+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree862Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

I loved the way the writers showed a woman shine through as the brains and glue holding a family together. Jean Stapleton played the part to perfection.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I thought she was a very good actress, when she was interviewed her speaking voice was beautiful. RIP, and say hi to Archie
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Can only hope this brings us an "All In The Family" marathon. It still one of my all time favorites.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Count me in as loving AITF too! A couple of years ago, my teenage son started watching it and thought it was hysterical.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

She was truly a gifted comic actress. I loved her as Edith, but I also remember her as Sue in the movie version of The Bells Are Ringing with Judy Holliday, another of my all-time favorites.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I just keep thinking that a show like that would never see the light of day today. It was so cutting edge with a racist, misogynistic....etc. protagonist and to laugh at such issues that were such 'hot button' issues. I also loved 'Archie's place' when they adopt a daughter.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    I just keep thinking that a show like that would never see the light of day today. It was so cutting edge with a racist, misogynistic....etc. protagonist and to laugh at such issues that were such 'hot button' issues. I also loved 'Archie's place' when they adopt a daughter.
    We've become so incredibly over-the-top politically correct that it's ridiculous! of course, that's just my opinion and I'm sure that I am in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    We've become so incredibly over-the-top politically correct that it's ridiculous! of course, that's just my opinion and I'm sure that I am in the minority.
    You may be in the minority, but not with me. Politically correct, as with anything else taken to the extreme, becomes meaningless and a scapegoat reason for people to hold on to their biases. All in the Family was the only version of a Britcom that I loved. The British series was called Till Death Us Do Part, and from what I've heard, All in the Family was much milder in its approach.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    You may be in the minority, but not with me. Politically correct, as with anything else taken to the extreme, becomes meaningless and a scapegoat reason for people to hold on to their biases. All in the Family was the only version of a Britcom that I loved. The British series was called Till Death Us Do Part, and from what I've heard, All in the Family was much milder in its approach.
    Yes, Till death do us Part was far from mild, it was brilliant, I loved that show.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

So sad about Jean Stapleton's passing.

Yep, "All in The Family" is one of my all-time faves, too.

I can still hear/see Edith going off at Archie and screeching: "I SAID STIFLE!" in one memorable ep.

I cracked UP!

Archie NEVER saw THAT one comin'!

It still makes me smile today, just THINKING about that!

RIP, Jean.

You are well loved, and we'll miss you.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread