+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree807Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    He is most definitely NOT an idiot. I've seen a couple of episodes of his talk show and just read this article, and it's clear that he's very intelligent and well-read. Agree with him or not, no one who has paid any attention to anything he's said can legitimately call him an idiot.
    I think it's just ignorance (calling him an idiot). They maybe don't know much about him. He was on Conan one night when I was visiting my folks and a few seconds into the interview my mother asked "Who IS that?" and not in a good way. By the end of the interview she loved him. He's SO quick and witty. I think people get hung up on his appearance and that kooky persona that they don't take the time to get to know anything else.

I thought this was interesting in light of the last few days: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead, So Who's Next?: The 'Rule Of Threes,' Explained
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I never thought Russell Brand was unintelligent. I just don't care for his brand of entertainment.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I never thought Russell Brand was unintelligent. I just don't care for his brand of entertainment.
    DH showed me a clip when he had some members of the westboro baptist church on, it was quite interesting. He didn't get in a shouting match, he actually used quite a bit of humor in his interview, but you could tell he found them completely disgusting.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I just saw a "breaking news" banner on the USA Today site saying that Jonathan Winters has died. There's no story yet.

I always enjoyed his humor. Just an all-around fun guy! RIP, Jonathan!
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I just saw a "breaking news" banner on the USA Today site saying that Jonathan Winters has died. There's no story yet.

I always enjoyed his humor. Just an all-around fun guy! RIP, Jonathan!
    Oh that is too bad.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I always remember him saying, "Call me Maudie. It turns me on!" Wonderful man.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Sad news about Jonathan Winters. In his day there was nobody like him.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Here's the write-up CNN has put out:

Comedian Jonathan Winters dies at 87 - CNN.com

My husband remembers being in the hospital to have his tonsils out and watching Jonathan Winters after the surgery. Said it hurt to laugh, but he was just too funny to hold it in.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

He was a comedian who was highly respected and revered by all other comics. I own the set of Dean Martin's variety show DVDs and Jonathan Winters was a frequent guest star. It's a pleasure to be able to still watch him.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

From Kathy Griffin's FB:
    I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Winters a couple of times. He was sharp as a tack and when he flirted with me (in one of his characters), I giggled like a teenager! I grew up worshipping him. There was no one like him. Our family listened to all of his comedy albums together and we never missed one of his famous appearances on the classic variety shows of the 70's and 80's. The last time I saw him, he was with Robin Williams and the two of them together were a magical version of hell on wheels. So funny and quick, I just laughed until the tears ran down my face. People throw around the terms "comic genius" and "ahead of their time" way too often about any damn fool on YouTube. Look up anything and everything you can on Jonathan Winters right now and laugh and GET SCHOOLED til you double over! Rest In Peace!
    She's right - there's never been, nor will there ever be, anyone else like him. He really was a comic genius.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread