+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree456Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

I remember in the 70's when Happy Days was all the rage and everything 50's was popular, the local station ran repeats of the original Mickey Mouse Club. I would run home after school each day to watch it! I even had a crush on either Spin or Marty until one day it dawned on me that these "kids" were now adults! Kind of killed the moment LOL But I have very fond memories of watching Annette and crew in their heyday.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Did anyone else hear that Annette had been in a coma for more than a year before she died? The family made the decision to turn off her life support. Horrible decision to have to make.

Makes me seriously think about making/updating a living will.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I remember Annette well. In looking at the pictures from her Mouseketeers days ... I always notice her eyebrows! She was always the "favorite" Mouseketeer ... and everyone thought she was their own. The girls wanted to be her! (The girls also were in love with either Spin or Marty too )

Regarding Roger Ebert. I met him many years ago. Long story short, it was in a bar where journalists/newsmen used to go. For the life of me I cannot remember where in Chicago that establishment was located. I am also not a drinker ... but then he was a former drinker, correct? ... so I'm not sure why I was there ... maybe as the designated driver? Anyway ... he approached me and we talked. I do not remember what we talked about, but probably just small talk. He was older and I didn't know who he was until a friend told me and was shocked that I was ready to leave!

I hope that Roger Ebert may know that I often thought about that encounter ... and so felt a personal connection the times I saw or read his reviews.
    It seems that everyone who knew him thought he was a really great guy. Local news people here could barely report this as many of them were personal friends.

Also, his last blog entry was titled "A Leave of Presence" . He knew he was going home, but Chaz mentioned he was going home for hospice care ... so he knew it wasn't a leave of absence. He had such a wonderful way with and play with words!

Anyway .. I am sad ... but one of my favorite lines from Roger Ebert's wonderful Essay that Critical linked for us is:

We must try to contribute joy to the world.

You succeeded with that Roger ... RIP
    Last edited by echo226; 04-09-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Did anyone else hear that Annette had been in a coma for more than a year before she died? The family made the decision to turn off her life support. Horrible decision to have to make.

Makes me seriously think about making/updating a living will.
    There are news stories reporting that she was in a coma ... and one or two saying it was for years but it really doesn't matter.

I think it's a good idea to let your wishes be known ... but she fought relentlessly for a cure, so it is possible that however her final years/time was spent ... and how her final exit was handled ... it was all according to her own wishes.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I do! Many (MANY) moons ago I took a tap class from him! He was lovely and so much fun!
    YOU ACTUALLY TOOK A TAP CLASS FROM BOBBY FREAKIN' BURGESS?!

Wow.

And to find out from you that he was actually just as lovely and fun as he appeared to be when I saw him on TV all those years ago??

DOUBLE wow!

That is just TOO cool!!!!!!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I remember Annette well. In looking at the pictures from her Mouseketeers days ... I always notice her eyebrows! She was always the "favorite" Mouseketeer ... and everyone thought she was their own. The girls wanted to be her! (The girls also were in love with either Spin or Marty too )

Regarding Roger Ebert. I met him many years ago. Long story short, it was in a bar where journalists/newsmen used to go. For the life of me I cannot remember where in Chicago that establishment was located. I am also not a drinker ... but then he was a former drinker, correct? ... so I'm not sure why I was there ... maybe as the designated driver? Anyway ... he approached me and we talked. I do not remember what we talked about, but probably just small talk. He was older and I didn't know who he was until a friend told me and was shocked that I was ready to leave!

I hope that Roger Ebert may know that I often thought about that encounter ... and so felt a personal connection the times I saw or read his reviews.
    It seems that everyone who knew him thought he was a really great guy. Local news people here could barely report this as many of them were personal friends.

Also, his last blog entry was titled "A Leave of Presence" . He knew he was going home, but Chaz mentioned he was going home for hospice care ... so he knew it wasn't a leave of absence. He had such a wonderful way with and play with words!

Anyway .. I am sad ... but one of my favorite lines from Roger Ebert's wonderful Essay that Critical linked for us is:

We must try to contribute joy to the world.

You succeeded with that Roger ... RIP
    This was a GREAT post to read, echo, and thanks so much for sharing!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I seriously doubt that anyone would want to stick their loved ones, children and husband especially, through deciding on terminating their lives. It's possible that the coma "snuck" up on her. Either way it was, it's just sad.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Any time someone bags on Russell Brand and calls him an idiot, I wish they'd read something like this essay he wrote on Margaret Thatcher's passing: Russell Brand: Remembering Margaret Thatcher, Britain's Unmaternal National Matriarch
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My mom chose my middle name, Annette, after Annette Funicello. She loved her on the Mickey Mouse Club and I would watch the reruns of it and watch her when I was growing up. She was a great lady.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Any time someone bags on Russell Brand and calls him an idiot, I wish they'd read something like this essay he wrote on Margaret Thatcher's passing: Russell Brand: Remembering Margaret Thatcher, Britain's Unmaternal National Matriarch
    He is most definitely NOT an idiot. I've seen a couple of episodes of his talk show and just read this article, and it's clear that he's very intelligent and well-read. Agree with him or not, no one who has paid any attention to anything he's said can legitimately call him an idiot.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread