+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 324 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Rest In Peace.

I've told my son "I'll bust your head 'til the white meat shows!" It's just so hard to take in.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

LOl..I loved his "Kings of Comedy" skit, HILARIOUS!

I was absolutely shocked when I read this. I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure it was a cruel joke.

Re: Bernie Mac, Rest In Peace.

I was so shocked by the headline on my internet page. Only 50!
    I wasn't looking for a discussion of this in the movies forum (glad the Search found it!), because what I remember most about Bernie Mac is the very excellent Bernie Mac Show on TV. That was a truly great show. I will miss his talks to "America."

This article seemed to eulogize him as a non-mainstream comic, but as an average white, middle-class, middle-aged woman, I always felt the comedy on his show was speaking right to me, so I think he was a lot more universal as a comic than that article suggests.

Wow, I'm actually at a loss for words. That is so horribly sad. RIP Mr Mac!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Re: Bernie Mac, Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3160850;
    I was so shocked by the headline on my internet page. Only 50!
    I wasn't looking for a discussion of this in the movies forum (glad the Search found it!), because what I remember most about Bernie Mac is the very excellent Bernie Mac Show on TV. That was a truly great show. I will miss his talks to "America."

This article seemed to eulogize him as a non-mainstream comic, but as an average white, middle-class, middle-aged woman, I always felt the comedy on his show was speaking right to me, so I think he was a lot more universal as a comic than that article suggests.
    Very well said. I would agree that Bernie Mac was incredibly talented at doing what comedy does best -- taking the most real and relatable moments in life, and finding ways to make people laugh and think at the same time. I really respect the way that Bernie handled his career -- he worked to earn some great opportunities, and shone in the work he did with them. But he appeared to remain grounded in the process, and recognzied that his artistic expression didn't make him any better than anyone else, and that things like family mattered far more in life that stardom. I think the void that will be left by his no longer being with us will definitely be felt for a long time.

I was watching the Olympics on MSNBC, and they had a short little newsbreak in which they reported about Bernie Mac's passing. I was totally in shock and my jaw was dropped for literally more than a minute. This is definitely hard news to take.

R.I.P. Bernie.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Attachment 25036

It's been on the news up here. So very sad. He was so young and talented.

Mac's last film is believed to be Soul Men, with Samuel L. Jackson, slated to be released later this year.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Bernie Mac died today. Sorry I cannot post a link. He was only 50 years old. What sad news. He was a brilliant comedian, and a wise, wise man. His TV show was one of the funniest, ever. The Hollywood community is going to come out in droves for his final farewell, so beloved was he. RIP Berney.
    Last edited by lopevian; 08-09-2008 at 11:43 PM.

I wasn't sure to put this here or in the music news. We've lost another.

Soul legend Isaac Hayes dies - CNN.com

Soul legend Isaac Hayes dies

(CNN) -- Soul singer and arranger Isaac Hayes, who won Grammy awards and an Oscar for the theme from the 1971 action film "Shaft," has died, sheriff's officials in Memphis, Tennessee, reported Sunday.

Relatives found Hayes, 65, unconscious in his home next to a still-running treadmill, said Steve Schular, a spokesman for the Shelby County Sheriff's Department.

Paramedics attempted to revive him and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 2 p.m., the sheriff's department said.

No foul play is suspected, the agency said in a written statement.

Hayes was a longtime songwriter and arranger for Stax Records in Memphis, playing in the studio's backup band and crafting tunes for artists such as Otis Redding and Sam and Dave in the 1960s.

He released his first solo album in 1967.

In 1971, the theme from "Shaft" became a pop hit and won an Academy Award for best original theme song. The song and the movie score also won Grammy awards for best original score and movie theme.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

+ Reply to Thread