+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree861Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Oh no.

RIP Horshack.
    I didnt hear the first time around..
    Punkin, momrek06, Coco46 and 1 others like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I didnt hear the first time around..
    Me either. I never heard about the 2012 reportings. Oh my.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Robin's death brings to mind something I haven't really thought of a lot. It seems that there have been a number of well known people lately that have admitted to having Clinical Depression. Some, unfortunately, have taken their own lives.

Seeing that I have had no contact with this condition, fortunately, it's made me wonder. Is there something that causes this? Either medical or having something to do with things that may have happened in their lives or upbringing? Is it hereditary? Or at least being more prone toward it? Are there various degrees of it or is it one of those things that are clear cut as in you have it or you don't & it's the same in everyone who has it?

I don't at all mean to be disrespectful toward those who have dealt with or are dealing with it, either yourselves or loved ones. But I just don't know.
    In many cases, there is a hereditary component that may or may not manifest depending on whether or not it is triggered. Triggers can be both events and environment. In people for whom it's not hereditary, a difficult situation can still trigger it, but that's usually more of a short-term situational depression. Whatever its cause, the brain chemistry is affected once it's there (and beforehand when it's hereditary). Once this chemistry is altered, if it goes untreated for a significant amount of time, the chemical changes can become more entrenched and difficult to treat, so it's important to deal with it sooner rather than later.

Depression that is situational (and doesn't have a strong hereditary component) may be intense but will likely pass with treatment. But for those who have a brain chemistry that is disposed toward it, it may always be around in one degree or another, even with treatment. As for the question of whether or not it's the same in everyone. In my experience, it's not always the same in me, so I doubt very much it's the same in everyone. Much like with a chronic disease like diabetes, people can have differing degrees and types. Having lived with it myself and seen it in others, I would say that there's a lot of variation in the depth, breadth, and intensity of experience.

If you're interested in more than just a surface understanding, a really good book on the subject is Noonday Demon by Andrew Solomon, a journalist who himself lives with depression.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I was just at the grocery store and the checkout line is already full of Robin Williams tell-all rags. *sigh*
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sounds pretty "To Be Expected" to me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yeah, but I don't have to like it.
    Punkin, JulieAnn and Coco46 like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Yeah, but I don't have to like it.
    I don't like it either.
    He brought so much joy to the world.
    I want him to R.I.P.
    Coco46 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I don't like it either.
    He brought so much joy to the world.
    I want him to R.I.P.
    I agree completely.
    When I see people trashing those in the public eye by bringing up & exaggerating every blip in their lives, I think that if it was me they were trying to trash by bringing up every mistake & bad judgment I've made, they'd probably have a field day. And all in all, I've lead a pretty bland & straight laced life.

It's just that in living our lives we've all made mistakes & done some dumb things. With the exaggerations and amplifications of the tabloids, they could have made Mother Theresa look bad.

I'm not going to bother with that carp about Robin. I choose to remember him for the joy he brought people, both on screen & off. The rest is immaterial.
    Florimel, ness, cmurfi and 2 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I don't know how many people will remember him, but I do. Don Pardo, long time announcer for Saturday Night Life and more than a few tv game shows, has died at the age of 96. The man had an amazing and memorable voice and a lifetime contract with NBC. He retired from NBC in 2004 but continued to do the SNL introductions from him home.
    Punkin, ness, Arielflies and 1 others like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Some of the tributes that past and current SNL cast members wrote for Don were very very touching. Most of them said that his voice was truly the mark that you'd made it. Just think of how many people in comedy would define their ultimate dream as being hearing Don Pardo say their name. I also thought it was striking that Lorne Michaels said he had absolutely no idea what they'd do now. He was quoted as saying he'd thought about it many times, but never had an answer. For a man who always has a general idea of the next step for every aspect of SNL, that shows what an important element of the show he really was.
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread