+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 355 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast
Like Tree864Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

I remember listening to Paul Harvey as a child. My mom would listen to the radio all day as she did her housework. I can remember his distinct voice coming through our Philco radio. Every time I would hear him it would evoke childhood memories. Now you know the rest of the story. Good day Mr Harvey and RIP sir.

Paul Harvey's singular voice falls silent - USATODAY.com
    Paul Harvey's singular voice falls silent
    By Thomas K. Arnold, Special for USA TODAY
    Paul Harvey was radio's original Prairie Home Companion.

The legendary commentator, 90, who died Saturday in Phoenix (no cause of death was released), was known for his homespun take on the day's events, which reached 18 million listeners a day on the ABC Radio Networks. Harvey's 15-minute monologues, delivered with frank but rhythmic drama, were punctuated by a signature signoff: "This is Paul Harvey. ... Good day."

Harvey's radio career spanned more than 70 years, predating TV and continuing into the Internet age. And for the past 57 years, the appeal of Paul Harvey News & Comment truly transcended generations. Recalls Catherine Miller, a mother of two from Carlsbad, Calif.: "I have loved Paul since I was a kid. I remember listening to him on summer days, driving in the car with the adults, thinking that he had it right."

Indeed, Harvey was known as the "voice of Middle America" for his apple-pie conservatism, although he was hardly part of the extreme breed who dominate talk radio today. When he first went national in the early 1950s, he was a staunch defender of communist hunter Sen. Joe McCarthy, and in the 1960s he frequently railed against the counterculture and what he perceived as permissiveness on college campuses and in the news media.

But in what many consider his most famous broadcast, Harvey in 1970 blasted his friend Richard Nixon's expansion of the Vietnam War and instead urged the president to get out.

"Mr. President, I love you," Harvey said, "but you're wrong."

In a statement, former president George W. Bush said: "Paul was a friendly and familiar voice in the lives of millions of Americans. His commentary entertained, enlightened and informed. Laura and I are pleased to have known this fine man."

Harvey was born in Oklahoma in 1918 and made his on-air debut in Tulsa at age 14, at the urging of a teacher. He read the news and commercials. He gradually worked his way into bigger markets and ultimately hit Chicago in the late 1940s.

In 1990, Harvey was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame. Ten years later, when Harvey was 81, ABC signed him to a 10-year, $100 million contract. Harvey's two daily news and commentary segments, and the evening "Rest of the Story" human-interest clip, were carried on more than 1,100 ABC radio stations and an additional 400 belonging to the Armed Forces Radio Network.

Said ABC Radio chief Jim Robinson: "As he delivered the news each day with his own unique style and commentary, his voice became a trusted friend in American households."

Can't say I'll personally miss him that much, but my [96 year old] Grandma is going to be pretty upset. And I certainly respect the length and breadth of his career overall, even if he was never personally to my taste. Plus his stand against the Vietnam War is pretty well known, and given how big a deal for a mainstream newsradio broadcaster to do that in 1970... well you have to respect that too.

I DO of course recall his voice pretty well, because of a childhood [many years AFTER Unklescott and his Philco radio! ] hearing him come out of my Grandparent's radio, stuck permanently on the local ABC Talk Radio/News Radio channel. His voice was almost hypnotic, like a metronome, UP and down, UP and down. Here's a story on his death with a clip including his voice.

I'm sure I overheard the phrase "And now you know…the rest of the story" thousands of times on hundreds of family visits.

If you want to leave condolences for his family, here's the place: Paul Harvey - 1918 - 2009
    Last edited by Krom; 03-02-2009 at 07:22 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Local to this area (Cincinnati, OH), but Uncle Al passed away. A couple generations of children were avid followers of his children's show.

I was driving in my van when I heard about Paul Harvey, I actually cried. I used to just love his "the rest of the story"s
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

May he rest in peace. I grew up listening to him with my grandparents.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

90 years old. He had a good run. He earned his way out of here!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

All this week on our local KABC 790am radio they have been doing tributes to Paul Harvey at 11:45am and 6:55pm. The times that he did his news stories and "The Rest of the Story" program. I cry each time.
    May he rest in peace in the arms of his one and only Angel once again.

Schmoo2, I remember Uncle Al-I watched as often as I was allowed! We eventually made up a song about Uncle Al-the kiddies playboy (or it was on the early years of Saturday Night Love)

I loved listening to Paul Harvey. I listen to his son, and a few of the other guest talkers, but Paul Harvey was one of a kind.

Premium Member

Actor Ron Silver, 62, dies of cancer - Yahoo! Canada News

- Award-winning actor and activist Ron Silver, who was Emmy-nominated for his role on the hit U.S. television drama "The West Wing," died on Sunday of cancer. He was 62.

"Ron Silver died peacefully in his sleep with his family around him early Sunday morning," said Robin Bronk, executive director of the Creative Coalition, which Silver helped found.

Bronk said Silver was with his family in New York City and he had been fighting esophageal cancer for two years.

Bronk called Silver not only a very talented actor, but a champion of free speech and artists' rights.

New York-based Creative Coalition is an art-oriented political group founded in 1989 by Silver, Alec Baldwin and Susan Sarandon, among others.

Silver, who won Broadway's 1988 Tony Award for his work in David Mamet's drama "Speed the Plow," had been a longtime liberal activist, but after the September 11 attacks became an outspoken supporter of Republican President George W. Bush.

He was a featured speaker at the 2004 Republican National Convention, sometimes called himself a "9/11 Republican" and switched his party affiliation from Democrat to independent.

Silver said his shift in politics cost him jobs in liberal Hollywood, yet he remained sought out for his skills as a character actor.

His portrayal of White House strategist Bruno Gianelli on "The West Wing" was perhaps his best known part in recent years, but he earned another Emmy nomination for the murder thriller "Billionaire Boys Club."

He had roles on the TV hospital drama "Chicago Hope" and the comedy "Veronica's Closet," and he won acclaim for playing lawyer Alan Dershowitz in the film "Reversal of Fortune."

Born and raised in New York City, his father worked in the garment industry and his mother was a teacher. He earned a master's degree in Chinese history from St. John's University in New York and studied drama at the Actors Studio. Silver and ex-wife Lynne Miller had a son and a daughter.
    Rest in Peace Mr. Silver, I have enjoyed his work over the years. You will be missed.
    Last edited by paridy; 03-16-2009 at 04:34 AM.

He was an excellent actor. I loved his portrayal of Dershowitz in Revfersal of Fortune. He will be missed.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread