+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree456Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

Andy was something very special....wonderful singer and seemed like a great guy.... similar in those ways like Perry Como.
    It's sad to see so many who made our childhoods special with the tv shows we grew up with...when there was very little choice in "what was on tv tonight," and families watched them together.
    Things have really changed...guess I'm feeling old and nostalgic.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am also a huge fan of Nat's daughter's music. She is such a GIRLY version of him!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    YEAH , he did!

VERY silky, soothing and rich!

I'm still downloading his stuff onto my iPod.

Andy, Johnny Mathis, Perry Como and Nat King Cole were/are some of my favorites.

They SURE don't make music like that anymore.
    A big YES from me on all the singers you mention above. I'll add in Vic Damone and Jerry Vale.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    A big YES from me on all the singers you mention above. I'll add in Vic Damone and Jerry Vale.
    Damone and Vale?!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!

And Bing Crosby (CERTAINLY!!!!)? Robert Goulet, Jack Jones, DEAN MARTIN???????????

I suppose it's true to say that you never miss your water until your well goes dry.

Just like the long-gone Motown era, Andy and all the rest, to me, represent a true Golden Age of music and talent.

In saying that, I'm NOT dumping on the more modern, recent types of music. I like and enjoy a LOT of those artists and genres, and listen to and own quite a bit of them, too (For example: Lady GaGa, among others, anyone?).

But, with Andy's passing, I believe quite a few of us are reminded of and transported back to another musical time and era that really can't (or won't) be duplicated in any true fashion nowadays, and for that reason alone, is very, very special.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am also a huge fan of Nat's daughter's music. She is such a GIRLY version of him!
    YES!!!!!!!!!!

Satin pours out of her vocal chords, just like her dad's!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

A few years ago, they did a lovely look back at the Andy Williams' Christmas specials, interviewing people who appeared on them regularly, including his kids. I remember one son saying that when he was a little boy, they knew they better get any take he was in on the first shot, because as far as he was concerned, if he'd gotten it right the first time, then he was done and was most uncooperative about doing the same shot again simply because someone else had screwed up. I guess it's hard to explain to a three year old why you sometimes have to do many takes of the same scene. At any rate, they made sure they at least got his close-up on the first shot, so that if he wasn't looking very happy in later takes, they could just edit his reaction out.

I also recall Donny Osmond saying that after a while, the Osmond brothers felt like the arrangers on those Christmas specials were just pushing to see how complicated they could really go with the harmonies on the brothers' pieces, because with each progressive year, the arrangements got more and more difficult. Yet, probably because of their difficulty, they all remember those arrangements to this day and still sing them when they get together for family Christmases, just for their own amusement.

Now I'm getting nostalgic...remember back in the day, when you could count on certain stars having a Christmas special every year? Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Bob Hope, Perry Como....OMG, is anyone else old enough to remember the King Family?

Sorry if I'm behind on all this, but I was actually having a shoulder manipulation the morning Andy died, so I'm behind on a bunch of stuff. But it has't been a good year for Andys, has it? First Andy Griffith and now Andy Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    A few years ago, they did a lovely look back at the Andy Williams' Christmas specials, interviewing people who appeared on them regularly, including his kids. I remember one son saying that when he was a little boy, they knew they better get any take he was in on the first shot, because as far as he was concerned, if he'd gotten it right the first time, then he was done and was most uncooperative about doing the same shot again simply because someone else had screwed up. I guess it's hard to explain to a three year old why you sometimes have to do many takes of the same scene. At any rate, they made sure they at least got his close-up on the first shot, so that if he wasn't looking very happy in later takes, they could just edit his reaction out.

I also recall Donny Osmond saying that after a while, the Osmond brothers felt like the arrangers on those Christmas specials were just pushing to see how complicated they could really go with the harmonies on the brothers' pieces, because with each progressive year, the arrangements got more and more difficult. Yet, probably because of their difficulty, they all remember those arrangements to this day and still sing them when they get together for family Christmases, just for their own amusement.

Now I'm getting nostalgic...remember back in the day, when you could count on certain stars having a Christmas special every year? Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Bob Hope, Perry Como....OMG, is anyone else old enough to remember the King Family?

Sorry if I'm behind on all this, but I was actually having a shoulder manipulation the morning Andy died, so I'm behind on a bunch of stuff. But it has't been a good year for Andys, has it? First Andy Griffith and now Andy Williams.
    Oh, Tilden, hope your shoulder's OK!

I LOL at the story about Andy's son!

And The Osmonds? Oh, boy! I seem to remember Donny (IIRC) telling a story about one time when they were appearing on Andy's show. Somebody had cooked up a number where they sang and danced, but did it while ice skating at the same time!!!!!!!!

Problem was . . . none of them knew HOW to ice skate!!!!!!!!

They dutifully reported this to the director (producer, whoever). The response they got was: "Oh! You don't know how to skate? No problem! You're the Osmonds, so we KNOW you'll pull it off!"

Being the pros they were (despite their varying young ages), they tied on the skates and slipped, slid and crashed around the set trying to: 1. teach themselves HOW to ice skate, and 2. work the choreography and song into what they were doing.

After slips, slides and crashes aplenty, the time comes to film their number.

Does anybody need to ask?

Of COURSE it went perfectly!

When the torture was over, the brothers (so saith Donny, or whichever Osmond), promptly dropped where they stood, tore off the ice skates, flung them across the set (OMG! The OSMONDS DID THAT?!) and SWORE they'd never put on another pair of ice skates for as long as they lived!

I was howling!

Sometimes, I guess you CAN be too good for your own good!

The King Family?

I sure DO remember them! I watched their show! And seeing the entire family on a show was always good for a laugh, because it seemed like there were 5,000 of them. I was always amazed --- in that mob! --- how all the parents always seemed to know which child was theirs!

