+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 351 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777127 ... LastLast
Like Tree842Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3390027;
    I agree that the knowledge of HPV and the risks is very important to get out there. Knowledge about the value of the vaccine is also crucial. But I'm not sure that placing assumptions about a woman who has just passed away is the best way to do that. It's something that seems to happen quite bit -- a high profile death occurs, and an agenda is attached to that death. With Natasha Richardson, it was the need to wear helmets when skiing (despite several neurologists concedeing that in her case, a helmet would probably not have saved her). With Jade, it's the spread of STDs. In other cases, its been autism awareness with Jett Travolta, and many other things. Knowledge is power is not just a school house rock slogan -- it's very very true. But is it so true that its worth inserting possible lessons to be learned so early in the grief process for a real human being? In both of these cases (and others where the same thing has happened) there are real people dealing with real grief. If the facts support the agenda and the family is comfortable with it, in due time, they'll likely get involved and speak out about it. Speaking of Natasha Richardson, she did exactly that getting involved with AMFAR after her father died of AIDs. But I think the timing matters here. And knowing the exact facts of the case that lessons learned are being projected on to are needed too. To me, that aids the "resting in peace" process.
    You said it better than I could have.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

With people having unprotected sex EVERYDAY, and skiing EVERYDAY, I don't think an opportunity should be missed to warn somebody...anybody...who may be open to receiving a very, potentially life-saving message. About the STD issue, they are wanting to vaccinate the young ladies at a fairly early age even, possibly, as young as 9 years old. They are also now starting to look at vaccinating boys, too,

Unfortunately, it's a reality of our lives. Death does not take a holiday.

HPV Vaccine Information For Young Women
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

While it is extremely sad and heartbreaking about both Jade and Natasha, I would think that bringing subject to light that might help others would be one of the positives that comes out of a death. I had a friend that died of mouth cancer and he wanted us to spread the word that chewing tobacco and snuff are incredibly dangerous.

Sometimes a tragic situation is the catalyst to bringing information to people that might not otherwise get it.

When Betty Ford had breast cancer in the 70's, NO ONE talked about that disease. It was a woman's secret problem. She brought it out in the open and it informed generations of women.

Now cervical cancer is on the rise and no matter how Jade ultimately contracted it, it is a good way to encourage women to get annual pap smears from an early age. But it is also a fact that the majority of cervical cancers today are brought about by STD's. The information needs to get to the public and if it takes a high profile death to do it, then that person didn't die in vain.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3390453;
    While it is extremely sad and heartbreaking about both Jade and Natasha, I would think that bringing subject to light that might help others would be one of the positives that comes out of a death. I had a friend that died of mouth cancer and he wanted us to spread the word that chewing tobacco and snuff are incredibly dangerous.

Sometimes a tragic situation is the catalyst to bringing information to people that might not otherwise get it.

When Betty Ford had breast cancer in the 70's, NO ONE talked about that disease. It was a woman's secret problem. She brought it out in the open and it informed generations of women.

Now cervical cancer is on the rise and no matter how Jade ultimately contracted it, it is a good way to encourage women to get annual pap smears from an early age. But it is also a fact that the majority of cervical cancers today are brought about by STD's. The information needs to get to the public and if it takes a high profile death to do it, then that person didn't die in vain.
    To me, the big difference between the examples of your friend and Betty Ford which you cited, and the examples which I mentioned is that in your examples, it was the victim who made the choice / request to be used as an example. The survivors of Natasha, Jade, and Jett have not made that request (yet) on their behalf. As I said, I don't have a problem with using tragedy as a catalyst for lessons and growth. But I do think that either the victims, or their survivors when that is the case, have a right to a say in being used. It is when outsiders are making the choice and pulling them in that I get uncomfortable.

Reality TV star Jade Goody loses cancer fight - CNN.com

"Her family can be extremely proud of the work she has done to raise awareness of cervical cancer which will benefit thousands of women across the U.K. Every death from cancer is a tragedy and my thoughts go out to her two sons, husband and family at this time," Brown said in a statement.

The British media has reported a rise in the number of screenings for cervical cancer since Goody announced she had the disease, a phenomenon some have dubbed the "Jade Goody effect."

Goody's death marks the tragic end to a very modern tale. Images of her shrinking frame and bald head have dominated the pages of British media since she announced she had just weeks to live.

