+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree821Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

RIP Jim - one of my favorite actors of all time. Murphy's Romance & Victor Victoria are amongst my favorite movies of all time as well. You will be missed
    MiaT2, cmurfi and Fanny Mare like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    RIP Jim - one of my favorite actors of all time. Murphy's Romance & Victor Victoria are amongst my favorite movies of all time as well. You will be missed
    They did a montage of all his movies over the weekend, some of which I had forgotten. But that distinct voice? never will I forget that
    jucamer likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I almost never watch commercials anymore, but I never forgot the series of Polaroid commercials he and Mariette Hartley did together way back when. Anyone else recall those? They are viewable online for those who are interested.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I almost never watch commercials anymore, but I never forgot the series of Polaroid commercials he and Mariette Hartley did together way back when. Anyone else recall those? They are viewable online for those who are interested.
    I used to love those. I remember that everyone thought they were married in real life! I really liked him. He made me weep in The Notebook!
    ness, JulieAnn and jucamer like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I loved and remember those, too!

And yep, people DID think Jim and Mariette were married in real life, because of those commercials!!!!!!!!!!!

They were SO much fun!
    Florimel, Bucky and jucamer like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

They were so natural in those commercials that it was easy for viewers to imagine they were really married. I knew they weren't but I remember well how many people believed it. Two excellent actors doing very good work.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    They were so natural in those commercials that it was easy for viewers to imagine they were really married. I knew they weren't but I remember well how many people believed it. Two excellent actors doing very good work.
    I thought they were married, they were so natural..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I suppose this is a rather specific sort of celebrity, but his death was covered by the New York Times and People--Tom Tierney, premiere designer of paper dolls, died July 12 at 85 of lung cancer (I don't think this has been reported here yet). His paper dolls were/are famous for their detailed depiction of various eras and celebrities. He even did a Pope John Paul II paper doll book, which someone presented to the Pope for his blessing. Apparently his Holiness paged through it, was quite amused, and asked where he could order a copy for himself--and then proceeded to order a dozen from Dover Publishing, for which Tierney was designing a new book of paper dolls at the rate of about one a month (Dover did, however, ask that the Pope not be shown in his underwear, as paper dolls often are, so that they may be dressed in the outfits themselves--Tierney agreed that wouldn't be respectful).

Most of his books remain in print and can be ordered from Dover Publications. They really are beautifully done. I have several. He went to great pains to get things historically/cinematically correct and included information in the books about the clothing/eras/personalities, because he thought it was a way to teach history/biography in an unusual venue.
    Baby's Breath and AlwaysVeg like this.

"To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    This is shocking! What a talented young man. Here's a clip from his time on AI. This is so very sad.

American Idol - Micheal Johns - Dream On - YouTube

+ Reply to Thread