I LOVED their music then, and STILL do! Their close harmonies (four-part, IIRC) were so beautiful to listen to. Tina Cole was one of the King Cousins. She appeared on the family show and also played Robbie's wife (Katie) on "My Three Sons".

I also liked seeing Alvino Rey (one of the sisters' husbands; I don't remember WHICH one he was married to right now) play the steel guitar.

They were SUCH old pros!

SURE I remember everybody's Christmas specials! I lived to see those during the holiday season just like I lived to see "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "The Littlest Angel"!

I remember one of Perry Como's Christmas specials. They filmed him singing "Ave Maria", completely alone, in an actual church. He had his head bowed throughout the song, and his hands clasped in front of him. That number was so, SO lovely, so special, so sacred. I remember getting chills and tearing up when I saw and heard it. I was completely mesmerized. And at the end of the song, the camera gradually pulled away from a close-up of Perry as the scene just oh-so-very-slowly faded to black.

Wow.

I miss those days.

Tilden I will get nostalgic with you ANY time!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ness; 09-30-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Oh, Tilden, hope your shoulder's OK!

I LOL at the story about Andy's son!

And The Osmonds? Oh, boy! I seem to remember Donny (IIRC) telling a story about one time when they were appearing on Andy's show. Somebody had cooked up a number where they sang and danced, but did it while ice skating at the same time!!!!!!!!

Problem was . . . none of them knew HOW to ice skate!!!!!!!!

They dutifully reported this to the director (producer, whoever). The response they got was: "Oh! You don't know how to skate? No problem! You're the Osmonds, so we KNOW you'll pull it off!"

Being the pros they were (despite their varying young ages), they tied on the skates and slipped, slid and crashed around the set trying to: 1. teach themselves HOW to ice skate, and 2. work the choreography and song into what they were doing.

After slips, slides and crashes aplenty, the time comes to film their number.

Does anybody need to ask?

Of COURSE it went perfectly!

When the torture was over, the brothers (so saith Donny, or whichever Osmond), promptly dropped where they stood, tore off the ice skates, flung them across the set (OMG! The OSMONDS DID THAT?!) and SWORE they'd never put on another pair of ice skates for as long as they lived!

I was howling!

Sometimes, I guess you CAN be too good for your own good!

The King Family?

I sure DO remember them! I watched their show! And seeing the entire family on a show was always good for a laugh, because it seemed like there were 5,000 of them. I was always amazed --- in that mob! --- how all the parents always seemed to know which child was theirs!

I LOVED their music then, and STILL do! Their close harmonies (four-part, IIRC) were so beautiful to listen to. Tina Cole was one of the King Cousins. She appeared on the family show and also played Robbie's wife (Katie) on "My Three Sons".

I also liked seeing Alvino Rey (one of the sisters' husbands; I don't remember WHICH one he was married to right now) play the steel guitar.

They were SUCH old pros!

SURE I remember everybody's Christmas specials! I lived to see those during the holiday season just like I lived to see "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "The Littlest Angel"!

I remember one of Perry Como's Christmas specials. They filmed him singing "Ave Maria", completely alone, in an actual church. He had his head bowed throughout the song, and his hands clasped in front of him. That number was so, SO lovely, so special, so sacred. I remember getting chills and tearing up when I saw and heard it. I was completely mesmerized. And at the end of the song, the camera gradually pulled away from a close-up of Perry as the scene just oh-so-very-slowly faded to black.

Wow.

I miss those days.

Tilden I will get nostalgic with you ANY time!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great story about the Osmonds ice skating. Was the King steel guitar player the one who would make it "talk"? That always amazed me.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

First, I had the manipulation, because after the partial shoulder replacement I had in May, scar tissue formed that was causing a plateau in my physical therapy, I had to have the manipulation to break up the scar tissue. Second, I am told that because I am healing well and they were able to get my arm extended to 170 under anesthesia (and 160 the next morning, when I was wide awake; I could only get it to 150 before--though I really should say that in both cases, it was the physical therapist helping stretch it to that point) and because I'm "young" (the doctor keeps saying that, but it's only because most of his patients are...well, let's just say I appear to be young because I volunteer at a nursing home as opposed to living in one), I should be able to get full mobility of the shoulder back "with physical therapy and lots of hard work" (direct quote from doctor, according to a friend who took notes; at that point, I was still in recovery). So, for the moment, I'm in physical therapy five days a week for the next two weeks and three days a week for the rest of the month and probably more after that, but they only schedule you ahead so far. I just can't picture them allowing me to go from three days a week to nothing, just like that.

Anyway, I always wondered what happened in the King family if someone turned out to be tone deaf. I suppose they could just be kept off the stage then, but it was hard to imagine that there were even more members of that family who were off-stage when so many of them were already on stage.

And speaking of skating, I swear I remember one of those Christmas specials--it might have been a Perry Como special, but I'm not sure--that featured actual Olympic skaters on such a tiny rink I couldn't figure out how they managed not to slide right off it. I also saw a tribute to Any Williams on CBS Sunday Morning this a.m. that showed Andy Williams with the Osmonds when they were so young that Donny was sitting on his knee like a Charlie McCarthy doll (they were dressed in little suits with bow ties, and that was my first thought--Donny looks like a ventriloquist's dummy sitting on Andy's knee like that).

Now I have to go and see if I can find out if I'm remembering the skaters on the special correctly. Thank heavens for You-Tube

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Great story about the Osmonds ice skating. Was the King steel guitar player the one who would make it "talk"? That always amazed me.
    He sure was! It amazed me, too! Such a talented guy!

+ Reply to Thread