+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree814Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Just heard about Roger Ebert. So sad. He fought a heck of a battle

I always respected him as a critic and just a really good writer. This is from a few years ago, but it's a beautiful memorial:

I do not fear death - Salon.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

aaawwww, I always liked Rober Ebert and I thought his reviews were on target. He had a very tough battle with cancer for years. RIP Roger. You will be missed.

I wonder if the announcement was just a way of hiding the fact (not saying it in a bad way) that he was on his death bed? So very sad.

RIP, Roger, enjoy a good movie with Gene.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Siskel and Ebert together again. R.I.P Roger Ebert. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Just heard about Roger Ebert. So sad. He fought a heck of a battle

I always respected him as a critic and just a really good writer. This is from a few years ago, but it's a beautiful memorial:

I do not fear death - Salon.com
    Critical . . .

Thank you so much for linking that.

It was so, so beautiful.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Some really great take-downs from Roger Ebert: Funniest Roger Ebert Quotes: His Best Movie Take Downs

Apparently - and fittingly - his last published words were "I'll see you at the movies."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I have taken an admiration for Ebert for the last couple years or so. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Just read on CNN that Roger Ebert has passed away....he will be greatly missed. RIP.

Heard just yesterday, or was it this morning, that his cancer had come back. He'd said that he was going to scale back his work load but still do reviews, and now today, he's gone. Just way too many people dying of cancer.

I heard that yesterday, too. It was shocking to hear the story this afternoon.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Some really great take-downs from Roger Ebert: Funniest Roger Ebert Quotes: His Best Movie Take Downs

Apparently - and fittingly - his last published words were "I'll see you at the movies."
    Critical . . .

Thanks!

Those are absolute GEMS!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Dreadfully sad. I don't much like critics or agree with many of their opinions, but Roger Ebert was the exception. Like most of you, I read yesterday that his cancer had returned and that he was cutting back on his work schedule, but I saw nothing to indicate he was on the verge of passing. He will be missed.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread