+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree458Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

His lyrics were so wonderful.

He and Burt Bacharach were real movers and shakers in Dionne Warwick's career in the 60s.

RIP, Hal.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

This is not going to be a popular post but I am hoping to bring out someone who thinks as I do. Just so I can meet you! I don't think life ends at "death" so rest in peace is not accurate and quite frankley silly. That is a very Christian notion. For me, we don't rest and that is a good thing. Our soul is everlasting and does not disappear.....whatever works for you.

It isn't sad when someone makes their transition, it is to be celebrated. We are not going to get out of here alive. Death/transition is something we all will all experience.

It is a a fact of life and a good thing.

I do not apologize for the Christians I may offend. We are all entitled to believe what we do.

My mother was a comedy writer for Phillys Diller. I met her, knew her and she was close in our lives. I loved her. I celebrate her transition. It is the way things go. Yes I felt sad but not because she died. Because I loved her and it was expected. We all die.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 09-02-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

NBC Nightly News is reporting that Sun Myung Moon (Unification Church) has died. He had been in the hospital suffering from pneumonia. The rest of my news feed hasn't caught up to this yet as I can find nothing on Google other than that he's been ill.

Edited to add: here's a link Rev. Sun Myung Moon, self-proclaimed messiah who founded Unification Church, dies at age 92 - 9/2/2012 1:51:29 PM | Newser
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    This is not going to be a popular post but I am hoping to bring out someone who thinks as I do. Just so I can meet you! I don't think life ends at "death" so rest in peace is not accurate and quite frankley silly. That is a very Christian notion. For me, we don't rest and that is a good thing. Our soul is everlasting and does not disappear.....whatever works for you.

It isn't sad when someone makes their transition, it is to be celebrated. We are not going to get out of here alive. Death/transition is something we all will all experience.

It is a a fact of life and a good thing.

I do not apologize for the Christians I may offend. We are all entitled to believe what we do.

My mother was a comedy writer for Phillys Diller. I met her, knew her and she was close in our lives. I loved her. I celebrate her transition. It is the way things go. Yes I felt sad but not because she died. Because I loved her and it was expected. We all die.
    Popular doesn't have anything to do with it, Shoepie.

You have a brain, a thought process and an opinion, and all are welcome here.

Yep, I consider myself a spiritual Christian ("spiritual" in the sense that I don't partake in any organized religious factions, at this juncture, but do believe in the basic tenets of Christianity, overall).

Having said that . . .

I can totally see where you're coming from with your idea about "RIP". For me, when I say it, I'm referring to "earthly" rest of the remains, if you will. You've left the worldly BS behind and have gone on. Maybe I'm not explaining how I'm looking at it very well, but I do also believe that the ones I've loved that have gone on are still alive. They're just not alive with ME, in THIS life anymore. They've met up with others I've loved and lost in this life and are carrying on in another, better one.

It's the same idea, I think, as the procession AFTER a funeral in, say. New Orleans, where there is a jazz band, and people are dancing, singing, laughing and partying in the street in memory of their loved one after the formal funeral service. Why? Because that loved one has now left THIS world and gone Home, and that is cause for celebration and rejoicing. The mourning and weeping PRIOR to the service is to express the sorrow at the loss. The rejoicing AFTERWARD expresses happiness that the loved one no longer has to suffer the troubles of this world.

For me, I'll probably still continue to say "RIP". Not out of disrespect for where the soul of the loved one goes after earthly death, but, rather, as an acknowledgement that someone's earthly work has been done and their remains have stilled and have been put to rest in whatever manner is correct for their loved ones to utilize.

I may not be getting what I'm saying across too well, but I hope so.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

I get what you are saying Ness. My beliefs are not Christianity based, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I get what you are saying Ness. My beliefs are not Christianity based, though.
    It's all good, Shoepie.

Your "not-Christianity-based" beliefs open doors for all of us to step through and explore other ideas and ways of looking at things. If we didn't, we might not learn anything else and grow. And we might not realize, that by whatever name we call ourselves regarding religion or spirituality, our core beliefs just may NOT be so drastically different from each other, after all.

And THAT'S what's important.

At least to me, it is.

So, KEEP 'EM COMIN'!

Breaking News:

'Green Mile' actor Michael Clarke Duncan has died

Yahoo!

So sad

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Michael Clarke Duncan has died, the "Green Mile" actor's fiancee told the Associated Press on Monday. He was 54.

The actor was hospitalized in Los Angeles in July after suffering a heart attack. His actress-girlfriend Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth, discovered him in distress and revived him by performing CPR.

Duncan is best known for his performance in the 1999 prison drama "The Green Mile," starring Tom Hanks. The actor has also appeared in "Armageddon," "The Scorpion King," and "Sin City."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Michael Clarke Duncan, 'Green Mile' actor dead, fiancee tells AP | abc7.com

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

OMG I just stumbled across the news about Michael Clarke Duncan on another site...so sad!! I'm stunned.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Oh, Lord.

Didn't he just have a heart attack not too long ago?

Is that the same guy???

+ Reply to Thread