+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree821Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

So many of his younger fans are taking this really hard. I was never a Glee fan, but he was born here, and then moved to BC. Nobody this loved should die alone in some hotel room
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    So many of his younger fans are taking this really hard. I was never a Glee fan, but he was born here, and then moved to BC. Nobody this loved should die alone in some hotel room
    Those 2 stories are so sad. Talia was the little girl who was giving beauty, make-up and grooming tips to kids with cancer ... only 13.

I never became a Glee fan but did watch the Glee Project ... and poor Cory, said he had been dooing drugs since he was 13 ... and reaches the other side of the rainbow at 31. 13 to 31

For some reason they seem tied together. I hope they met at Heaven's gate and have taken each other under wing.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey

I don't know if she counts as a celebrity, but Helen Thomas, long time White House correspondent, has died at 92.

She counts! Barbara Walters gets a lot of attention for being the one to break into news as a talking head, but Helen Thomas was out there in the trenches breaking barriers as a political reporter. Though talked about less, I think in many ways what Helen did was an even bigger deal!
    Moontat likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

That was exactly what I thought when I heard about Helen. In my mind, she definitely outranked BW. Of course, they did two different jobs but I saw Helen Thomas as more powerful.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I guess I just wasn't sure how Helen Thomas would feel about being thought of as a "celebrity," rather than a journalist.

I saw a piece about her on CBS Sunday Morning this morning, and a fellow reporter who was interviewed about her said his favorite memory of her was the way she'd whisper, "Can you believe they expect us to buy this crap?" at key moments during White House press conferences.

Two different types of journalism. Helen Thomas was a PRINT journalist and a pioneer in that field. Barbara Walters was solely a television journalist and also a pioneer....whether you like her or not, that's what she is.

Helen Thomas was an icon who had a nice long life. Her contribution to the field can't be overstated.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Two different types of journalism. Helen Thomas was a PRINT journalist and a pioneer in that field. Barbara Walters was solely a television journalist and also a pioneer....whether you like her or not, that's what she is.

Helen Thomas was an icon who had a nice long life. Her contribution to the field can't be overstated.
    That's true Critical, they were in two different types of journalism. I sometimes forget that she was a print journalist, since I remember loving seeing her on TV challenging presidents with questions.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Helen Thomas has been in the White House Press Corp for the last 10 presidents. Obama, Bush 43, Clinton, Bush 41, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, JFK and IKE

she was an institution!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

BW was/is more fluff. Helen was a more "take no prisoners" kind of reporter.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread