+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree814Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Re: Rest In Peace.

RIP Phyllis Diller.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I admit I've been ducking this thread lately, but this TRULY knocked me for a loop . . .

Phyllis Diller Dead at 95 | NBC Chicago

I loved her and her comedy SO much.

RIP, Phyllis.

Give Fang a kiss for us.

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

According to ET, Phyllis Diller was 95, not 85---though maybe she'd have preferred to be thought of as 85.

Either way, she was a huge pioneer--really one of the very first women to do stand-up and perhaps the first to get a lot of attention in terms of national coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    According to ET, Phyllis Diller was 95, not 85---though maybe she'd have preferred to be thought of as 85.

Either way, she was a huge pioneer--really one of the very first women to do stand-up and perhaps the first to get a lot of attention in terms of national coverage.
    They just said 95 on the news
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I was just talking about her the other day. She came into my store once and I was her cashier, I was telling my daughter about her. I've always thought my 'meeting' with her was very cool. I must admit I didn't recognize her when she first came in, but another employee did.

May she RIP.

She was funny! RIP!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    She was funny! RIP!
    YEAH, she was!

And amazingly enough, not only was she a funny lady, she was also a talented classical pianist!

YEARS ago, I remember seeing her on one of those early afternoon talk shows (might've been Mike Douglas', who knows, at this late date?). The host mentioned that Phyllis just happened to be a classical pianist. You could almost hear the "Say WHAT?" coming from the audience. Lo and behold, there just happened to be a piano right there on set. Phyllis was asked if she'd play something, and smiling, she went over to the piano, removed her rings (two or three of 'em, which were the size of doorknockers, BTW!), placed them on top of the piano, and let it rip.

Phyllis bent over the piano keys. Her fingers flew, and the music soared. She looked like one of those Miss America contestants going for it in the Talent Competition. Her face was deadly calm and serious as she played.

I had to pick myself up from the floor, where I'd collapsed in complete shock.

When she finished, the head came up, the hands came off the keys, the rings went back on the fingers, and that famous cackle boomed as she flashed a million-dollar smile. Her eyes twinkled at the second of stunned silence that hit after the last note.

After that second, the audience roared in appreciation, and so did I.

She will be missed, indeed.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Phyllis Diller lived a nice long life, but I'm still sad to hear of her passing. It was just nice to know that she was still alive on the planet, I guess. There's never been anyone else like her and there never will be. I'll bet she's giving Fang an earful!

Thanks for sharing that story, ness! I love those little moments of surprise. You think you know all about someone and then you discover that you don't!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Wow, Phyllis! What a true pioneer. She has earned her rest.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think she was one of my absolute favorites-she could be funny both "clean" and bawdy!

+ Reply to Thread