkable life - CBS News
    Punkin likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Did anyone watch Bright Lights on HBO last night? It was a documentary about Debbie Reynolds/Carrie Fisher, it was very touching!!!
    momrek06 likes this.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay View Post
    Did anyone watch Bright Lights on HBO last night? It was a documentary about Debbie Reynolds/Carrie Fisher, it was very touching!!!
    I thought it was FABULOUS. I cried and I laughed. It was very sad to watch knowing both ladies are now gone.

But there is one thing I truly walked away with after watching the Doc was that Debbie indeed died of a broken heart.
    AmyKay and r2maybs like this.
    KAREN

I know nothing about post mortem practices and I dare not do a Google search for fear of what I might find, but I have a question: Under what circumstances would a coroner refuse to release a person's body until after he's received the results of the toxicology report? George Michael's death was said to be "unexpected, but not suspicious" yet the coroner is refusing to release his body while test are pending, and they say it may not be until February or even March!!!! That's just crazy!!! That poor father wants to bury his son, but he has to wait for answers. I would think a coroner would preserve whatever tissue or blood samples he needs for testing, and then release his body to the care of his family so they can give him a proper funeral. They already missed the one week time frame as is customary in the Greek Orthodox religion, but February or March?!?!?!? --- I've never heard of such a thing.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

They don't know how many tests they might have to conduct to determine what killed George Michaels. There are a lot of problems with returning the body to his family too soon. For one, embalming fluid could mess with the results of further medical tests if needed,a cremation would make NO further testing possible, and chain of custody would be impossible to maintain if the body does not remain in the custody of medical examiners until the investigation is done. If something suspicious is found after the body is returned, how could the medical examiner prove that is was present immediately after death or if it was introduced later if the body is out of their custody?

A funeral can wait indefinitely. The body will be refrigerated or frozen until the examination is complete. An investigation, though, can be compromised by time so if they're going to figure out if George's death is a results of a medical condition, drug use, suicide, or foul play, they have to access to the body as long as possible.

Besides that, sometimes burial has to wait anyway for the right weather conditions. I had an online friend whose mother died in the winter and because of the snow and ice, she couldn't be buried until Spring. I never realized that was a thing because I live in the South but it makes sense when I think about it.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by JosephD View Post
    I know nothing about post mortem practices and I dare not do a Google search for fear of what I might find, but I have a question: Under what circumstances would a coroner refuse to release a person's body until after he's received the results of the toxicology report? George Michael's death was said to be "unexpected, but not suspicious" yet the coroner is refusing to release his body while test are pending, and they say it may not be until February or even March!!!! That's just crazy!!! That poor father wants to bury his son, but he has to wait for answers. I would think a coroner would preserve whatever tissue or blood samples he needs for testing, and then release his body to the care of his family so they can give him a proper funeral. They already missed the one week time frame as is customary in the Greek Orthodox religion, but February or March?!?!?!? --- I've never heard of such a thing.
    A full autopsy mutilates the body. They may be trying to avoid that in determining the cause of death if possible. There may be an insurance company or many insurance companies with skin in the game here. It is unusual to keep one that long. My best guess is that they are preserving it in case evidence of a crime can be gathered, or as I said, to avoid things like having to cut his skull open to remove and dissect his brain and stuff like that. Typically natural causes of death can be determined using less invasive means like blood work, imaging scans, etc. Since those have not lead to anything conclusive (assuming that is what they did), then they are waiting and seeing since most people would not want all their loved one's vital organs removed and kept instead of being buried with them.

+ Reply to Thread