+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 351 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree842Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

I also think more people will seriously consider wearing helmets.....for biking, skiing, snowboarding, etc. How many of us ever wore bike helmets as kids? Or even seatbelts? Now it is state law that kids 14 and under wear helmets when biking, and everyone needs to be strapped in when in a car.

And more people will also head to the ER when they hit their head. One of the reports I read said that had she gone to the hospital immediately, she might have been saved.

So while it is a tragedy that this happened, I think more lives will be saved due to more people wearing helmets and seeking immediate treatment should they strike their head.
    Last edited by MamaC; 03-20-2009 at 12:45 AM.

I, too, am greatly saddened by Natasha's death. My daughter and I watched Nell last night in memorium. That's the movie (with Jodi Foster) where she fell in love with Liam. It was bittersweet watching the chemistry between them in light of their current trajedy. Her poor sons.
    Count your blessings!

It was inevitable, but it doesn't make it any more sad.
    LONDON Jade Goody, a dental assistant turned reality-TV star whose whirlwind journey from poverty to celebrity to tragedy became a national soap opera in Britain, died of cervical cancer Sunday at the age of 27.

Goody gained fame at 21 in 2002 when she joined the reality television show "Big Brother," in which contestants live together for weeks and are constantly filmed. Loud and brash, she became a highly divisive star initially mocked as an ignorant slob, then celebrated as a forthright everywoman by a hungry tabloid press.

It was a pattern of praise and condemnation that followed Goody for the rest of her life. She became a national touchstone who sparked debate about race, class and celebrity.

During filming of a celebrity version of "Big Brother," in the summer of 2008, Goody received a diagnosis of cervical cancer by telephone from a doctor in Britain. The camera captured the deeply personal moment, which was shown repeatedly on TV.

The progress of her illness was chronicled in detail in the tabloid press and weekly magazines, to the unease of many. She underwent surgery and chemotherapy in the public eye filming part of the experience for another television series

Bald and frail, Goody married fiancee Jack Tweed last month in an elaborate event staged at an elegant countryside hotel outside London. Good, who reportedly sold the photos for more than $1 million, defended being paid for interviews and photo shoots.

"People will say I'm doing this for money," she said. "And they're right, I am. But not to buy flash cars or big houses it's for my sons' future if I'm not here. I don't want my kids to have the same miserable, drug-blighted, poverty-stricken childhood I did."

Goody's publicist said last month that the cancer had spread to her liver, bowel and groin.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Sunday that Goody used her fame to help her two young sons and many women she did not know.

"She was a courageous woman both in life and death and the whole country have admired her determination to provide a bright future for her children," Brown. "She will be remembered fondly by all who knew her and her family can be extremely proud of the work she has done to raise awareness of cervical cancer."

Though many praised Goody in recent months for the way in which she handled her illness, she was mocked in the press during her stint on "Big Brother" for her weight, her big mouth and her apparent lack of general knowledge. She branded the English region of East Anglia "East Angular," and asked whether it was abroad.

She didn't win the show, but she earned millions through television and magazine appearances, an autobiography, a perfume and a series of exercise videos.

Goody was labeled a racist bully for her treatment of another contestant, Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty, while filming "Celebrity Big Brother." Goody bad-mouthed Shetty's cooking of Indian food, mocked her accent and referred to her as "Shilpa Poppadom." While complaints against the show skyrocketed, so did ratings.

Goody's treatment of Shetty sparked anger in India and Britain even becoming the topic of debate during a House of Commons question-and-answer session with then Prime Minister Tony Blair. A major sponsor suspended its advertising deal with "Celebrity Big Brother," and a chain of perfume shops pulled a Goody-endorsed fragrance, ironically named "Shh..."

After television viewers voted to evict Goody from the show, Goody herself of mixed race insisted she wasn't a racist. "I argue like that with everybody. It wasn't just because of the color of her skin that I was that aggressive," she said during an interview on Britain's GMTV.

After the eviction, the Indian Tourism Office invited Goody to travel to the country. She did, visiting charity projects and later agreeing to appear on an Indian version of the show.

