+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Rest In Peace.

Always admired his style.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Loved his music.

RIP, Marvin.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I loved his music.
    RIP - Marvin
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

"Iím devastated. He was my dear friend. Heís been in my life ever since the first day I met him in 1963, when he was my rehearsal pianist for 'Funny Girl.' He played at my wedding in 1998Ö and recently for me at a benefit for womenís heart disease. The world will remember Marvin for his brilliant musical accomplishments, from 'A Chorus Line' to 'The Way We Were,' and so many others, but when I think of him now, it was his brilliantly quick mind, his generosity, and delicious sense of humor that made him a delight to be around. Just last night, I was trying to reach him, to tell him how much I loved him, and that I wanted to use an old song of his, that I had just heard for the first time. He was a true musical genius, but above all that, he was a beautiful human being. I will truly miss him."

Barbra Streisand
    https://www.facebook.com/barbrastreisand

May he rest in peace.

This one really saddens me. I loved, and still love, his music. My DVD is Chorus Line has been played so many time, I may have to replace it soon. He died way too young.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

My piano vocal score of A Chorus Line, which I got back in the seventies, literally is in pieces, but I still play and sing out of it. I know what I'll be pulling off the shelf to play through tonight when I do my twenty minutes of piano to help get my shoulder used to playing again.

The Sting is the reason I had a Scott Joplin book for piano lessons when I was twelve. I'd say I wanted him to rest in peace, but I can't imagine Marvin Hamlisch not playing and composing. I know he was Jewish, but I can't help thinking of the old hymn, "How Can I Keep From Singing?" ("My life flows on/In endless song/Above earth's lamentations/I hear the clear but far off sound/That hails a new creation").

Long time movie critic & reviewer Judith Christ also passed away today at the tender age of 90.

Controversial art critic Robert Hughes also passed today: Robert Hughes, pugnacious art critic, author and TV host, dies at 74 - The Washington Post

I minored in Art History, so I read A LOT of his writing in college. He was delightfully nasty in his take downs of artists he didn't like. He also wrote The Fatal Shore, a history of Australia that was an international bestseller. He nearly died in a horrific car accident in '99, so I think maybe he felt that everything after that was borrowed time or a gift.

So sad about Marvin Hamlisch. SO many of his songs are iconic entries in the American Songbook. I've been hearing "The Way We Were" in my head all day since I heard of his passing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Today, heard that Sherman Hemsley died from a lung mass (lung cancer) that he decided not to have treated. Apparently, the treatment can be worse than the disease. Good for him for making his own decision.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Today, heard that Sherman Hemsley died from a lung mass (lung cancer) that he decided not to have treated. Apparently, the treatment can be worse than the disease. Good for him for making his own decision.
    It sounds like he didnt tell anyone, or was there anyone for him to tell? It sounds as if he had no family.

+ Reply to Thread