However, she has openly courted the attention since bursting into the spotlight courtesy of the British version of "Big Brother" in 2002.

"I think they've (she and the media) exploited each other. Both have benefited. In Jade's own words, she's loved the last 7 years. They've been wonderful. All the people's she's met, all the things she's done."
    I think you can rest easy, Veruka. Jane was a very public figure since her stint on Big Brother, and she was very open about her illness.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3390974;
    Reality TV star Jade Goody loses cancer fight - CNN.com

I think you can rest easy, Veruka. Jane was a very public figure since her stint on Big Brother, and she was very open about her illness.
    Speaking for myself, the problem wasn't the cancer it was bringing STD's into the mix even though we don't know that is what caused her cancer.

I see what you mean about leaving HPV out of the mix even though its a very common virus, there is still a bit of stigma attached to having it. And as has been pointed out, I dont think she or her family have publicly tied it to her cervical cancer.

I had not heard of Jade before this thread, but I think the renewed awareness it seems she brought about regarding the importance of annual exams is a wonderful thing - her family should be proud of that. Reading about her story really upset me. Personally, an exam in my early 20s returned abnormal results, and the pre-cancer cells in my cervix were removed by a LEEP procedure. That was almost twenty years ago, and I imagine the diagnostic tests and treatments have only improved over time. I realize she lives in a different country with different healthcare and we all have different genetic predispositions and personal risk factors but annual exams can really be a lifesaver in many instances. I dont know what caused her cancer to occur or progress like it did, but I think Jade was brave to use herself as an example to raise awareness and bring about change in how young women can take care of themselves.
    remember to play

Singer 'England Dan' Seals dies at 61
    Dan Seals, who was England Dan in the pop duo England Dan and John Ford Coley and later had a successful country career, has died of complications from cancer. He was 61.

Longtime manager Tony Gottlieb said Seals, diagnosed with lymphoma two years ago, died Wednesday night at his daughter's home in Nashville.
    Advertisement

With England Dan and John Ford Coley, Seals had hits including "I'd Really Like to See You Tonight" and "Nights Are Forever," both in 1976. His country hits in the '80s and '90s included "Bop," ''You Still Move Me," ''Love on Arrival," and a duet with Marie Osmond, "Meet Me in Montana."

"I've loved to play and sing from the moment I knew what it was," he told The Associated Press in 1992.

Seals leaves behind wife Andi; children Jimmy, Jeremy, Holley and Jesse; brothers Jimmy (Seals & Crofts) and Eddie (Eddie & Joe) and sister Renee; and five grandchildren.

"He was very positive," said Gottlieb, Seals' manager for about 30 years. "He participated in several clinical trials to assist with research on this type of lymphoma."

Gottlieb said a major misconception about Seals is that he was a pop singer who came to country music. In reality, he said, Seals grew up singing country music and crossed into pop.

"He was raised in a very rural part of West Texas. His father was an amateur country singer, and he used to play with his dad. They were Hank Williams, Grand Ole Opry people. He was much more of a country singer than a pop singer."

Seals' older brother, Jimmy, was the Seals in Seals & Crofts, who recorded the hits "Summer Breeze" and "Diamond Girl" in the 1970s.

Until Dan Seals got sick, the brothers were working as a duo, Seals & Seals. They performed some shows and were recording an album but never finished it. The songs they did complete, about eight in all, will be released.

"In the last two years he only did like three shows," Gottlieb said. "He just didn't have the energy."

Seals, whose father was a pipefitter, was born in McCamey, Texas, and grew up in Iraan, Texas, and Dallas.

His well-crafted songs tended to be insightful and graphic with lofty themes. In 1989, his music video for the song "Rage On" addressed a topic rare in country music: an interracial relationship. It showed angry youths smashing the windows of the car of a young man dating a girl of a different race. One boy hurled a beer bottle at the girl's father. The song itself was about small town values.

"When we record songs, we take chances," Seals said at the time. "We feel we are on the cutting edge of what we can do."
    I certainly enjoyed his music back in the day.

He was one of my faves.

Oh how sad...I loved England Dan and John Ford Coley. As a teenager I used to play "I'd Really Like to See You Tonight" everytime I fell in love. Needless to say, it was played a lot.

+ Reply to Thread