+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree722Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Former U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter -- the embodiment of the now-dying breed of liberal Republicans before he switched to the Democratic Party at the twilight of his political career -- has died, his family said Sunday. He was 82.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Gary Collins and Mary Ann Mobley are still married, but separated. They've been married for many years, but her struggle with breast cancer and his depression caused them to separate.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Gary Collins and Mary Ann Mobley are still married, but separated. They've been married for many years, but her struggle with breast cancer and his depression caused them to separate.
    You know I had wondered if in the last few years he might have been struggling with dementia or now as you say depression . He had never had run ins with the law and then as of 2008 he was arrested for DUI, he skipped out on a bill etc.... hearing this
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Former U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter -- the embodiment of the now-dying breed of liberal Republicans before he switched to the Democratic Party at the twilight of his political career -- has died, his family said Sunday. He was 82.
    His death makes me sad. He wasn't afraid to buck the party line to do what he thought was best for his constituents (and the country, too). He was kind of my senator--I lived in NJ but taught at Temple Univ. I didn't always agree with him but I always respected him.

FORT Fogey

I think what's happening in the Helmsley case just points out how important it is to have a good will/estate plan, especially if you don't have relatives to whom you feel close. Unfortunately, a relative's death can bring out the absolute worst in people and you can end up finding out about jealousies and feuds you didn't even know existed.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    You know I had wondered if in the last few years he might have been struggling with dementia or now as you say depression . He had never had run ins with the law and then as of 2008 he was arrested for DUI, he skipped out on a bill etc.... hearing this
    It's not unusual for dementia and depression to go hand in hand. As people start to recognize that they're not always on top of things or can't handle tasks they used to handle with ease, it's not a big surprise that they can sometimes become depressed or paranoid. And sometimes people who are struggling with depression end up trying to self-medicate with alcohol. If that's what happened to him--I have no idea if it is--it's very sad, as it's very sad when it happens to anyone, famous or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Oh how sad.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I don't know about Gary Collins and Mary Ann Mobley separating. I do know that he just died.

RIP
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Right. I should have written that they were still married, but separated, at the time of his death.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

RIP, Gary.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread