+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree842Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

I was in an old-timey saloon in a small town outside of Reno, NV and all the patrons at the 100 year old bar were glued to the mounted TV. It was one of those "Where were you" moments.

RIP to a pioneer of the new frontier.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I was glued to the TV, too, at home.

RIP, Neil.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Our whole family stayed home that evening & sat around the TV to watch every minute of coverage. I feel like it was a "back in the good old days" moment. I miss those.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I was pregnant with my first child. I was glued to ABC's coverage because I loved and still do love the exploration of space. I had worked with science editor Jules Bergman in my single days and I loved his coverage. He was a true journalist in the days when we had them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Kevin Corrigan: Tony Scott Remembered
    I didn't even know Tony Scott and this one had me in tears by the end. Beautiful tribute.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I never met Phyllis Diller, but she spoke at my college (swarthmore) in 1969. She was articulate, succinct, and her message was about infectious humor and its powerful impact on social issues. She was waaaayy before her time. And, believe me, she was beautiful out of character. She was electrifing in her distilled, plain spoken message. She held up her own mirror to society and she is unforgettable, at least to me.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Poppy Fields, I like your speaker at college in 1969 than mine, in 1967...Timothy Leary.....although it does make a good story.
    At the time I was so naive, I had no idea what the man was talking about. I would have listened to Phyllis anytime instead of Timothy.

I loved Phyllis Diller from the first time I saw her. I also liked Timothy Leary and found him very entertaining. I'll never forget the genius bit of casting by Carlton Cuse and Jeffrey Boam in The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. It was the episode that spoofed the movie, Stagecoach, and they cast Timothy Leary as a professor of plant biology from Harvard. It was one of the best episodes in a show I loved. Brisco was the first of the shows that Fox cancelled way too soon.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Hal David, who wrote dozens of hits (including "Close to You" and "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head") with Burt Bacharach, has died at 91 from complications from a stroke.

I loved his music.

Songwriter Hal David, co-writer of 'Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head,' dies at 91 - NBC News Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Hal David, who wrote dozens of hits (including "Close to You" and "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head") with Burt Bacharach, has died at 91 from complications from a stroke.

I loved his music.

Songwriter Hal David, co-writer of 'Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head,' dies at 91 - NBC News Entertainment
    So did I.

+ Reply to Thread