"The people of India have only seen a small part of me and I'd like to show them that there is more to me," Goody said. "I'm a mother of two, a businesswoman. I can't be all that bad."

Goody had an unhappy childhood in a poor south London neighborhood. Her father was a heroin addict who served jail time for robbery and died in 2005, her mother a former crack addict who lost the use of an arm in a motorcycle accident.

She worked as a dental nurse before her rise to fame.

Goody is survived by Tweed and her two sons Bobby and Freddie, with an ex-boyfriend, television presenter Jeff Brazier. She also is survived by her mother, Jackiey Budden.

Budden told reporters Sunday: "Family and friends would like privacy at last."
    yahoo news
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Something about dying from an STD really catches your attention, doesn't it. This poor woman had some crazy woman standing over her hospital bed with a butcher knife, just a couple of weeks ago. I swear, you just never know what kind of hand life is going to deal you.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3389480;
    Something about dying from an STD really catches your attention, doesn't it. This poor woman had some crazy woman standing over her hospital bed with a butcher knife, just a couple of weeks ago. I swear, you just never know what kind of hand life is going to deal you.
    The article said Cervical Cancer....where are you getting she died from an STD?

May she rest in peace. I'm only slightly familiar with her story and just yesterday saw a news clip about the media circus surrounding her death. It was so sad to see someone so young, with such young children, dying the way that she was. The only bright point in this is that it seems to have inspired a lot of young women to ask their doctors to check for early signs of cervical cancer, and it has inspired the British gov't to consider paying for tests for women at a younger age.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3389575;
    The article said Cervical Cancer....where are you getting she died from an STD?
    Cervical Cancer is caused from STD's. Most frequently the HPV virus.

There was as very famous study done using Nuns that went on for many, many, many years. The nuns who had never had sex, never developed cervical cancer. Since that study was done, other studies have linked cervical cancer to STD's.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I understand that HPV causes cervical cancer, but I also understand that it isn't always the only cause. What I am saying is we don't know for sure why she had cancer, only that she did. Whay bring STD's into it?

MRD

At her young age, the chances are very good that she developed cervical cancer from an STD. Maybe by making this information available, it will help others to know that unprotected sex can lead to cervical cancer.
    When I worked for the OB/GYN, we were doing cervical biopsies on 16 year olds because they had gotten HPV and their paps came back abnormal.
    The average age for cervical cancer has dropped dramatically in the last decade. Before, most women that developed cervical cancer did not do so until they were in their 30's, 40's, 50's. Now it's being seen in teenagers and in 20 somethings. It's a growing part of the population and education needs to be put out there about it.

Even if you have only had one sexual partner, but that man has had many sexual partners, that raises your risk immensely. Not all of the dozens of types of HPV have symptoms, so a woman could have HPV and not even know it.

This is why yearly paps are also reccomended.

It's tragic that she passed away and my heart goes out to her family.

But this can be a learning experience to everyone. Get a yearly pap smear and if you are having sex, use protection because it can save your life.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

I agree that the knowledge of HPV and the risks is very important to get out there. Knowledge about the value of the vaccine is also crucial. But I'm not sure that placing assumptions about a woman who has just passed away is the best way to do that. It's something that seems to happen quite bit -- a high profile death occurs, and an agenda is attached to that death. With Natasha Richardson, it was the need to wear helmets when skiing (despite several neurologists concedeing that in her case, a helmet would probably not have saved her). With Jade, it's the spread of STDs. In other cases, its been autism awareness with Jett Travolta, and many other things. Knowledge is power is not just a school house rock slogan -- it's very very true. But is it so true that its worth inserting possible lessons to be learned so early in the grief process for a real human being? In both of these cases (and others where the same thing has happened) there are real people dealing with real grief. If the facts support the agenda and the family is comfortable with it, in due time, they'll likely get involved and speak out about it. Speaking of Natasha Richardson, she did exactly that getting involved with AMFAR after her father died of AIDs. But I think the timing matters here. And knowing the exact facts of the case that lessons learned are being projected on to are needed too. To me, that aids the "resting in peace" process.

+ Reply to Thread