+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree864Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I fell in love with him in The Talented Mr. Ripley. Matt Damon had the lead, but Philip was awesome as the rich, bratty kid.
    Me too Debb, I loved him that movie. ( sigh)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I found out on twitter and I agree it is very sad. I think sometimes fame really does a number on people. Sad
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm equally surprised. As famous as he had become, he was still able to lose himself into his characters. We didn't see PSH, we saw the character he was portraying. You can't say that about many actors once the become famous.

What is just so beyond my comprehension is that someone who has achieved success & even fame and is talented, can waste & throw their life away on drugs. We see so much of this in the entertainment industry. They've achieved what so many work so hard to even try to accomplish.
    These aren't stupid people. They know what they're doing & what they can & probably will do to themselves.

They have the money, time & ability to do a multitude of things we'd all love to have the opportunity to be able to do. Exotic & entertaining vacations, luxuries to enable a beautiful life, expensive big sports events (thinking of the Superbowl) the ability & money to help others, and so much more. But yet instead they do something ugly, damaging & negative.

While I appreciate the talent these people have brought the large & small screens, I also feel disgust toward them for the fact that they've brought on this waste themselves.
    It's not like they were killed in a car wreck or other accident, where a momentary lapse of basic carefulness or just dumb luck took their lives. They chose to do this to themselves knowing what they were doing the whole time.

I feel bad for those who loved them & those they left behind, both personally & professionally. But I have no pity for someone who choses this path of their own free will, knowing full well what's at the end of the path. It's a totally uncaring & selfish choice.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I've personally seen & felt the effects & lifelong ramifications of drug addiction & suicide. I feel a bitterness toward both.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I'm equally surprised. As famous as he had become, he was still able to lose himself into his characters. We didn't see PSH, we saw the character he was portraying. You can't say that about many actors once the become famous.

What is just so beyond my comprehension is that someone who has achieved success & even fame and is talented, can waste & throw their life away on drugs. We see so much of this in the entertainment industry. They've achieved what so many work so hard to even try to accomplish.
    These aren't stupid people. They know what they're doing & what they can & probably will do to themselves.

They have the money, time & ability to do a multitude of things we'd all love to have the opportunity to be able to do. Exotic & entertaining vacations, luxuries to enable a beautiful life, expensive big sports events (thinking of the Superbowl) the ability & money to help others, and so much more. But yet instead they do something ugly, damaging & negative.

While I appreciate the talent these people have brought the large & small screens, I also feel disgust toward them for the fact that they've brought on this waste themselves.
    It's not like they were killed in a car wreck or other accident, where a momentary lapse of basic carefulness or just dumb luck took their lives. They chose to do this to themselves knowing what they were doing the whole time.

I feel bad for those who loved them & those they left behind, both personally & professionally. But I have no pity for someone who choses this path of their own free will, knowing full well what's at the end of the path. It's a totally uncaring & selfish choice.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I've personally seen & felt the effects & lifelong ramifications of drug addiction & suicide. I feel a bitterness toward both.
    So have I. Recently. And very up close. That's why I feel so much sympathy for addicts and for their families. I don't understand the disgust. Addiction is a disease. Those of us who aren't addicts can't possibly understand what it feels like to be in the throes of addiction and how hard it is to stop. Those of us who have loved addicts can understand the helpless feeling of watching someone we love KNOW they're killing themselves, but be completely incapable of stopping.

I'd be curious to see the statistics about addicts. My suspicion is that, for every addict that stays clean, there are MANY more who never can. A huge number of people just aren't able to quit. It doesn't mean they just didn't make the choice the stop. It's more complicated than that.

I feel pity for anyone who is so addicted that they can't stop doing something that they know will kill them. It's awful. PSH had three children, who I'm sure he didn't want to leave. That's the horror of addiction. Someone can have everything to live for an KNOW they're playing with fire, but they still can't quit.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I must have been living in a bubble b/c I had no idea he had struggled with drug addiction in the past. But then again, I am not the type to read up about celebrities. While very talented, he was just a man, a man who put his pants on one leg at a time, and like many people struggled with personal demons. I've never understood celebrity cult status, but still it's a damn shame for his family and for those who admired his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I must have been living in a bubble b/c I had no idea he had struggled with drug addiction in the past. But then again, I am not the type to read up about celebrities. While very talented, he was just a man, a man who put his pants on one leg at a time, and like many people struggled with personal demons. I've never understood celebrity cult status, but still it's a damn shame for his family and for those who admired his work.
    He was, but at the same time he entertained us/me. So in that respect he will be missed-
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    He was, but at the same time he entertained us/me. So in that respect he will be missed-
    Oh I agree, Fanny, and count myself among those who admired his work. I've just never understood the how or why actors, athletes, etc are so revered in our culture. It is a shame yes, he was very talented, but I don't find his death any more horrifying than finding out the older 25 year old brother of my son's classmate, died last week of a heroin overdose.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

It is so jarring to open up a page on the internet and find out another talented actor has died. I have also seen addiction up close and personal and it's never pretty. It always makes me wonder when actors succumb to this disease if it is their ability to dig down deep into their own psyches and produce such masterful work, is it the drugs they use to get there or is drug use a tool to enable them to drown out the thoughts and feelings they have because they are freaked out about how easy it was to go to those dark places? I'm not explaining this well, but I can't find the correct words.

I'm going to watch the Capote movie in honor of Mr. Hoffman. RIP.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

FORT Fogey

With regard to PSH's death: the article I read on line included a photo of the body bag being hauled out to the ambulance. Really, what is the point of something like that? It adds nothing to the article, except, perhaps, to drive home the point that he's dead, but honestly, it must be very painful for anyone who knew and loved him to see something like that.

Not exactly a celebrity death, but I also just read that figure skater Brian Boitano's mother has passed away. She had Alzheimer's. He also lost his father in December 2013, so it's been a rough year or so for Brian. He's supposed to be part of the official U.S. delegation to the Winter Olympics in Sochi, but I don't know if he'll still go or not.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm guessing he is under contract.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread