+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 339 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989139 ... LastLast
Like Tree719Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Re: Rest In Peace.

Although David Carradine died a horrible death - is it our business to know all the details? Whatever happened to a person's dignity? This stuff has gotten way out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3507509;
    Although David Carradine died a horrible death - is it our business to know all the details? Whatever happened to a person's dignity? This stuff has gotten way out of control.
    My sentiments exactly.
    Somewhere along the line, the news turned into a bunch of sleazy paparazzi, intent on providing their viewership with way more information than was ever necessary.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Tis the age of the internet.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3507509;
    The problem is there are too many people who actually do think they have the right to know every little detail of a celebrities life and will pay money to get access to this information, whether true or not. Until this changes stories like this and rags like the Enquirer will be there to capitalize on it.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I agree with the sentiment that we have no right to know all the details, however, I will say that IF he died of auto erotic asphyxiation perhaps it is valuable that it become known. Frankly, I never got the idea that David Carradine cared two hoots what people thought of him, he was an original and concerned with acting. This is based on my casual knowledge of him for over 30 years in the media. The auto erotic asphyxiation thing just absolutely creeps me out that people do this and somehow don't realize that they could actually DIE from it. So, I'm just saying that just imo, this offsets the privacy issue in this case.
    Again, I couldn't agree more that the invasiveness of the paps, fed by an ever more voracious public appetite for details of celebs lives, is insanity. THIS however, is hardly the worst example of such. Now, absent the auto-erotic issue we sure didn't need to know how he died.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3515807;
    I agree with the sentiment that we have no right to know all the details, however, I will say that IF he died of auto erotic asphyxiation perhaps it is valuable that it become known. Frankly, I never got the idea that David Carradine cared two hoots what people thought of him, he was an original and concerned with acting. This is based on my casual knowledge of him for over 30 years in the media. The auto erotic asphyxiation thing just absolutely creeps me out that people do this and somehow don't realize that they could actually DIE from it. So, I'm just saying that just imo, this offsets the privacy issue in this case.
    Again, I couldn't agree more that the invasiveness of the paps, fed by an ever more voracious public appetite for details of celebs lives, is insanity. THIS however, is hardly the worst example of such. Now, absent the auto-erotic issue we sure didn't need to know how he died.
    I understand what you are saying - and I agree that putting the information out there may be appropriate. Education isn't a bad thing. I do believe in this case too many of the sordid details have been put out there - and people have gone overboard with them. The manner of his death is one thing, but releasing the graphic details to the public is another. Some details should remain private and dignified.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3516197;
    I understand what you are saying - and I agree that putting the information out there may be appropriate. Education isn't a bad thing. I do believe in this case too many of the sordid details have been put out there - and people have gone overboard with them. The manner of his death is one thing, but releasing the graphic details to the public is another. Some details should remain private and dignified.
    I don't disagree with you and I suppose that there could have been an announcement that it was believe that auto-asphyxiation for erotic reasons took place. DC was pretty outrageous and it's not surprising that he died in an outrageous way, but you're right we don't need to hear all about it. This is a general problem with our media and freedom of the press is when to cut off the details. I haven't heard anything lately about this, but I assume that at some point an official cause of death will be released. Just because I never had much respect for this individual, other than talent as an actor, does not mean that he shouldn't be entitled to some privacy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3390453;
    Sometimes a tragic situation is the catalyst to bringing information to people that might not otherwise get it.
    <snip for space>
    The information needs to get to the public and if it takes a high profile death to do it, then that person didn't die in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3493957;
    An actor or actress has a job just like anyone else. Yes, it's more public than some of us, but it's still a job and when they are NOT on the job, they deserve just as much private life as the rest of us have when we leave work.
    Seems that it can be hard as to which way to lean. At what point do we "need to know" what and how did it happen?
    I don't like that local stations tried to describe what and how DC died. I would hate that someone got intrigued and decided to try it the same results. But then again it needs to be out there that this is DEADLY.
    Thus your "if it takes a high profile death to do it" makes sense.
    BUT your post that they are entitled to their privacy also rings true.

It's just been reported that Ed McMahon has died. May he rest in peace.

Ed McMahon dies at 86 - CNN.com

This one brought tears to my eyes. Rest in Peace, Ed. You will definitely be missed.

+ Reply to Thread